XenForo Beta6, very disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure the guys have a roadmap that they are sticking too. To implement every single suggestion would just push back the releases further and further, and as we know not every suggestion will make it into Xenforo.

Me too.
No new template hooks
badteeth.gif
*scnr*

The correct definition of a Beta means it should be feature locked.

Constantly adding new features introduces the possibility of new bugs* and extends the time it takes for the software to be released as stable.

Personally I am extremely pleased with the new features in Beta 6, it's a lot more than I expected.

* As proven:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...n-server-error-when-trying-to-register.10427/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/fixed-q-a-captcha-dosent-work.10429/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/register-new-feed-php-error.10386/

I very disappointed when i read all modification in this thread.

Sure, there are interesting additions, but almost none of the important suggestions made by members.

What's going on ?

They're refining existing features which to be honest I find a perfectly acceptable path to take. Remember in other solutions when they pile on the crap? half assed features just to bloat a software? not good. I much prefer them going this route, building upon the existing features, enhancing them, improving them and when they are happy to release the package as gold that is when I expect those new requested features to be implemented.

Wasn't one of the biggest things against vB that they tried to please so many people that it turned into bloatware? And one of the praises for XF is that it's smooth, clean and fast?

Give them the chance to make their product! If these suggestions aren't implemented in release, then someone will make an addon and you can download/add what you want.

As far as im concerned Question and Answer CAPTCHA was the biggest one i was waiting on.. Glad to see it made it in this release.. The Feeder is also a welcomed addition for one of my forums. The rest are great.. But for me at least those where the biggies..

Keep up the great work KMA, looking forward to RC1

I very disappointed when i read all modification in this thread.

Sure, there are interesting additions, but almost none of the important suggestions made by members.

What's going on ?

You sir, need to learn what a BETA release is, let me google that for you and get a definition.

Google said:
preliminary or testing stage of a software or hardware product; "a beta version"; "beta software"

So, what can we learn by this, it's in it's testing stage, thus meaning that they aren't really interested in putting new stuff in (although, in this case, they've introduced some pretty big features), and the rest of their time would go into fixing minor or major issues.

C'mon, just take a look at the Resolved Bugs forum, How about you be patient for a stable release, then they can go ahead with rolling out new features, like your suggested ones.

The correct definition of a Beta means it should be feature locked.

Constantly adding new features introduces the possibility of new bugs and extends the time it takes for the software to be released as stable.

Personally I am extremely pleased with the new features in Beta 6, it's a lot more than I expected.
For you.

I think it is interesting to add features in the beta.
XenForo is fast and fluid due to few features it has, but I think a lot of functionalitylighter and faster to implement could have been added.
Example: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-search-this-thread.1195/

They're refining existing features which to be honest I find a perfectly acceptable path to take. Remember in other solutions when they pile on the crap? half assed features just to bloat a software? not good. I much prefer them going this route, building upon the existing features, enhancing them, improving them and when they are happy to release the package as gold that is when I expect those new requested features to be implemented.
Yes, I agree in principle, however, I remain disappointed with the additions made,there seems to have been done without taking into account members' suggestions

You sir, need to learn what a BETA release is, let me google that for you and get a definition.

So, what can we learn by this, it's in it's testing stage, thus meaning that they aren't really interested in putting new stuff in (although, in this case, they've introduced some pretty big features), and the rest of their time would go into fixing minor or major issues.

C'mon, just take a look at the Resolved Bugs forum, How about you be patient for a stable release, then they can go ahead with rolling out new features, like your suggested ones.
pss, blablabla ...blablabla ....

I will look at adding some more, but I'm actually really unhappy with that system. It's quite a pain to put together.
Is there a better option Mike? I'm sure you've spent a lot of time thinking about the possibilities, just curious as to whether you see a better option for plugins to be able to interact with the core (in a fashion that avoids core edits!!) instead of using template hooks?

Looking at the features I was more than pleased with beta 6 release. If you haven't noticed the bug forums, it's gone from 10 pages down to 4 in the past month or so. They are working at an astonishing pace considering they had the lawsuits going on and holidays happening. Kudos in my book :)

For you.

I think it is interesting to add features in the beta.
XenForo is fast and fluid due to few features it has, but I think a lot of functionalitylighter and faster to implement could have been added.
Example: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-search-this-thread.1195/

Yes, I agree in principle, however, I remain disappointed with the additions made,there seems to have been done without taking into account members' suggestions

pss, blablabla ...blablabla ....

Don't mistake my post at getting on at you. That's not the intention. Adding new features at this early stage can introduce a whole set of problems that affect other functions throughout the software whilst potentially introducing new bugs. As stated above it's beta software, I find that them building upon existing features is the way forward. Long term this serves everyone's interests and that's how I'm looking at this.

The product is stable, very usable and personally I'm thankful for that because I know the long term they are building a strong foundation to build upon those features your wanting to see implemented. Not forgetting that when we have a sturdy foundation this also helps those devs/coders to build even better add-ons. For me it's a win win, it really is. Quality always beat out quantity.

As has been said already, people need to remember this is beta software working towards an initial gold 1.0 release, really they shouldn't be adding functionality as is (although the added functionality is welcome, especially the CAPTCHA). Let them release Gold first and then look at adding on the extra functionality as per the suggestions. Betas are for bug fixes primarily.

Inline editor, improved captha, image lightbox etc. and many more... I'm statistified. Bugs get fixed fast and thats actually more importand for this and previous beta releases.Now, I'm gonna wait for the addons - if they require - to be updated and upgrade my board immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom