XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, it's a forum software so let it look like a forum we all know. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Stackoverflow look, but I agree it can be useful for some niche.

Design is good enough because it's simple and what is more important it's also simple to change basic style things even for admins that are not so familiar with codes. I'm sure there will be plenty of third party styles out so everyone will be pleased.

Well, just my simple view...

I'm not a fan of Stackoverflow look.

You're not, but millions are.
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/stackoverflow.com

Rank 50 in the world.

It's not a very "pretty" site, but it's very functional and interactive. It "works" very well for what it's working towards.

It's like Reddit and Answers or Yahoo Answers (or questions, whatever the heck it was) mixed together.

It's not always the paint job, but the way the room is setup and how people can interact in it that makes a difference.

Rank 50 in the world.

It's not a very "pretty" site, but it's very functional and interactive. It "works" very well for what it's working towards.

It's like Reddit and Answers or Yahoo Answers (or questions, whatever the heck it was) mixed together.

It's not always the paint job, but the way the room is setup and how people can interact in it that makes a difference.
I don't think XF will be something like stackoverflow and also I don't think XF developers are interested in such fundamental changes.
(also alexa rank never means visitors like the way the site looks.)

Of course I am also a fan of "easy to use" of stackoverflow. I really like it. and its the best structure to have a "ask and answer" site. But its not so logical to ask to change XF structure to what we see in stackoverflow.

Of course a nice add-on can provide a new place like stackoverflow in your site. If you really need it, you can submit your add-on request in appropriate forum here.

Rank 50 in the world.

I think you don't want a forum software. I believe there are other plataforms out there more apropriate for this kind of site than a forum.

Rank 50 in the world.

I understand and I like the functionallity od Stackoverflow, but I think it's not something forum software should have in core, maybe just as extension with add-on. It just don't suit the purpose for most forums in my opinion.

It just don't suit the purpose for most forums in my opinion.
Why not? Let me ask you this. When you're looking for content to read on a forum, do you go through each category on the forum home or do you click "New Posts"? SO-style brings "new posts" on the first page. People either see something up top that they are interested in getting involved with or they search for something specific.

Rank 50 in the world.

If you'd prefer a non-traditional appraoch, give Vanilla, Discourse, or Flarum a try. (y)

Personally, I think the Forum > Thread > Posts construct works very well and I'd prefer XF not to reinvent the wheel. ;)

Why not? Let me ask you this. When you're looking for content to read on a forum, do you go through each category on the forum home or do you click "New Posts"? SO-style brings "new posts" on the first page. People either see something up top that they are interested in getting involved with or they search for something specific.
That really depends on what I am looking for and on what forum (niche) I search. Also I agree with quote below:

If you'd prefer a non-traditional appraoch, give Vanilla, Discourse, or Flarum a try. (y)

Personally, I think the Forum > Thread > Posts construct works very well and I'd prefer XF not to reinvent the wheel. ;)

You can only run one instance with one license (other than a private test installation) so you can either run XF1, or XF2, not both.

Would it be possible to run one one public installation of 1.5, one test installation of 1.5 and one test installation of 2.0? I'd like to experiment with 2.0 when it comes out, but I still need our 1.5 test site for testing add-on upgrades.

FWIW, what I said there is basically what we said here:
(Originally posted here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-2-0-discussion.79603/page-38#post-889527)

I'm hoping to address a few things in this post.

Why announce that you're switching to XenForo 2.0 development so early?

There was a bit of "rock and a hard place" thinking here. When developing 1.4, we had plans for 2.0 in the back of our minds and this influenced what was included in 1.4. Features that may required significant changes to add-ons or features whose data may have had to be redone for 2.0 were not ones we targeted. The menu/navigation manager is a good example of a feature that hits both those points. Conversely, this feature is also the most requested suggestion (by likes) and every time we posted a HYS, it would somehow come up in the comments. As such, we felt that it was important to let people understand our thinking and that meant explaining where we wanted to go next.

I admit it was very early to mention 2.0 and that is something we debated about. Ultimately, we thought it was better to let people know the plans than to hold off on mentioning it until sometime around now (when people may have been expecting 1.5).

When will we see 2.0 released? What's happening?

While we have some internal goals, I'm not yet happy to say any specifics. It's definitely not "close" by any stretch. Don't expect any releases or demos any time soon.

Our first and foremost goal is to reach rough feature parity with XenForo 1.4 while using the new ideas and concepts (see below). This is a very significant task; it's amazing how much functionality there is for what outwardly might appear to be a simple application. While ideas for new features and changes will influence code that's written, in most cases, our focus is on getting the old functionality working on the new base.

It sometimes feels counterintuitive to post updates when you don't feel that you have anything groundbreaking or new to say, but we will certainly do our best to keep people informed.

What are the goals of 2.0?

A major goal of 2.0 is one that is technical in nature: improve developer efficiency. While this might not be a new feature itself, it benefits all development going forward.

If you develop with XenForo 1.x for a while, you begin to see how much boiler plate and repetition there is. You begin to see that it's a pain to get access to data or even know if you have the necessary data available where you need it. And if you don't have that data, things just don't work as expected. Fixing this is a very important part of 2.0 and it involves fundamental changes to some of the lowest level code in XenForo, notably models and data writers.

Further, there are significant changes to code organization to improve code reuse (or reusability) and to help add-on developers apply additional changes to existing code more easily. There are plenty of examples of developers struggling to get new fields in existing forms to save properly due to the code organization of XenForo 1.x (specifically the controllers). This has now been re-approached to remove these problems in as many cases as possible.

Complex processes have been reorganized into distinct objects, improving readability and extendability, while also allowing the code to be used in more contexts than before.

So even though these may not be new features directly, these changes are necessary to ensure that speedy development can continue in the future and that add-on developers can make the changes they need with minimal interference from the core.

How about some more technical details?

Some assorted changes:
  • While you can still write CSS directly, LESS is now the primary language for styling. If you're not familiar with LESS, it's effectively CSS that's more powerful, including things like nesting selectors, mixins, and color manipulation functions. You can read more here: http://lesscss.org/
  • The template syntax has changed to some degree to provide more flexibility. This includes a more powerful function syntax, more direct math/operator access, the ability to create values with specific types (including arrays) in templates, support for macros (callable/reusable templates) with recursion, and support for calling functions on an object.
  • The base unit for working with data is no longer a bare array. It is now an object that represents the specific type, giving you access to call methods on that object or access other data related to it trivially (getting the forum from a thread from a post).
  • While you can still write SQL directly, most data access is done through a builder object. The builder can control what related data is fetched, what conditions are applied (including against related data) and the order of the results. This can be done in any order.
  • We are not explicitly building on top of a particular framework. However, we are bringing in libraries to help with common tasks. This might be a component from Symfony and another one from Zend Framework and another from an unrelated project. It's mostly down to what we feel fits our needs.

While the XenForo 2.0 code we have developed up until this point has been compatible with PHP 5.3, we are currently strongly considering increasing the requirements to PHP 5.4. This would have a number of benefits technically (to us and add-on developers). As PHP 5.3 has been unsupported since August 2014, users should be transitioning off when possible it to ensure that they remain secure.

Regarding feature suggestions and implementing them

We do certainly read each post in the suggestions forum and bear them in mind. We will be looking at taking a more active role in the forum to give more feedback about suggestions. We do also keep suggestions in mind if they're not posted directly in the suggestion forum, but we do use likes on a suggestion as one signal of popularity.

The "lack of interest" prefix is applied programmatically when a suggestion hasn't received a reply in a year and has 3 or fewer likes in total. It is not a comment on our opinion of the feature. If a lot of the "lack of interest" suggestions are important to you, that may indicate that your requirements are fairly specific or unique.

Suggestions are also considered based on technical requirements, overhead they would require (especially when disabled or unused), the size of the potential benefit and, of course, our internal thoughts on the feature/product.

Some suggestions are just plain massive. A good example is the CMS suggestion. This isn't a feature suggestion; this is a product suggestion, a potentially very complex product suggestion. While XenForo is a framework, it is primarily based around the forum software; that is presumably why you're all here. That is likely to be our primary product for the foreseeable future. While it may be worthwhile for us to create a CMS, this would have a knock on effect on everything else we do so this (or any new product) is not something we could take on lightly. In my opinion, it's unfair to cite the lack of a CMS as a failing of a forum software package. It may be something that you need and it may be provided by others, but it's still separate from a forum and our primary product. If you need a CMS that is natively integrated with your forum, unless there's an add-on that you're comfortable with, XenForo is unlikely to fit that and I'm not in a position to say if or when it would fit that.

Regarding "buying" XenForo 2.0

As it stands, we have no plans to change the licensing scheme. If you have a license now and it still has active support/upgrades when XenForo 2.0 is released, you will be able to download it; if your license expires, you can simply purchase an extension to get access to 2.0 (and any other releases that may happen).

If you're unsure about 2.0 or our progress, you're free to hold off extending your license until you see 2.0 in person. License expiration does not affect your access to the forums.

will we finally be able to get images that are more than 1mb to work, along with animated gifs?

An avatar greater than 1MB would be a terrible idea if it isn't resized, and you can already get animated avatars if you use imagemagick. Plus, I'm fairly certain you can change the max filesize for avatars as well

An avatar greater than 1MB would be a terrible idea if it isn't resized, and you can already get animated avatars if you use imagemagick. Plus, I'm fairly certain you can change the max filesize for avatars as well
animated avatars work horribly with imagemagick. nothing over 300k or so will upload properly in the xenforo system. certain frame rate styles will not upload properly. if you try to use a large fixed image file it will not upload and display properly. its a bit of a mess.

animated avatars work horribly with imagemagick. nothing over 300k or so will upload properly in the xenforo system. certain frame rate styles will not upload properly. if you try to use a large fixed image file it will not upload and display properly. its a bit of a mess.

If that's the case I'm not sure XF would be able to do anything about it short of not resizing the avatars, which would be a terrible idea

Can you hint us some details on how you deal with browser events in XF 2.0? In XF 1.0 you can't unbind events registered with XenForo.register function, they are passed through an anonymous function (and outdated .bind() method). It's a pain to deal with them now, I'll probably have to rewrite a lot of JS and rebind all events to change how things work in XF. Does XF 2.0 still use anonymous functions on events? Because I'd prefer .on('event.namespace', function) method. Or maybe a built-in XenForo.unregister function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom