XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why the api wasn't part of the plan for 2.0 because they said they are aiming for feature parity with 1.5. It makes sense that they would lay the groundwork now and add it in a future release. I am sure they will add an api, else they would not have laid the groundwork. It's just a matter of when.

The screenshots look nice so far. I did think the line behind the button was a bug – but it doesn't matter since I wouldn't use the default theme no matter what it looks like. I still look forward to seeing the new theme on this site and the others that will use it.

I'm relieved that the option to add a default icon image was restored. We just held a contest to design our default avatar, and it would be disappointing to switch to letters after that.

Overall I'm excited to see the new direction, and I look forward to more details and screenshots leading up to the public beta. :)

Can you add quick edit & drag n drop feature to the display nodes? like you just click them and you are able to edit them from just right there.

I can see why the api wasn't part of the plan for 2.0 because they said they are aiming for feature parity with 1.5. It makes sense that they would lay the groundwork now and add it in a future release. I am sure they will add an api, else they would not have laid the groundwork. It's just a matter of when.

The screenshots look nice so far. I did think the line behind the button was a bug – but it doesn't matter since I wouldn't use the default theme no matter what it looks like. I still look forward to seeing the new theme on this site and the others that will use it.

I'm relieved that the option to add a default icon image was restored. We just held a contest to design our default avatar, and it would be disappointing to switch to letters after that.

Overall I'm excited to see the new direction, and I look forward to more details and screenshots leading up to the public beta. :)

An API is 1000 times more critical than that Avatar function that didn't exist in XF 1 series.

The choice to dedicate limited resources to an unasked feature vs,.. most requested feature is simply wrong.

An API is basically the base of any script. Without an API built into 2.0 it is useless because without an API all developers will start coding with what we have today with limited changes.

All websites/developers will invest crazy amount of money/time on upgrading to XF 2 just to find out that XF 2.2 may feature an API which will basically require you to do most of the work again.

An API must be released with a major version , not minor version upgrade.

An API must be released with a major version , not minor version upgrade.
I agree with this sentence. if you are planning to add API in XF2, then it should be added in XF2.0.0 not after to avoid the double work for the developers.
It is not a smart idea to push the developers to rewrite their addons second time in XF2.x

Last edited:
All websites/developers will invest crazy amount of money/time on upgrading to XF 2 just to find out that XF 2.2 may feature an API which will basically require you to do most of the work again.
Frankly, this is just incorrect.

The API people are referring to would be a REST (or similar) API. This primarily benefits 2 groups:
  1. Integration into other parts of your site (such as WordPress or other custom work)
  2. Alternative views of the forum (often brought up in the context of mobile apps)
It doesn't explicitly benefit anyone writing a XenForo add-on. An API doesn't deal with templates, routes, new entities and all the other work that you need to do. Even if you did choose to use the REST API internally for an add-on, you're likely going to have various work outside the API to add those bits you need. Nevermind that you actually lose access to a lot of the dynamic support you have by working with the entities directly. There are certainly areas where having the API may make more work for add-on developers (mostly as it potentially becomes something they "should" support/integrate with).

Clearly it does benefit the external usage (otherwise we wouldn't be considering it for a future release), but it doesn't mean that any group suddenly needs to redo their entire system when it becomes available. If you wanted to convert to it, then that would take effort, but you may even find that the particular thing you're trying to do isn't exposed by the API by default (because if we're talking about an API that works for semi-public usage, there will certainly be constraints on what is exposed and how it's exposed).

Frankly, this is just incorrect.

The API people are referring to would be a REST (or similar) API. This primarily benefits 2 groups:
  1. Integration into other parts of your site (such as WordPress or other custom work)
  2. Alternative views of the forum (often brought up in the context of mobile apps)
It doesn't explicitly benefit anyone writing a XenForo add-on. An API doesn't deal with templates, routes, new entities and all the other work that you need to do. Even if you did choose to use the REST API internally for an add-on, you're likely going to have various work outside the API to add those bits you need. Nevermind that you actually lose access to a lot of the dynamic support you have by working with the entities directly. There are certainly areas where having the API may make more work for add-on developers (mostly as it potentially becomes something they "should" support/integrate with).

Clearly it does benefit the external usage (otherwise we wouldn't be considering it for a future release), but it doesn't mean that any group suddenly needs to redo their entire system when it becomes available. If you wanted to convert to it, then that would take effort, but you may even find that the particular thing you're trying to do isn't exposed by the API by default (because if we're talking about an API that works for semi-public usage, there will certainly be constraints on what is exposed and how it's exposed).

I am sorry Mike but this is an excuse nothing more.

This is a major release , with this major release we are going to invest a lot of time , money and work on the upgrade. Therefor we all deserve the right to correctly plan , develop correctly from day 1. If you do release the API with a sub release , none of us can do this correctly.

