XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it intentional that Alerts can no longer be triggered by hovering over it? I used this feature in XF1 a lot and is a bit sad to see it gone.

I've read some of the replies about people who dislike XF2 and none of you are specific. You say you dislike it and you're angry but can't give one example of what's bad. What did you expect?

Personally that type of feedback really annoys me. I want to make the product more appealing but when I ask for specific feedback, hardly anyone gives it.

Some of you are just scared of change, others expecting too much change and the rest just so unspecific it's not helpful and just annoying.

As far as my two cents goes, it's great. I love it.

As far as my two cents goes, it's great. I love it.

That's not very specific lol

I jest.

Personally, going from the demo, which in fairness is only a demo and obviously haven't seen anything of the backend yet, so I can only comment from the demo as it is at the moment, but I haven't seen anything that stands out or excites me, so it's hard to be specific, because there's not really anything to be specific about. I like the in-post editing, that seems pretty cool, but it's nothing that jumps out. I've read a few complaints about the style, but the style doesn't bother me because my site looks nothing XF anyway, so style makes no odds to me. I think for myself, the good stuff is all going to be backend, but like I say, we can't really comment on that at the moment. I think, maybe most people's "complaints" come from expecting too much, maybe, I don't know, everyone is different, and if I was going to look at the style and comment on it, I would say that it doesn't look great, but it doesn't look terrible either, to me, it looks like a forum style, nothing new, just a neutral looking forum, which makes sense, it has to appeal to the many. Personally, XF1 has always looked rubbish style-wise, but heh, doesn't bother me.

The only thing I can really say about XF2, is that I'm not expecting to upgrade anytime soon, probably won't happen until 2018 sometime and when that time comes, I'll be questioning whether it's worth all the hassle, because it's going to be like starting a new forum all over again, which at the moment, doesn't excite me at all. Maybe in a year or 2, my mind would have changed, but for right now, I don't feel excited about XF2, I feel more like I've just been told I need rectal surgery in 18months but I shouldn't worry too much because the "backend" tools are nice and shiny lol

It's hard to explain what you like/dislike about design. Especially, if you're not an artist. It either speaks to you or it doesn't. It's valid criticism either way.

I came to XF1 late in the game and thought it looked outdated. I just waited/found a custom theme and went live with that. Personally, I think XF2 looks a lot better than XF1.... but I still wouldn't go live with it. I'll wait for one the style devs to cook something up.

I'm more interested in features from the XF team and quite happy on 1.5 at the moment.

That's not very specific lol
Yeah, it isn't, I'm not suggesting improvements though. I'm just offering appreciation. Commenting on what I like doesn't really help them improve anything, that would be a waste of everyone's time (my writing, their reading). Complaining about things without saying what's wrong is annoying for the developer and useless for the end user (because the developer doesn't know what to change).

The only thing I can really say about XF2, is that I'm not expecting to upgrade anytime soon, probably won't happen until 2018 sometime and when that time comes, I'll be questioning whether it's worth all the hassle, because it's going to be like starting a new forum all over again, which at the moment, doesn't excite me at all. Maybe in a year or 2, my mind would have changed, but for right now, I don't feel excited about XF2, I feel more like I've just been told I need rectal surgery in 18months but I shouldn't worry too much because the "backend" tools are nice and shiny lol
I think one of the bigger features about XF2 is better code logic, from what I can see in the development updates thread anyway. I can say as a developer (but can't comment on behalf of any other developer) that the code in XenForo used a lot of old techniques and in parts was annoying to work with. There was *lots* of code repetition. It was (and is) just annoying to code add-ons in XF1. So this helps end users because developers should be more passionate about coding and be able to throw out more modern, advanced and useful add-ons.

As far as the front-end goes, what was expected? In my opinion it stays true to the roots of XF, adds features and makes changes (for example the member card). It offers some changes such as the editor. But the real juice in XenForo, and for a lot of forum softwares, has always been the add-ons and styles and the various ways you can tweak it to your liking. XF2 should just make that easier?

As far as the front-end goes, what was expected?

Honestly, I wasn't expecting a lot. Like I say, I'm not too concerned about XF2 at the moment, I think using it is a long way off yet, I have 13 add ons by 8 different devs, I think I will be able to remove 2 of them because XF2 has implemented similar features, but that still leaves 11 add ons that will require rewriting before I can even consider upgrading to XF2. I can't speak for everyone else of course, but I imagine most people are in a similar situation. With this in mind, it's hard to get excited for XF2 right now. Still, I appreciate the work that the devs are doing.

adds features and makes changes (for example the member card)

Personally not a fan of the new member card, not a complaint, just an opinion. I don't like hover-popup information, it's a nuisance, it just covers content that I'm trying to read when I'm scrolling and accidentally land on an avatar or thread title, etc. If I wanna read more about something/someone, I much prefer having the option to click-to-view instead of having shoved in my face without asking. When it comes to doing this, I understand that XF is just trying to keep up with the status quo because most places do this already, but I've never been a fan of it myself.

You can tell the new design was done on Apple hardware, it looks a lot better on mobile or on a high DPI display. Unfortunately the opposite is true, it is not pleasing to the eye on standard displays or with windows font rendering. Most notable are the main navigation icons and text and the editor icons. Both need a rethink for standard dpi and are honestly a step backwards in their current form for the majority of users and this is likely the cause of the mixed reactions seen in this thread.

The design is good but the font choices and font-based icons only look good on a minority of hardware. I don't think that should be the case for a default theme

Last edited:
I wish more could look past the look of the default style and realize what you just said means more than a few borders or some padding does.
To frequently folks concentrate on the "eye candy" and fail to see the core underneath. Kind of like looking at an old faded blue Ford Pinto that's wanting to race folks and not looking for the sneaky V8 that's hiding under the hood. Pimp it up with some paint and rims and it's a whole different beast.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For the most part, nonconstructive criticism won't be actioned because it's just not really actionable.

But nonconstructive hoorays and kumbayaa's is actionable?

We live in 2016 and live 2.0 will be released maybe in 2017? XF 2.0: There is absolute nothing new, nothing modern, nothing. Same thing happened to mybb, nothing took place for very long time and then they released long waited 1.8 with "brand new" look, and now it is dead forum software.

XF 2.0 look a like: http://csb.stanford.edu/class/public/pages/sykes_webdesign/05_simple.html

But nonconstructive hoorays and kumbayaa's is actionable?

We live in 2016 and live 2.0 will be released maybe in 2017? XF 2.0: There is absolute nothing new, nothing modern, nothing. Same thing happened to mybb, nothing took place for very long time and then they released long waited 1.8 with "brand new" look, and now it is dead forum software.

XF 2.0 look a like: http://csb.stanford.edu/class/public/pages/sykes_webdesign/05_simple.html

Then I think you have grossly misunderstood the aims for the initial XF2 release.

It was stated months in advance that the focus of XF2 was maintaining feature-parity whilst improving developer efficiency and code reusuability rather than introducing ground breaking new features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom