XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
NodeJS is the future but that's my opinion but I understand your point of view and hoping to see some plugins based on NodeJS like a chat system but Siropu is working on it and some websocket plugins to increase performances.
Well, it's not so much "the future" as it is an alternate technology, with advantages and disadvantages compared to PHP. The advantage of PHP, and one of the reasons I suspect XF still use it, is that it's ubiquitous – you can run it on any shared hosting platform, without custom installation or setup work. Node, for all its advantages in concurrency and support for technologies like websockets, can't be thrown onto a $20 a year shared plan and just work, which cuts out a massive part of XenForo's customer base.

Node is a great runtime, and amazing things have been built on it – I'm a fan, I work with it as well as PHP, Ruby and Elixir for my day-to-day work. But for XenForo, it's not the right tool for the job. :)

I really like the new approach to show the New posts in the index instead of the classic "Forum list".

But I think it could be also more powerful and useful by inserting in the same page a list with the latest/updated threads and another with the Popular/trending/hot threads that shows topics selected on likes/views/reply criteria (for example: a thread that has many likes and views and in the same time is one of the most replied of the latest days/week should appear in this list).

Another idea is eventually to make an unique list that combines latest and "hot/trending" threads like Facebook does with his posts that shows in home.

Also, I think the index needs another tab called "Followed Forums" that shows a list of the latest updated threads only from the forums that an user follows.

Really, we need more "Civilized Discussion" (so using algorithms that not only uses "newest" as criteria, but that also notes what users of the community really is "interested" to, keeping in mind which topics gets the most replies, views and likes), like Discourse does: it's the future!

Your thread order/filter criterias shouldn't be too hard as addon.
Too many different lists just confuse people...

Sorry for half-OT:
I'm pretty sure Xenforo is meant to be a forum on PHP like it is now. Not a Facebook clone, not a Discourse clone, not NodeJS, not VBulletin on Amiga, not anything.. That's why people are here, independent of what the "future" is in the opinion of some people. If you want Discourse, buy Discourse. etc.

Your thread order/filter criterias shouldn't be too hard as addon.
Too many different lists just confuse people...
Sorry for half-OT:
I'm pretty sure Xenforo is meant to be a forum on PHP like it is now. Not a Facebook clone, not a Discourse clone, not NodeJS, not VBulletin on Amiga, not anything.. That's why people are here, independent of what the "future" is in the opinion of some people. If you want Discourse, buy Discourse. etc.

I'm not claiming for a Discourse clone: simply I'm saying that the Web 1.0 forum-concept is getting a bit old because of many innovations that Socials and communities like Facebook and Stack Overflow has introduced that quickly became standard because most of the users likes it and it's proved that these new logics works well.

I think we have to focus on users, which are now used to more simple UI and services that in the same time have a bit more complex algorithms that tries to get him content of his interest with minimal effort, but here seems that we're talking about what Forum board's admins likes (that are way too nostalgic of the 1.0 era, please try to understand that those [good] old days are gone).

Another thing: at my advice, the only reason because Discourse is expanding slowly, is only because it's heavily out of standards (Ruby On Rails, Postgre and Docker scare many Forum owners and requires a VPS or Dedicated Server to work) and is really a bit too different from the normal concept of the forum, but I think that if it had been easier to install and use, would be serious trouble for many paid Forum Software (please, don't forget that a really big forum as SitePoint switched some time ago from XF to Discourse).

My only fear with XenForo 2.0 is that it misses the shot not implementing basic features that we (almost) all consider as parts of what's becoming the normality on internet. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying XenForo has to be a copycat of everything trendy out there (but IMO basic things such as sorting XXXX by popularity is now a standard).

But tbh, I'm not that scared because I know that we will see those features added with addons if they are not in the core. It's just that I would like to see XF take more risks :p

I have already started planning on moving to centminmod from my Ubuntu install when XF2 comes out so I am glad you are already doing extensive testing.
Glad to hear.. though @Kier , @Mike and rest of XF team make it easy as XF 2 dev preview so far has been smooth sailing for initial install/setup :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing a production release of Xenforo 2. Any ideas on when this is expected or an idea of how long it will take to be "production ready"?

I installed the developer preview on localhost last night without issue and I think it's quite professional. I believe Xenforo 2 is truly something to brag about. Anyway, I'm already working on a custom style for my site from localhost and I'm curious when we can expect to see the official version. Thanks.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a production release of Xenforo 2. Any ideas on when this is expected or an idea of how long it will take to be "production ready"?

I installed the developer preview on localhost last night without issue and I think it's quite professional. I believe Xenforo 2 is truly something to brag about. Anyway, I'm already working on a custom style for my site from localhost and I'm curious when we can expect to see the official version. Thanks.

There is no timeframe.

phhttt...

The work begins, where do people post new plugins for xenforo 2?

(assuming xf2demo.xenforo.com will vanish at some point, or be merged )

- created my first xf2 addon, still lots of work to do

@tenants I *think*, in the Xf2demo, they said that some change in the resource category structure here will happen later, and that we shouldn't release addons until then.

We have today posted a new development update at our XenForo 2 Demo you can read that here:

Just a pointer on member profile pages - please don't hide the "find content by member" links by the additional "Find" link.

Often as an admin if I'm suspicious of someone's posting activity I'll need to check what threads they've started, and what they've posted in other threads.

By adding the "Find" link you've simply inserted an extra click into that process.

It may look neater and tidier, but from an admin perspective it's less user-friendly.

Please don't code for coders, rather than users. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom