XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what was the point of the beta xenforo 2 forum they made?

Surely that was, as you say: "test it even further before calling it stable and having their customers try it on their live sites."

This thread was started three years ago, so I get the must get it right part!

I am just pointing out that once you show something to someone, dont be annoyed when they ask when can they have it!

Mick

They announced 2.0 WAY too prematurely and I think they've acknowledged that several times but things seem to be on track now with the beta soon and once a few developers start getting styles/addons on I'm assuming we'll see more activity from the community.

Well...the demo was put up Nov 2016.....and we're still not in Beta mode ......so im assuming we dont see the final gold release until 2018.

Well...the demo was put up Nov 2016.....and we're still not in Beta mode ......so im assuming we dont see the final gold release until 2018.

Of course it won't be until 2018. We don't even have a beta yet and 3 months for the beta is massively optimistic.

Well the demo was also never pushed live onto their main forum until recently, which is a positive indicator to me that they are close to beta. In my opinion, this means that they are at least somewhat confident that most of the major changes to the database tables can be made on their site with some SQL queries without losing everyone's posts on their own site.

Also, a good developer will finish a product when it is ready, not when some sales, marketing people, or even customers say it must be finished.

giphy.gif

Excited to see the beta coming soon. Two questions that will affect the user experience signficantly:

1) Why not replace smilies with Unicode emojis? Browser support for emojis is already robust, and all you need is a simple stylesheet to implement them.

2) Most social sites are moving away from the "like" and thumbs up/thumbs down systems and towards custom reactions. Just looking at that blue thumbs up icon next to the word "Like" in the current beta creates strong associations with "Facebook's old system that got replaced by something better." It would be great to see XenForo support custom reactions natively or allow importing community-created reactions.

<snip>

2) Most social sites are moving away from the "like" and thumbs up/thumbs down systems and towards custom reactions. Just looking at that blue thumbs up icon next to the word "Like" in the current beta creates strong associations with "Facebook's old system that got replaced by something better." It would be great to see XenForo support custom reactions natively or allow importing community-created reactions.

As for #2, I tend to agree with this. Having custom reactions rather just a like button would be nice. Giving the end user that sort of freedom only enhances additional interaction between users (be it better or for worse between said users). Allowing users to agree, disagree, love, hate, "like", and so forth is something that should be made worthwhile as a default feature in a future version.

Both PHP5 (starting at 5.4 or so, I think) and PHP7 work - but I don't recommend you to choose PHP5 for a new setup. 5.4 and 5.5 don't get security updates anymore, and 5.6 dies in about a year too.

@Kier I know it's not an easy thing to predict, but do you guys have a general range for a goal for releasing the initial Beta? Is it something we should expect relatively soon, not for another month+, or towards the end of the year?

Excited to see the beta coming soon. Two questions that will affect the user experience signficantly:

1) Why not replace smilies with Unicode emojis? Browser support for emojis is already robust, and all you need is a simple stylesheet to implement them.

The custom reaction stuff is great for those who want to use it, but I'm not a fan. The reddit style thumbs up or down makes it easier to tell how popular a thread has been. Trying to do so with custom reaction graphics is far more difficult, and the latter makes it more difficult to potentially sort threads by active popularity.

Personally, I'd love to see the reddit style of thumbs up/thumbs down, or like/dislike, and the ability to display posts based on popularity.

That's a very good idea. However, I suspect most admins would prefer some flexibility over what they use, rather than just have a single default option in XF.

Some might prefer Likes, some might prefer thumbs, some might prefer reactions - some might prefer a mix of all. Choice would be good.

My feeling is that the "reactions" and reddit-style "best answer" functionality should be achieved via addons.

I personally very much like reactions/ratings vs likes. I wouldn't mind that being in the core as an option as I think it's something most would consider a default thing anymore - i.e. most that are used to S.M. would be surprised not to see it or something like it. Post Ratings does the job already functionally, but presentation wise, the hover or long-press pop up is all that is missing. So this one technically is already available, just not exactly the same.

One of my dislikes about Facebook and Reddit is that other posts get buried. This is a + and a -. I absolutely hate FB in this regard. For a large group where a topic gets 200 comments and sub-comments, then I get an alert for a comment to my sub-comment, clicking the alert doesn't always (never does for me) expand the tree to get me to that reply, it takes me to the OP or some other random place. Having to "click here for more/previous comments" and search for the comment, no thanks. Not to mention the disjointed discussion that is created by that structure. It's horrible. Then people answering the question repeatedly when it's already been answered, inevitably followed by "yeah that's been answered already read the comments" and I'm gone...

Reddit is ever so slightly better in this regard where the top replies and comment trees are brought to the surface. But the issue still remains - any "branching" of discussion buries content that might be relevant to someone on a particular subject, resulting in sub-discussions that criss cross over one another, multiple people answering the same question and not seeing each others' answers...

I get wanting the option for it - some might favor it. But not me. Sounds like an addon, but it would be one that would seemingly change the default structure of threads. I can see it being done via an addon, but I would not want to see this being a default method, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom