XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got to ask now @Chris D...

Active States with the Navigation Manager.. Do they work with custom links? I assume they would with the 'node' option, but what if I want one to link to a specific thread, for some odd reason, if the URL matches (or partially matches) will it make that tab active?
Not exactly as you describe, but there should eventually be some way to control this.

It's using Font Awesome which through a number of methods makes a good job of rendering well on all browsers and OS'. There was an issue with FA and Chrome in Windows but that appears to have been sorted. It's obviously super simple to implement and it has allowed us to effectively strip out all graphics we currently ship with XF, except a few.
The only profit from font icons I see is its simplicity. Yes, they are simple and you don't have to dedicate a lot of your time to start using them. But on the other side they are absolutely not flexible (compared to SVG) and invalid by content. Chris Coyier explained it a lot better than me: https://css-tricks.com/icon-fonts-vs-svg/
The only problem SVG had that stopped many from using it is browser support. