XenForo RAM Requirements

I noticed some people are trying to put their service quality down and that is visible because the very large number of users OVH has. You will always notice first the bad reviews but never the good ones, plus if someone did not had issues, it is rarely the case they will post a positive review. Fortunately, whoever is a knowledgeable sysadmin can see the value they offer and discard the nonsense non-technical people post.
If it's a Kimsufi junker, then no, they aren't worth the money. The others may be - but honestly I'm not going to take a chance with them when there are other providers out there that are just as good and the same (or maybe a little higher) than what they charge. All I know is that a lot of my bot/hack/spam traffic I am getting from the EU resolves back to OVH. I personally don't want the hassle of having to clean up a bunch of IP's that I'm issued that some dweeb got a cheap server on and went on a SPAM rampage. :ROFLMAO:
I was going to try a couple of their larger servers out, but all of them were in the Sold Out status - so they must be popular. I'm just going to wait to hear back from @Mike Edge on what he can do on a dedicated E5-26xx series box that I sent him specs on and then compare it to my current provider and go with one of them - or just end up buying my own server and do a co-lo with it.

Fortunately, whoever is a knowledgeable sysadmin can see the value they offer and discard the nonsense non-technical people post.

It's actually the technical people and sysadmins who steer far clear from OVH.

Not myself, nor other knowledgeable people I know.

You know me. :) I would never in a million years trust my business with their datacenter. With all the network problems and downtime they've had in the last year alone, I would be out of business.

Well...it's only a fiber cut. No big deal. Then next month you get another 5 hours worth of downtime. Then you get the network congestion with horrible performance (though I heard this has improved).

No big deal. Well then you get the horror stories of it taking days or even over a week (!!!!) to replace failed hardware. A week to replace hardware in a production environment? My hardware is replaced in under 30 minutes, and if it's causing the server to go down, less than 15. And I don't even have to be around. The datacenters take care of that on their own without any prodding or dozens of tickets. Can't really complain about the 100% network uptime I've had with them for years either.

Not to mention it is my understanding that the OVH hardware is just plain unreliable to begin with. People get servers with SMART errors on the drives, drives that are near-EOL, etc.

Maybe you have just gotten really lucky, but nobody I know would ever trust OVH with their business. It only takes a quick visit to WHT or one of the other dedicated hosting forums to see the horror stories. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
I like your style, I mean it in a respectful way. Still smiling, heh. :giggle:
I guess I'm lucky with the hardware... and other people I set there their servers from scratch. In fact, because of them I switched to OVH. Although, I'm the only one that has the $50 plan. Anyone else has the Enterprise plans suited for their needs.

Reactions: rdn
I can't fault the SYS server I have with them. Signed up almost as soon as the SYS range was available.

I've got plenty of backups in place, so if the worst happens and something happens to the HW, I'll just move elsewhere. Until then, for £40 a month, it's brilliant value.

Hello,

Is there any update to this after 6 years and in regard to the latest Xenforo V.2.1 ?

I received a server running out of memory warning from the server the last day, Xenforo is the only thing running on that server and it has 64 GB ram and 12 cores - never had this issue before. Any help or updated info is much appreciated.

The same ADD ons as usually.. I had PUSH NOTIFICATION enabled, now I disabled them because I thought it could be the problem maybe.

Hello,

Is there any update to this after 6 years and in regard to the latest Xenforo V.2.1 ?

I received a server running out of memory warning from the server the last day, Xenforo is the only thing running on that server and it has 64 GB ram and 12 cores - never had this issue before. Any help or updated info is much appreciated.

I also would like to know how much RAM is recommended for XF 2.1x

Also whether push notifications can cause MySQL crashes if you have only 8GB RAM.

I can tell you with 256 GB RAM you still want to disable push notification, it will suck up all your RAM. It's just not good for bigger forums!

RAID1 with spinning disks is horrible, but with modern NMVe SSDs; I/O is for any sane level forum is "solved".

I've got a server "idling" doing ~780 IOP with <6% CPU usage and a load average of 1.4

I can tell you with 256 GB RAM you still want to disable push notification, it will suck up all your RAM. It's just not good for bigger forums!
Works fine for for several large and busy sites. Just throw away apache mod-php, and use php-fpm.

Last edited:
We’ve got a bit of a unique setup for our forum, due to the large amounts of download traffic.

We are running very slimmed out, we have CloudFlare handling our firewall and load balancing between 4 web servers; All of them are 1gb, 25gb storage, 1cpu.
We have a small elastic search cluster, and have Redis/MySQL managed for us.

we can handle up to 1500 concurrent users with nginx/php, with minimal slow downs. Bearing in mind if we know a large resource is coming out, we try to scale vertically adding more ram and cpu resources, with a LB’d setup - we can do this live and prevent an outage to our customers.

we run php7.4-fpm with 384MB, with pool mode set to static (average your static max off of your installations average php memory usage. Ideally leaving 5-10% ram for overhead.

We use S3 to handle our file storage.

Bearing in mind our setup is far from traditional and most people would elect for a dedi; Our solution was to provide an highly available configuration due to the nature of our traffic.

Big benefit of using a setup like this: you get to save costs when your traffic is not at peak, and be cost effective when you do peak.

I am also a big advocate for a DBaaS (Managed Databases), this gives you insane peace of mind for your database data, we’re able to roll back to the second on our databases making recovery events easy.

We’ve got a bit of a unique setup for our forum, due to the large amounts of download traffic.

We are running very slimmed out, we have CloudFlare handling our firewall and load balancing between 4 web servers; All of them are 1gb, 25gb storage, 1cpu.
We have a small elastic search cluster, and have Redis/MySQL managed for us.

we can handle up to 1500 concurrent users with nginx/php, with minimal slow downs. Bearing in mind if we know a large resource is coming out, we try to scale vertically adding more ram and cpu resources, with a LB’d setup - we can do this live and prevent an outage to our customers.

we run php7.4-fpm with 384MB, with pool mode set to static (average your static max off of your installations average php memory usage. Ideally leaving 5-10% ram for overhead.

We use S3 to handle our file storage.

Bearing in mind our setup is far from traditional and most people would elect for a dedi; Our solution was to provide an highly available configuration due to the nature of our traffic.

Big benefit of using a setup like this: you get to save costs when your traffic is not at peak, and be cost effective when you do peak.

I am also a big advocate for a DBaaS (Managed Databases), this gives you insane peace of mind for your database data, we’re able to roll back to the second on our databases making recovery events easy.

I am about to develop a large forum. Can you share specs of your servers? Do you recommend multi core/multi-cpus? I am amazed you are doing it with low specs.

Whare are you getting DBaas? and why not use your own servers for that?

you are using s3 for member files or for xen file storage? if for xen, how do you do that?

I split the webserver into several pool.

One php-fpm pool for CPU intensive stuff with fairly short php timeouts which is 1 per CPU, and then another pool for external IO intensive (url unfurl, proxy, signups) with a much higher count and much laxer php request time-outs. I also do stuff like ensure admincp gets it's dedicated php-fpm pool, and different rate limiting per nginx location.

I am about to develop a large forum. Can you share specs of your servers? Do you recommend multi core/multi-cpus? I am amazed you are doing it with low specs.

Whare are you getting DBaas? and why not use your own servers for that?

you are using s3 for member files or for xen file storage? if for xen, how do you do that?
Spec's were listed above in our main post. Keep in mind every forum has different requirements. Our forum handles large bursts of traffic when mod packages get uploaded to our gaming community. We require multiple servers for the extended throughput. If we did not have our mod resource, we would probably be using a single server.

XenForo requires their attachments/downloads to be uncompressed/decoded by php (not publicly facing, using <hash>.data); We are considering a different solution that would effectively modify XFRM to make large volumes of downloads less crippling. (proper offloading of s3 to nginx with cache, implementing a queue system, etc).

Right now with CloudFlare we have defined rules that cache attachments (in posts) so it doesn't have to request the data from our origin servers, thus reducing the amount of requests to our infrastructure.

Our approach was to eliminate as many requests as possible from origin and offload it to our CDN/Cache Layer, this is why we are able to run as slim as we do. Bearing in mind, we cannot sustain a major release with these low-specs. We end up scaling our servers anywhere from 8-16GB of ram, and 4-8 cores of cpu performance per node for up to 12 hours when we have a major release upcoming.

S3 stores our internal_data, and our external_data. in two separate buckets to spread out rate limit requests. We use DigitalOcean for our backend so we can leverage the free transit inside the same data-centers.

DBaaS from DigitalOcean is much cheaper in comparison to running our own highly-available database cluster. If we did it ourselves, it would cost us 30-50$/month with 3 servers, not even mentioning the extended amounts of time we would need to spend maintaining and optimizing. Why spend more when there is an already baked solution?

Curious how many max children you allocate per CPU?
This depends on each XenForo installation, you would want to audit your php process via terminal and determine the amount of ram each php-fpm child is using while your forum is active. Our results ended up being 384MB, meaning we can effectively fit 2 children per gb/node while accommodating file sync and nginx.

currently we are experiencing higher than average traffic so we have scaled up to more workers by moving up a node size.

Our end goal is to turn our installation into a kubernetes solution that we can offer.

I split the webserver into several pool.

One php-fpm pool for CPU intensive stuff with fairly short php timeouts which is 1 per CPU, and then another pool for external IO intensive (url unfurl, proxy, signups) with a much higher count and much laxer php request time-outs. I also do stuff like ensure admincp gets it's dedicated php-fpm pool, and different rate limiting per nginx location.
Never thought to separate pools for different functions, Ill have to look further into this as implementing this on our Kubernetes service would probably be extremely beneficial. Thanks for the tip @Xon

Hi all, had a bit of a question about server plans. Things like bandwidth and disk space are pretty simple to look at, but I'm curious about a few things:
  • How do you decide how much RAM a site requires? Is it dependent on the site's traffic, the size of the database, users online, etc.?
  • How much RAM does your server have?
  • Are there different levels of RAM for servers, like with PCs? (DDR, DDR2, DDR3)
Been looking at hosting plans and I don't want to get too little RAM but I also don't want to pay for more than I need (even reasonably considering spikes). Most low-end VPS plans have plenty of disk space (I only need like 20GB max) and bandwidth for me, but I've never been sure how much RAM is "enough."

For reference, the site has ~3.9mil posts, ~55k members, with about ~200 members active per day.

This site may not remove vps. This site database and files are fluffy and also a lot of users. Dedicated server for this site. at least 32GB of ram is required.

"For reference, the site has ~3.9mil posts, ~55k members, with about ~200 members active per day."

I especially paid attention to the following.

Top Bottom