Add-on XenPorta 2.0 Portal & Framework Crowd-Fund!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that Jaxel uses most if not all of his add-ons on his own site, I personally don't doubt that the project will get completed... unless of course he abandons his site which will leave me with the larger dilemma of finding another place that covers SoulCalibur so thoroughly. :eek:

He has more XF enhancements that he has tailored specifically for 8wayrun.. yes, his motivation has been to enhance his personal website. I would not fund him to enhance his personal site as he already gets funded for that somehow?

I pledged as a show of support that the community of XenForo is willing to pay for quality addon's. I want to encourage as many talented developers as possible and a public show of support is something you can point to as an indicator of the health of the platform. (not the sole indicator, but a good one, nonetheless)

He has more XF enhancements that he has tailored specifically for 8wayrun.. yes, his motivation has been to enhance his personal website. I would not fund him to enhance his personal site as he already gets funded for that somehow?
I meant in response to all the people concerned about if/when the add-on will get finished. Since Jaxel utilizes the add-ons on his own site, there's reason to get it done for himself (I imagine) as much as providing it to the community (and selling it).

• Is this something you will be working on full time (ie 40+ hours a week)?
  • How will you balance your time between your other XF commitments?
  • How soon after reaching the 4K goal will development start?
  • Are the specs for XenPorta 2.0 complete? Or will you be adding/removing features on the fly?

I cant really give definite answers on any of this.

Yea, I'll pass. If you don't even want to engage in the last two. Have you really though this through at all? It doesn't seem like it.

the problem is that everybody keeps asking the same questions over and over and it becomes like a broken record. A simple structured FAQ with examples is needed. not just for XenPorta, but for all of these great addons, XenCarta especially.
I've caught myself asking the same questions that were already answered before. The XenPorta FAQ someone else created on here needs a lot more added to it IMO.

I meant in response to all the people concerned about if/when the add-on will get finished. Since Jaxel utilizes the add-ons on his own site, there's reason to get it done for himself (I imagine) as much as providing it to the community (and selling it).

I am eager to obtain the XenPorta 2.o addon when it becomes available. XenForo should include it in the core... as they are surely consuming other less popular addons and incorporating those

I won't be committing to this project as I don't have a need for a portal at this time. I did use XenPorta for a while though.

If I was one of those who was willing to commit some cash to this project, there are some things I'd want answers to:

1. What will XenPorta 2 offer that ExtraPortal + Widget Framework don't? Both of these are free add-ons, so what extra would supporters be getting for their money?
  2. More details of the support for XenPorta 2 - both ExtraPortal + Widget Framework receive a good level of support from their authors, so what would a supporter of XenPorta 2 get for a paid-for add-on?
  3. More details on what will be included in at least the first iteration of XenPorta 2 - what will it include, what won't be in it that will come later, will the 'privacy' issue be fixed (posts from private nodes are visible to all on the front page in the Recent News block) seeing as add-ons like Featured Threads can do this properly?
  4. Is the date for completion for XenPorta 2.0 really December 2014 as detailed on the project page?! That's quite a wait for anyone supporting this

Anyway, good luck to everyone supporting this. :)

I'd have really loved if Jaxel had promised a release date about 3 months from now. I'm not sure if that's even possible. But since it's a rewrite, I think it could be done earlier. I'm holding off for some time.

Reactions: gfc
I'm going to wait and see if more information is made public about XenPorta 2.0. I know there are only good intentions when Jaxel decided to crowdfund this project but it may turn into something that I don't need.

1. Is the date for completion for XenPorta 2.0 really December 2014 as detailed on the project page?! That's quite a wait for anyone supporting this
If I am reading this correctly, this wouldn't be completed until December 2014, correct?

This has been answered several times, its on the Pozible page itself. You have to put a date, period. The second problem is that only an idiot (read Electronic Arts) would commit to a date for something that is not already nearing completion. Only bad things can come from setting a date, failures and shortcuts. To put it simple there is no date. It shouldn't take anywhere near that long and it probably won't.

It's part of the reason you will never see a roadmap for Xenforo or its official addons. When you have funding ahead of time you never announce your intention to make something. If you do people start out snowballing until it reaches an avalanche asking questions and demanding dates. With a crowd funded project obviously people want answers before they invest but it doesn't change the fact that the one answer that shouldn't be on the table is a date. People want a figure as accurate as the month and thats way too accurate for something that isn't already in beta. Whats a good range? Hard to say I would put it 3 months past what I estimate the minimum time to complete is but thats just me.

Personally I really want this to come through and so far the funding doesn't look like its going to fail but you never know. Xenporta 1.5 is the closest single addon I have seen to vB Advanced and a couple of the 2.0 features put it closer. I mean if someone wants to actually do the work they can complain all they want. If I have to tell my people they need to use 2 plugins they are going to tell me unacceptable.

I don't think alot of people even think from the perspective of a person that doesn't have a steady paycheck coming in. I know I can relate as I do all my coding in my spare time and I don't even make enough to live off of these days.

Well, for $30 I'm always willing to throw in my chips....because I used Jaxel's free add-ons for a bit and now some of his paid ones.

Given the speed of the money collection, Jaxel, I'd say you can start work now....
:)

Given the speed of the money collection, Jaxel, I'd say you can start work now....
:)

LOL. I doubt the funding being successful impacts his start date. If he is anything like me I have code running through my head while I am at work, note pad if I need it. The money is about time. If your bills are paid you don't have to work extra shifts, longer hours or side jobs. Crowdfunding will certainly effect the completion date.

LOL. I doubt the funding being successful impacts his start date. If he is anything like me I have code running through my head while I am at work, note pad if I need it. The money is about time. If your bills are paid you don't have to work extra shifts, longer hours or side jobs. Crowdfunding will certainly effect the completion date.
Haha... with a big addon like this... I run code through my head for about a month, before I start programming it down. Its about a month, because I'm always occupied with something else until then. Even XenRio, which is one of my smallest addons took me about two weeks of "alpha" running code in my head.

But yes, there is no set date. I put Dec 2014 because pozible required me to set a date. This is all explained in the "risks" section of the crowd-fund. I would estimate the date to be more like April or May; but I don't want to guarantee anything.

I won't be committing to this project as I don't have a need for a portal at this time. I did use XenPorta for a while though.

If I was one of those who was willing to commit some cash to this project, there are some things I'd want answers to:

1. What will XenPorta 2 offer that ExtraPortal + Widget Framework don't? Both of these are free add-ons, so what extra would supporters be getting for their money?
  2. More details of the support for XenPorta 2 - both ExtraPortal + Widget Framework receive a good level of support from their authors, so what would a supporter of XenPorta 2 get for a paid-for add-on?
  3. More details on what will be included in at least the first iteration of XenPorta 2 - what will it include, what won't be in it that will come later, will the 'privacy' issue be fixed (posts from private nodes are visible to all on the front page in the Recent News block) seeing as add-ons like Featured Threads can do this properly?
  4. Is the date for completion for XenPorta 2.0 really December 2014 as detailed on the project page?! That's quite a wait for anyone supporting this

Anyway, good luck to everyone supporting this. :)
Hmm... you sure you are not interested in XenPorta?

Hmm... you sure you are not interested in XenPorta?
Not at this time. Currently I am very happy with Featured Threads. :) Though as a previous user those were questions that came to me if I was to consider a paid version of XenPorta in the future.

XenPorta right now "sort of" supports this. It doesn't schedule posts, but it can schedule promotions.
@Jaxel That's why i have to use a other add on along with porta, we deal with news that as set times and dates where it can not go public before them times and dates, But sometimes that news is when we know we would not be able to post so we have to schedule a post to auto post and get promoted. I think this is something that would be a must for Porta 2.0 and would be something many would be happy to have as its really a time saver.

Okay, I decided to contribute $30 and this is what PayPal presented to me -

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 10.50.43 am.webp

...and there's no way to change that! Why can't I just pay once and be happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom