Placing quoted text immediately into a quote box within the text entry area, even before the comment is posted

Hip

On a forum I read (the LongeCity forum), when composing a comment and quoting someone else's post, the quoted text is immediately placed into a quote box displayed within the text entry box, even before the comment is posted, as the screenshot below demonstrates:

Screenshot from LongeCity showing how text you quote while composing your comment is put into a quote box straightaway
Text box from longecity forum.webp

In the above LongeCity forum, once you have quoted a post and it gets inserted as a quote box, you can type in your own comment below (or above) that quote box. You can also edit the quoted text in the quote box while working on your comment in the text entry box.

I would like to see this functionality included on XenForo. At present, on XenForo when you quote a post, the text is placed within two BBcode quote tags, like this:

[QUOTE="MemberName, post: 12345678, member: 1234" ]​
This is the text of someone else's post from earlier in the thread which has been quoted using the​
Reply button, and has been placed in between two quote tags and inserted into the text entry box.​
[/QUOTE]​

Sometimes I observe inexperienced users of a XenForo forum quoting a post and then erroneously typing their own comment in the area between those two quote tags. This occurs because some users don't understand the function of the two quote tags. Then when they post their comment, it results in their comment being incorporated into quote box, rather than standing on its own beneath the quote box. This can be confusing for readers.

So this is why placing quoted text immediately into a quote box the moment it is first quoted makes sense.

Upvote 8
That's a neat feature.

It's not just inexperienced users who have accidentally typed their comments into quoted test, I think many of us have done this from time to time due to accidental clicks in the wrong place, especially when using multiple quotes.

Top Bottom