xenforo.com page going black before showing thread

So I've noticed something like this as well,

Using IE9, sometimes the quickreply area turns black when moving away from a page. IE, I click away, to load a new thread, and the quickreply area turns black. Also, this occurs sometimes that the thread preview tooltip turns black after I click a link to load a thread. It's very random, difficult to reproduce, and seems to happen only initially visiting the site, but resolves after loading random 4-5 pages.

beat_dead_horse.webp

Just as an observation from the sidelines; There are a couple three threads here and there which point out some functionality issue. Those threads then get resolved with "Well, this isn't a Xenforo issue, it's a browser bug, TinyMCE issue, HTML5 issue, yadda yadda yadda!"

While this is perfectly acceptable in communication between XF and admins, it horribly fails between admins and users. The user doesn't care when a problem is the result of TinyMCE. The user notices that something sucks and they move on to one of the many alternatives they have. Simple as that.

I can appreciate that the XF team can't fix a browser bug, but I do wonder why the very same browser bug doesn't affect the other forum scripts out there in the same way thereby not annoying the users of those scripts.

Somewhere K&M wrote that folks who purchase XF pay for what it is today and that future features which may or may not materialize should not be part of the purchasing decision. This does lead one to reason that XF itself should be coded for today's real world environment rather than to standards which may or may not be followed in the future. I don't have a specific example but if something can be done to fix a certain issue but it's non-standards compliant, then it should be done rather than be dismissed as "not our fault that XYZ failed to implement whatever".

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter who's fault something is because the user will find fault with the forum and just leave when they come across something that annoys them even though the same action did not annoy them when they were using a different script.

The behavior is client side, this topic is useless .. The code hasn't changed as reported.

It is clear why it's happening, how it is created, and how it can be resolved. The code hasn't changed, and it's there .. so.. not sure what people want tbh.

Look, I really don't understand some of the responses to this thread. I might be wrong, but I'm sensing some hostility. I know the 'net can be a difficult place to get a read on expressions, so I'll just explain myself.

I'm just a customer here. I own a few licenses, that's all. I saw something that personally, to me, doesn't look professional. Something, that if it was happening on my site, I'd like someone to reach out an notify me. I don't have to take the time. I could be an unconcerned person and just not care. It's easy to just forget about trying to make a difference or explain things away. It takes effort to try and help. The poster above, "User", took his time to write something beneficial to developers but didn't even get a response. I find that telling...Personally Floris, I don't know what your position is here, but closing threads is something I witnessed and expect from VB. We all know how well that goes over.

I'm not the bad guy. I like XF... I want it to succeed. I don't think anyone should be face palming in this thread. Some just understand coding a bit more than others. Myself, I've been on the 'net since it started. (In computers well before that). I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 domains. I code a fair amount myself. I sometimes ask questions to get a dialog and to help others that might search for the answers later. XF has a really opportunity to be something great and I support Mike & Kier. I also think these are defining times for how the little things get dealt with.....

Aloha

Look, I really don't understand some of the responses to this thread. I might be wrong, but I'm sensing some hostility. I know the 'net can be a difficult place to get a read on expressions, so I'll just explain myself.

I'm just a customer here. I own a few licenses, that's all. I saw something that personally, to me, doesn't look professional. Something, that if it was happening on my site, I'd like someone to reach out an notify me. I don't have to take the time. I could be an unconcerned person and just not care. It's easy to just forget about trying to make a difference or explain things away. It takes effort to try and help. The poster above, "User", took his time to write something beneficial to developers but didn't even get a response. I find that telling...Personally Floris, I don't know what your position is here, but closing threads is something I witnessed and expect from VB. We all know how well that goes over.

I'm not the bad guy. I like XF... I want it to succeed. I don't think anyone should be face palming in this thread. Some just understand coding a bit more than others. Myself, I've been on the 'net since it started. (In computers well before that). I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 domains. I code a fair amount myself. I sometimes ask questions to get a dialog and to help others that might search for the answers later. XF has a really opportunity to be something great and I support Mike & Kier. I also think these are defining times for how the little things get dealt with.....

Aloha
Floris has no position here.

Thank you for your feedback. The black background appears when the web browser delays rendering the page content for a variety of reasons, and is a result of the HTML necessary to build the footer displayed here. I appreciate that you think it's appearance is terribly unprofessional, but in my opinion the same as the white flash one would see on a website with a white background. Given that it does not affect the final rendered page, and that it's appearance is infrequent, I do not anticipate making any changes at this time.

He wrote it, I believe what he said.
You have no source code to compare to show me otherwise ..

This is not gonna go anywhere if you are stubrn.

CLOSE THREAD?

I was trying to be sarcastic, but couldnt find an appropriate smiley but if youd have seen my previous post in this thread you would have got it.

Top Bottom