This is simple thing , you first make your base perfect and let rest build on it.

An API is 1000 times more critical than that Avatar function that didn't exist in XF 1 series.
Just because X feature you require/need/want to see isn't added there shouldn't be other, minor improvements?

I understand your point behind stating that an API being introduced with 2.0 instead of 2.1/2/3.... would make more sense and benefit customers, however the way you put forth your opinion/suggestion is quite rude.

This is a major release , with this major release we are going to invest a lot of time , money and work on the upgrade. Therefor we all deserve the right to correctly plan , develop correctly from day 1. If you do release the API with a sub release , none of us can do this correctly.

This is simple thing , you first make your base perfect and let rest build on it.
Your assertions are basically wrong. There are benefits to an API but it isn't going to fundamentally hinder people from extending XF 2.0 nor would a later introduction of an API affect that.

If I can be so frank - we have stated it is not going to happen in 2.0 so the continued complaints about it are not going to make it happen any sooner.

It is unfortunate that this poses such a problem for you, but 2.0 is just as viable for development projects, actually likely much more viable, than 1.X and judgement about that should be reserved until the developer preview in the future.

You seem to be confusing the development process for addons with those for integrations.

An API is for integration, while addons hook more directly into the core system.

The way we currently build addons is to extend the actual classes and add our own - that gives us far more control than we get via an API.

We're talking about PHP code which serves both front and backend (with JS helpers for the front end), not about pure front-end JS code talking to a PHP backend, which is what I get the impression you seem to be thinking we're getting.

Very different development models.

I don't see a problem with them releasing a new version of what we've got now and then later adding a REST API which can be used for integration or mobile app development - it would have no impact on addon development, since addons typically wouldn't use the REST API, but would integrate directly into the codebase.

Personally, I want both. Low level integration like we have now - plus a REST API for integration into other systems and for mobile apps if we ever choose to go down that path. The REST API doesn't need to come now (although I would love to see it sooner rather than later).

I absolutely see that something like XenForo 2.1 could add a REST API without impacting any addon development done for XenForo 2.0 - it's a complementary toolkit, not a replacement.

Some things I'd like to see...

I hope threads can handle uploaded videos (if the webmaster enables it) because that's much better for user experience and XFMG should power all attachments. My users wouldn't even look at the media gallery section and they continued to post the pics/vids in the threads, which is better anyway in regards to running a forum. You WANT all the interaction in the same place. Just power those attachments using XFMG. Raise the price a few bucks if you have to, its well worth it. Also, it's 2016, I can't see how video wasn't a thing for forums 10 years ago. If people want to host their own videos, they should have the option. Video is huge with social media from uploads, live streaming, etc - we would be fools not to take advantage of it. Also, anyone complaining about hosting fees - also remember that your video can have an advert in it and cover your hosting costs. Or simply disable video uploads and not worry about it.

I hope there's innovation in how users post and interact. Can XF 2 let users post without completing the long registration process? Post now (check for spam and grab their email address) and finish registration later?

What can XF2 do to compete with the social media kings who weed out forums every day? We need a way to grab the 20 year olds, because forums have become long outdated and seem mostly popular with very niche crowds and the 35+ group. There's a huge market of millennials that we can bring in if we do it right.

Will RSS feeds to display full content, including attachments and have option to disable?

Will Facebook shares no longer say [ media ] or [ attach ] ? That wasn't very pretty on the social shares.

How about integration with MailChimp? Or, just an ability to export our email addresses so we can import them to a mailing service. I've already had bonehead members forget they signed up and report me for spam. Using a 3rd party like MailChimp helps us avoid spam accusations when members forget what they signed up for. It's nice to have a built in mailer, but it's not very wise to use it for mass mailings. Too many reports can hurt your business, even if they are BS reports.

A spot in the admin to add our CDN would be nice.

Excited to see what else comes out of XF2, but I hope there's some innovation that helps us compete with current popular trends.

I think there's two pretty good addons for that. Depending on the XF2 release date, I'd probably wait it out to make sure they work on XF2.
Yeah, but I think it should be part of it. As a community forum software it should have that type of functionality already. But, it's not a crisis, I'm just looking forward to 2.0 :)

What I said about it perhaps being laid out in a minor version was speculation. Maybe the whole XF2 API idea circulated the same way, and everyone believed that to be coming when the developers themselves didn't say anything about it being on the table to begin with.

So, a specific member who never seems to be on around here, let alone help any other members, shows up to do nothing but whine and complain after the new screenshots of XF 2.0. I think that maybe @Chris and @Mike should have waited to post new SS's, because now all they seem to do now is waste their time with said member in this thread.

API is about integration, and has nothing to do with add-ons, so quit complaining about it.

As for the letter avatars: having different styled looking default avatars look a lot better than having the same old avatar displayed for all members that do not use their own custom avatar.

Keep up the good work, XF. I look forward to more announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom