XenForo Wikipedia Entry

That page is nicely growing at the moment :D... I like it, I can refresh every 20-30 min and it gains a handful of words.

Just added a Features section, if you guys want to help me add content it would be great. Make sure your english is good because i don't want the article to be deleted :)
That page is nicely growing at the moment :D... I like it, I can refresh every 20-30 min and it gains a handful of words.

The quickest way to get the article deleted is by adding information without sourcing it to reliable, 3rd party references*. I'm just trying to be helpful here.

If anyone here is going to add information, please read these two pages and understand them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources

* examples of reliable third party (XenForo itself is not a 3rd party source) sources would be a published book/journal/periodical, an newspaper article, etc.

ue to rapid growth of community activity, Peggy Gurney and Lawrence Kazimer were added as moderators soon thereafter.[2][3] Ashley Busby, former Jelsoft business manager, is heading the business development.

Ashley was already on the team, before any xenmod was added.

The quickest way to get the article deleted is by adding information without sourcing it to reliable, 3rd party references*. I'm just trying to be helpful here.

If anyone here is going to add information, please read these two pages and understand them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources

* examples of reliable third party (XenForo itself is not a 3rd party source) sources would be a published book/journal/periodical, an newspaper article, etc.

Based on the 2nd link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources a reliable source may be the piece of work itself (the article, paper, document, book), the creator of the work (for example, the writer).

You need to reference that what is said on Wikipedia is true, so stating that the creators of XenForo have said XYZ feature is planned it would be fine to link to a them saying it here on xenForo as a source... Saying that xenForo is the #1 forum in the world would require linking to a 3rd party site where that is shown and researched.

ue to rapid growth of community activity, Peggy Gurney and Lawrence Kazimer were added as moderators soon thereafter.[2][3] Ashley Busby, former Jelsoft business manager, is heading the business development.

Ashley was already on the team, before any xenmod was added.

There is a full stop there so I would say that is a new sentence though it is in the wrong place really.

Based on the 2nd link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources a reliable source may be the piece of work itself (the article, paper, document, book), the creator of the work (for example, the writer).

You need to reference that what is said on Wikipedia is true, so stating that the creators of XenForo have said XYZ feature is planned it would be fine to link to a them saying it here on xenForo as a source... Saying that xenForo is the #1 forum in the world would require linking to a 3rd party site where that is shown and researched.
Yes, primary sources may be used for information in an article, but not for establishing that Wikipedia should contain an article about the given subject matter, in this case XenForo.

Since there are currently no reliable third-party sources that verify the information about XenForo, at the very best, the article should be very short (3 to 5 sentences), or should not be there at all, until such time as the information and the notability of XenForo can be proved via reliable third-party sources.

The best stance at this time would be to leave the article alone (or to even trim it way down) and above all stop adding non-verifiable information to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability
On Wikipedia, notability determines whether a topic merits its own article. Information on Wikipedia must be verifiable; if no reliable third-party sources can be found on a topic, then it should not have a separate article. Wikipedia's concept of notability applies this basic standard to avoid indiscriminate inclusion of topics. Article topics must be notable, or "worthy of notice." Determining notability does not necessarily depend on things like fame, importance, or popularity—although those may enhance the acceptability of a subject that meets the guidelines explained below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GNG#General_notability_guideline
If a topic has received significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject, it is presumed to satisfy the inclusion criteria for a stand-alone article.

* "Significant coverage" means that sources address the subject directly in detail, so no original research is needed to extract the content. Significant coverage is more than a trivial mention but it need not be the main topic of the source material.[1]
* "Reliable" means sources need editorial integrity to allow verifiable evaluation of notability, per the reliable source guideline. Sources may encompass published works in all forms and media, and in any language. Availability of secondary sources covering the subject is a good test for notability.
* "Sources,"[2] for notability purposes, should be secondary sources, as those provide the most objective evidence of notability. The number and nature of reliable sources needed varies depending on the depth of coverage and quality of the sources. Multiple sources are generally expected.[3] Multiple publications from the same author or organization are usually regarded as a single source for the purposes of establishing notability.
* "Independent of the subject" excludes works produced by those affiliated with the subject including (but not limited to): self-publicity, advertising, self-published material by the subject, autobiographies, press releases, etc.[4]
* "Presumed" means that significant coverage in reliable sources establishes a presumption, not a guarantee, that a subject is suitable for inclusion. Editors may reach a consensus that although a topic meets this criterion, it is not appropriate for a stand-alone article. For example, such an article may violate what Wikipedia is not.[5]

A topic for which this criterion is deemed to have been met by consensus, is usually worthy of notice, and satisfies one of the criteria for a stand-alone article in the encyclopedia. Verifiable facts and content not supported by multiple independent sources may be appropriate for inclusion within another article.

1) Setup a XenForo news site/blog.
2) Re-post all pertinent information about XenForo on said news site/blog.
3) Cite said news site/blog as 3rd-party source.
4) ???
5) Profit!

Oh snap! Last time I checked it was pretty bare!

All I'm saying is whoever added the pronunciation is a genius *cough* WHAT? WHAT?!

But seriously, let's hope we get more information in the upcoming weeks/months to add more to this and get the word out! I'm looking at the PHPBB article and thinking, "you know, that could be us!" Just give it some time, and I'm sure we won't be without plenty of goodies to add :D

That's how I found out about this place. Without it, I probably wouldn't have known for many months, if ever. Bet you're kicking yourselves now, eh? :D

Kudos to everyone involved in that article. It looks very professional, especially as XF hasn't even been released yet.

a third-party-reference might be the website www.kierdarby.com ?

not sure if Mike has a personal blog/website as well ?
1) Setup a XenForo news site/blog.
2) Re-post all pertinent information about XenForo on said news site/blog.
3) Cite said news site/blog as 3rd-party source.
4) ???
5) Profit!

Absolutely not. You can re-read the links I posted in message #29 if you want :) The sources must be reliable (real newspapers, magazines, books etc), independent of the subject (not affiliated with Kier, Mike, or XenForo), and must provide significant coverage of the subject (they can't just mention the subject, they have to be about the subject).

Top Bottom