XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not before XF 2.1 as XF 2 will only bring feature parity and it will take a lot of time before major addons are rewritten. So probably in a few years from now.

In reality, switching immediately isn't likely to happen for most, though at some point there will be a public pre-release, as usual, so this may give some developers and designers an opportunity to begin getting their important projects migrated. I would urge everyone to start testing and planning immediately. It will be through this testing and planning that you can identify your minimum requirements for the upgrade, and somewhat importantly help us shape a pre-release XF 2.0 into a stable XF 2.0.

XF 2.0 will require PHP 5.4.X.

By comparison, XF 1.5 is PHP: 5.2.11.

It's not a massive leap, and we appreciate that 5.4 and 5.5 are now EOL, but from a development point of view, PHP 5.4 adds some really useful stuff while still maintaining compatibility with some servers that can't or won't upgrade higher.

It really is concerning how out of date most hosts are with regard to PHP versions. Maybe an initiative will start to encourage these hosts similar to the Let's Encrypt SSL scheme!

The problems with migrating to XF2.
Being reliant on addons which have become unsupported or at the bottom of the priority list for the new owners. I'm thinking specifically of Waindigo addons. We're likely going to have to recreate these addons in XF2 ourselves which will require a budget of several hundred £ and take significant time.

Having lots of addons from a variety of developers. So we're going to have to wait for the addons to be recoded and our timetable will be in the hands of people who may not be so motivated to make new releases.

Having addons unique to our site. Yes we have some of these and recreating them in XF2 is again going to require significant budget and time. Especially our editorial system, which is huge.

Tackling the design is going to be a challenge. Ours is highly customised and we don't know at this point how much work is going to be involved in either adopting more of a standard XF design or retaining our unique look.

Of course I want to upgrade ASAP but I have a feeling that it's going to either take a long time (like the best part of a year) or be so expensive that we can't even start upgrade work in the short term.

Of course I want to upgrade ASAP but I have a feeling that it's going to either take a long time (like the best part of a year) or be so expensive that we can't even start upgrade work in the short term.
Why do you want to upgrade ASAP?
1.5 works well, I think that there will no need to rush into 2.0 for site like your.

The problems with migrating to XF2.
Being reliant on addons which have become unsupported or at the bottom of the priority list for the new owners. I'm thinking specifically of Waindigo addons. We're likely going to have to recreate these addons in XF2 ourselves which will require a budget of several hundred £ and take significant time.

Having lots of addons from a variety of developers. So we're going to have to wait for the addons to be recoded and our timetable will be in the hands of people who may not be so motivated to make new releases.

Having addons unique to our site. Yes we have some of these and recreating them in XF2 is again going to require significant budget and time. Especially our editorial system, which is huge.

Tackling the design is going to be a challenge. Ours is highly customised and we don't know at this point how much work is going to be involved in either adopting more of a standard XF design or retaining our unique look.

For large communities, custom-coding everything from scratch to tailor it to their specific needs is sometimes a better option in the long run. But maintaining any system and keeping it up to date costs money; using XF as a base along with a bunch of addons probably much less so than any kind of entirely custom-built system would.

Quite frankly, if budget of a few hundred (or even thousand) quid presents a challenge worth mentioning on a site that big, you're doing something very wrong.

Quite frankly, if budget of a few hundred (or even thousand) quid presents a challenge worth mentioning on a site that big, you're doing something very wrong.

Trick is -- that expenditure doesn't necessarily offer much in the way of value. Its just a cost.

Trick is -- that expenditure doesn't necessarily offer much in the way of value. Its just a cost.

There's no business without costs and as I mentioned, XF+addons is still considerably cheaper than securing the same functionality via a custom-coded solution would be. On sites that big and monetized the costs of upgrading really must be negligible given the profits, which I why I find bringing them up so odd. Especially as there's really no need for anyone to rush to XF2 any time soon -- especially not when you've got a heavily customized XF1 install already running.

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as @Stuart Wright, albeit on a much smaller scale. Even if developers do prioritize add-ons we use, the ones with multiple add-ons will take time to get through everything. People like Bob and Xon and Themehouse will have loads of work to do, and we have a few custom add-ons that will need to be upgraded to 2.0. We also can't upgrade unless there is a good forms add-on or a classifieds system for 2.0, and who knows when/if that will happen.

So I'd be surprised if we upgrade within a year of xf 2.0 going live. However, I'm eagerly awaiting an announcement so that I can plan and budget and find out which add-ons will receive priority for updating. It will also help me decide what's worth investing in now, and what's best held off til later.

I think we can all expect a somewhat long (6+ months?) Alpha/Beta/RC phase. If XF 1.x is of any comparison it was around 7 months before there was a final release. That is a good bit of time to get familiar with XF 2.0.

Why do you want to upgrade ASAP?
1.5 works well, I think that there will no need to rush into 2.0 for site like your.

@Stuart Wright This was my thought as well. Why asap? My club-oracle site still runs of 1.4.12. I have no desire or need to upgrade to 1.5. I will probably upgrade to xf 2 at some point. But what's the rush? Unless XF 2 has a feature whose benefits to your community / income will outweigh any costs involved, why be in a rush to upgrade?

Having said that, for a large site which is your main source of income, it's better to develop your own addons and not rely on any third party addons at all. This way you can maintain relationship with one professional developer or company. If that developer leaves, you can hire another to takeover. Make documentation a part of your development job so that a new developer can quickly understand what a previous one did. Yes, all of this is has a cost, but you would be in control instead of relying on third parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom