XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I hope and seems xF 2 is aimed at that, is to finally improve on the addon development side.

It's really one of the weakest parts of the whole xF, lack of alternatives, lack of addons overall and lack of support for those addons, as also lack of interest into more complex and bigger applications due the costs vs the interest. What also results on more expensive addons, as we can see.

So xF 2 making development easier and faster is really some necessary oxygen to get more, better and bigger addons that the software really needs to be continuously competitive.

And maybe then we'll see the achievement of things requested for years that have never saw the light of the day on xF 1.x.

Last edited:
I think the theme is great. Its unobtrusive, as a default theme should be. On the current theme, I purposefully got rid of all shadows, border-radii, gradients etc so it wasn't in the way. And thats what this does out of the box. Developers and theme designers will benefit greatly from the BEM/componentization, themes and addons will be easier to integrate.

Great job XenForo!

I like what I see of the theme as well.

I understand that upgrading to XF 2.0 is free and that you guys wanted to update the technical side mainly, so I'm not disappointed with the lack of new features (especially si you repeated that the goal was feature parity with XF 1.4).

However I'm very curious to know if you guys have a goal in mind, regarding new features you want to add to this new 2.0 core. What are we going to see in 2.x that will be new ? Is the new transaction backend for pivoting toward ecommerce ? Are you aiming for more social features ? I don't really follow, I only know you wont go the CMS way but then what way are you heading ?

Thanks to anybody who can point me to the relevant answers in the thread if I missed them :)

Kier said:
The default XenForo style has to appeal to the widest possible audience, and work on the widest possible range of devices, so it's natural that it won't perfectly suit every taste, and will err on the side of safe fonts, safe colours etc. - but the styling system running everything is more powerful than ever before, so end users will be able to tailor their own forums to their precise requirements with ease.

https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/threads/the-look-of-the-2-0-should-be-better.358/post-1420

My first impression is that 95% of the functionality is there which is impressive.

I still think the style needs some work. Somethings look great on a laptop and bad on a tablet/mobile device; and vice versa. I understand you are trying to get the balance right so hopefully we will see some improvements there before final release.

Xenforo has the most addons of any forum community already.
By far.
In terms of big addons is the opposite, even attempts to crowdfund them have been a mess.

There's a bunch of developers that are capable to maintain these bigger applications at a good rate of updates, support and all. But most are small things; I remember when we were months without a Donations addon integrated into xF when the developer of the only one abandoned its customers and went away.

Then you have usually considered fundamental addons like Events lacking, in one side one existent addon that hasn't been updated/supported for long, in the other one alternative that is not seen as one (but there is more offer now). There's quite the cases on big addons that are on this situation; some even already working incorrectly that we use because there is no alternatives.

@Chris D @Brogan

Dunno if you guys saw my message ? :)

I understand that upgrading to XF 2.0 is free and that you guys wanted to update the technical side mainly, so I'm not disappointed with the lack of new features (especially si you repeated that the goal was feature parity with XF 1.4).

However I'm very curious to know if you guys have a goal in mind, regarding new features you want to add to this new 2.0 core. What are we going to see in 2.x that will be new ? Is the new transaction backend for pivoting toward ecommerce ? Are you aiming for more social features ? I don't really follow, I only know you wont go the CMS way but then what way are you heading ?

Thanks to anybody who can point me to the relevant answers in the thread if I missed them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom