XenForo RAM Requirements

@WSWD, did you looked at the price?

I did. I won't disagree...it's not a bad price. But you can get similar elsewhere on a non-overloaded network. Until recently when I got rid of it, I had pretty much those exact specs (though with a E5-1650) with dual 1gbps DEDICATED (none of this burst crap). And that was ages ago. I have no doubt my provider could either match this price or come very close, and that's with dedicated bandwidth on a real network.

I keep hearing horror story after horror story.
I never had a single issue with them in last 2 years. I think the problem is people don't know how to manage their servers and rely on OVH support which are not experienced... I had to teach one of the OVH reps how to configure properly a network card alert as they were complaining about some irregularity on network pushed from one of my IP's. So ya, if you know what yo are doing, you will never have an issue. Myself, I installed from scratch the OS on headless mode, instead of relying on their original bloated setup with a custom kernel. No thanks.

The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to get the one I showed and move my current stuff over to it. 4 times the RAM, 8 times the storage and less than double the price.
It'll be running virtualization so the extra memory and the dual processors will be nice.

@Tracy Perry, I'll post a tutorial on my site soon how to setup your preferred OS on OVH using a headless mode. Is sooooo easy, is like running your KVM without the OVH fee. Plus, everything is installed to my standards, with proper partitioning, true minimal install, etc.

This is exactly what I said when OVH was suggested earlier (soyoustart is OVH). Software RAID1 is going to be slow...very likely slower than a VPS, even though it's a dedicated server. You certainly aren't going to get 32GB of RAM or 2TB of drive space on a VPS, but what good do either do when your i/o is crappy?

You can't customize the drive config at all, plus you have that pesky $69 setup fee, even though NOBODY has setup fees on servers anymore.

Why OVH servers are slower than a VPS?

Aside from the crappy network as @Tracy Perry noted, a lot of people don't understand how powerful VPS nodes with reputable companies are. At the very least you are going to have 4 drives in a RAID10 setup. You then go to a 1 drive or 2 drive software RAID setup on your dedicated server, and your disk i/o is cut remarkably over what you had with the VPS.

I can't tell you how many people don't understand that, and we make sure to explain it thoroughly to every single client who wants to upgrade to a dedicated server. Now upgrade that dedicated server to a RAID10 setup of some sort and you're going to generally be okay, now that you have the dedicated resources and good drive array. But you aren't going to find that for $50/mo. or even $100/mo. in a good datacenter.

I never had a single issue with them in last 2 years. I think the problem is people don't know how to manage their servers and rely on OVH support which are not experienced... I had to teach one of the OVH reps how to configure properly a network card alert as they were complaining about some irregularity on network pushed from one of my IP's. So ya, if you know what yo are doing, you will never have an issue. Myself, I installed from scratch the OS on headless mode, instead of relying on their original bloated setup with a custom kernel. No thanks.
I'm also using OVH since December 2013, still don't have any issues.

Aside from the crappy network as @Tracy Perry noted, a lot of people don't understand how powerful VPS nodes with reputable companies are. At the very least you are going to have 4 drives in a RAID10 setup. You then go to a 1 drive or 2 drive software RAID setup on your dedicated server, and your disk i/o is cut remarkably over what you had with the VPS.
And to add to that... unless things have changed, the "onboard" RAID is usually not much different than software RAID AFAIK.

I never used VPS, always dedicated. I headless reinstalled and configured my server from scratch and I can assure you it is blistering fast, for the hardware they provide. Obviously, if you leave it set the way they have by default, there are going to be some slowdowns. Remember, OVH are not server experts, they just offer very cheap packages but have very little knowledge on server optimization.
You mean as far as network speed? Congested (crappy?) network. I noticed a few OVH servers (the kimsufi's) that I worked on some folks for were REAL crappy on network speed.
I don't know about that, those numbers look OK to me with my $50 server.

latency-day.webp
Where is that plan? :D
They are sold out, for now.

Reactions: rdn
I don't know about that, those numbers look OK to me with my $50 server.
Not bad... my EU/Asia is a little higher - but my forums are more targeted towards the US, and I want my times down lower... which to me the below are acceptable. :p
I'm also doing extensive iptables filtering for EU/Asia based IP's and this is running on a VPS.

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 11.28.07 AM.webp

All the network issues are completely aside from the fact that they are 1/2 billion dollars in debt. Yes...billion with a b. Of course, I'm sure the EU would just bail them out, so I don't expect them to go out of business anytime soon, but there's something wrong when a company has accrued that much debt.

All the network issues are completely aside from the fact that they are 1/2 billion dollars in debt.
When they go out of business, I will look for another provider. Until then, I will take advantage of their great prices.
I noticed some people are trying to put their service quality down and that is visible because the very large number of users OVH has. You will always notice first the bad reviews but never the good ones, plus if someone did not had issues, it is rarely the case they will post a positive review. Fortunately, whoever is a knowledgeable sysadmin can see the value they offer and discard the nonsense non-technical people post.

Top Bottom