XenForo Wikipedia Entry

It was marked for deletion because Wikipedia is not a crystal ball. It does not state that because the software isn't released we cannot write an article on it (unless I misunderstood on my skim-read), it just asks that you aren't advertising and/or putting up unverified information.

As far as I can see, everything on there is verifiable.

As far as I can see, everything on there is verifiable.

Read the Wikipedia policy on notability for encyclopedic subjects. Do you think XenForo passes the criteria?

If you (speaking to everyone in this thread) flock to Wikipedia and try to disrupt the process there, the article will not only be deleted, it will also be salted which blocks it from recreation at a future date. Please just ignore the Wikipedia article, let it be deleted via due process, if that is what is ultimately decided. Then, when there are proper grounds to recreate the article in the future (articles about XenForo in real-life newspapers/magazines/books) then the article can be recreated.

If you try to descend upon Wikipedia to "save" the article, you will ultimately hurt XenForo.

That's typical for Wikipedia. Huge company that makes millions = ok. Small / unknown company = delete because it's probably just spam. The people that run that place are using very strange principles. If they don't know it, it's not important, so it shouldn't be mentioned.

It's not really about being a huge, profitable company or being a small, lesser known company. It's whether or not a given topic is worthy of having an encyclopedia entry. To be worthy, the topic must be "notable" (worthy of being noted/noticed) as defined by already having been noticed to a significant degree by reliable independent sources such as books, scholarly publications, and reliable news sources. If a given topic passes that litmus test, then the existence of an encyclopedia entry on it is justified.

To put it in easier-to-understand terms, when the BBC publishes an article about the new forum software XenForo, then it can have a Wikipedia article.

Just to reiterate what Enigma has said, please leave the Wikipedia article to run its natural course - it was too early to create the entry when it was (we didn't create it) so I can understand there being controversy surrounding it. When XenForo is available to buy, that will be an appropriate time for a Wikipedia entry to be started. And who knows, perhaps there will be a BBC article about us by then.

It's not really about being a huge, profitable company or being a small, lesser known company. It's whether or not a given topic is worthy of having an encyclopedia entry. To be worthy, the topic must be "notable" (worthy of being noted/noticed) as defined by already having been noticed to a significant degree by reliable independent sources such as books, scholarly publications, and reliable news sources. If a given topic passes that litmus test, then the existence of an encyclopedia entry on it is justified.

To put it in easier-to-understand terms, when the BBC publishes an article about the new forum software XenForo, then it can have a Wikipedia article.
Let's just say I have different experiences with it. But even that criteria seems very strange for an online encyclopedia 'if it hasn't been in the media, we do not publish it' :confused:

But I stay out of it anyway, I once thought it was a great project, but it is now taken over by an elite group that thinks they can decide for all others.

That's typical for Wikipedia. Huge company that makes millions = ok. Small / unknown company = delete because it's probably just spam. The people that run that place are using very strange principles. If they don't know it, it's not important, so it shouldn't be mentioned.

You don't want to know what various groups I've run across think of Wikipedia and their editing policies ;) Am quite surprised really, but then don't pay much attention to the site besides the odd checking of various strange notions.

Seriously?! That IPA pronunciation took me forever too...

Sigh, screw wikipedia sometimes. Oh well, I get tired of seeing the same thing there, anyway

tumblr_lc50dmfjCt1qzrlhgo1_r1_500.png

Top Bottom