1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on XenPorta 2.0 Portal & Framework Crowd-Fund!

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Discussions' started by Jaxel, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

The original version of XenPorta 1.0 was released a short four days after the open beta of the XenForo platform. It was created in order to fill the needs that people had with the platform and the lack of a front-page for their forums. XenPorta was released for free, because I was new to the platform and didn't feel comfortable charging for an under-produced and impossible to support piece of software. Some time later, I released XenPorta 1.5, which tacked a rudimentary widget framework onto the existing XenPorta 1.0 software.

XenPorta as it stands now is the most popular XenForo addon ever released. If you include the two years it was out before the implementation of the XenForo Resource Manager, it has been downloaded more times and has more response posts than any other addon. As such, I have in the past been unable to support XenPorta; especially since it was free.

It is now over 3 years later and I have learned so much about XenForo and the Zend platform... to the point that I have begun releasing premium, and fully supported versions of my software. However, since XenPorta is my oldest, and most popular software released yet, it requires the most amount of work to rewrite. Unfortunately, with the amount of work that is going to be required to rewrite XenPorta, development can not continue without proper funding.

Crowd-fund Link:
    http://www.pozible.com/xenporta

v2hao, adchased, Warchamp7 and 7 others like this.
  2. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

So are you looking to crowd fund and then give away free?

I'm interested - don't you think 250+ people per year would pay $30 or so for it (that's 7.5K per year continuously and maybe you could sell upgrades after a couple years?

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

The way I read it is he wants $4K to start on it, then a license looks to be ~$40/$50 (considering the discount is listed at $30, branding free at $70).

craigiri likes this.
  4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Why isn't XenPorta 2.0 considered a full CMS?

5. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting @Jaxel - can you just confirm please, once development is complete will this become a paid add-on?

6. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Screenshot_4.png

I assumed the part of "at this discounted price" meant it was going to be a paid add-on.

Lone Wolf and SneakyDave like this.
  7. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Because a portal and a cms are not even comparable. XenForo itself is a cms, it has different content types, allows you to make new content types, it's a system that manages content through and through.

In comparison, a portal is the front page solution that's pretty much a landing page... it's more or a content displayer than it is a content manager. IP.Content would be a content manager. Where you can dynamically make new content types that can all look and act differently.

Good luck getting funded and good luck with your project, @Jaxel

8. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Okay so think of "Portal" as a landing page such as XenPorta and "Content Management System" as something that manages widgets on all pages like "BD Widget Framework". K. Got it. (y)

9. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Eh. :/ no.

I don't want to hi jack the thread but bd widget framework is also just a content displayer. A cms gives you the ability to manage content. XenForo itself is a cms for the reason I specified before. Aside from that. There is no true cms add on. A cms add on would allow you to quickly make content types (galleries, articles, whatever) on your own.

rootsxrocks likes this.
  10. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

It will be a paid addon.

I want to add CMS features to it... but I don't want to call it a full-fledged CMS, because most of the content will be managed using XenForo threads.

11. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

I'm interested; but I already have purchased a branding free XenPorta. What are my options? :)

12. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

Your branding removal for 1.5 will transfer to 2.0.

Brad L, Volion, Alien and 1 other person like this.
  13. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

Maybe the developer will give us a CMS !
    .......................... or maybe not ....

14. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Woohooo!!!! I'm in!! Pledging!!

15. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

What happens on Pozible if the target isn't reached? Do they only take the money when it reaches the target like Kickstarter?

@Jaxel, what are you plans if you reach say only half the target?

Edit: Oh and do the rewards stack?

16. MegaFora

MegaFora Member

Yes, Pozible is all-or-nothing, same as kickstarter - if the goal isn't reached, nothing happens.

@Jaxel, I've been looking for a portal that will auto-promote the threads and posts that have the most likes in a recent period (last 7 days for instance), a bit like the Reddit front page - will XenPorta 2.0 have anything like that? If so, I'm in for $100 at least.

Alien and DRE like this.
  17. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Go on then, count me in - 1 x branding free license. Haven't got a clue what I'll do with it, but it seems like a good project to support. (y)

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

18. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

With the way I want to do the promotion system... I could easily program that in, but it won't be on the first pass of features.

19. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

The rewards do stack. I've changed the descriptions to make this more evident.

20. mistypants

mistypants Well-Known Member

Pledged. :) Good luck reaching the goal! Given how many people use XenPorta, I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Amaury likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.