XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't normally reply to things like this but for once I will.

While many comments here have been negative I would like to say thanks to the XenForo team. Why? Because unlike some other company's they're taking their time and not rushing out a half assed update.

It's been 2 years in which they've been hard at work. I just hope the security is as good as XF 1.x.x, It is rare to see a forum script with security as good as what XenForo has.

While I also wish more preview's would be given we just have to wait. I'm sure XenForo 2.0 will be a game changer.

Despite a lack of big updates for XF over the last year or so, combined with the progress and addition of some quite desirable, modern features some other systems have added, I've just renewed an old XF licence for a new forum project to replace a Facebook group that is outgrowing its welcome there.

I've got faith in the XF team and I really hope things can start moving forward again at a decent pace with the upcoming release of 2.0, now including 50% more developer power!

Time to get up to speed and see what new goodies have been added to the resource manager since I last checked.

Reactions: W.D
I don't normally reply to things like this but for once I will.

While many comments here have been negative I would like to say thanks to the XenForo team. Why? Because unlike some other company's they're taking their time and not rushing out a half assed update.

It's been 2 years in which they've been hard at work. I just hope the security is as good as XF 1.x.x, It is rare to see a forum script with security as good as what XenForo has.

While I also wish more preview's would be given we just have to wait. I'm sure XenForo 2.0 will be a game changer.
I agree with you I'd rather wait while they take their time to make sure it up to the standards we have all come to love about Xen Foro

Reactions: W.D
No plans does not mean it's not going to happen. It just means exactly that. There is no plan, now. If he said "there will not be 1.6" that would be definitive.
I would say that "no plans" means it's very unlikely to happen - only in the event that XF 2.0 gets significantly held up for some reason, which at this point also seems very unlikely. In reality, it's probably just @Chris D's way of speaking carefully in regards to future releases.

But we can still have 1.5.10 - 1.5.99 :p ;)
I personally don't care when they release 2.0. I want it stable and secure whenever it's ready.

I'm curious as to whether 2.0 will have more (detailed) activity phrases like vBulletin. Please note that this isn't an "I wish it were like vBulletin" statement, just genuinely curious.

For example, Managing account details is used for a lot of account stuff, such as the Personal Details page, where it makes perfect sense. However, for things like watched threads, where it technically make senses, it would be more correct to have something like Managing watched threads. Same for watched forums and various other account stuff that just has the generic Managing account details and other activities that aren't as specific as they could be.

I'm curious as to whether 2.0 will have more (detailed) activity phrases like vBulletin. Please note that this isn't an "I wish it were like vBulletin" statement, just genuinely curious.

For example, Managing account details is used for a lot of account stuff, such as the Personal Details page, where it makes perfect sense. However, for things like watched threads, where it technically make senses, it would be more correct to have something like Managing watched threads. Same for watched forums and various other account stuff that just has the generic Managing account details and other activities that aren't as specific as they could be.
I agree it could be cool but in the same time, you can modify those expressions to suit your needs

As it stands, that requires a lot of work. It's not a simple matter of modifying the phrase in this case. You need to know things like PHP to create a lot of different phrases and then call them where you want them.

I have a question regarding XF 2.0 which may or may not have been asked here...

Are those bugs going to be addressed in XF2?
https://xenforo.com/community/forums/future-fix-bug-reports.43/

Mostly they are not because it would break stuff in some occasions, but now that XF2 is likely going to break everything, it would be a good time to do this, right?

If that question has already been asked, then please excuse me...

A first point upgrade gives us the scope to break backwards compatibility, so it is certainly the aim that, where practicable, we will be resolving those bugs. However, there's no guarantee that all of them will be, or can be. Obviously we will be more vocal about specifics, at an appropriate time in the future.

Well, XF2 doesn't necessarily do anything more to help us achieve this. The phrase that's in use currently is just in use because we feel it's the most appropriate phrase to use. Arguably, the phrase we use in any session activity output can be changed at any time; making a change here wouldn't really break any backwards compatibility. So, realistically it's just a case of making a suggestion and if there's a compelling reason to change something then it will be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom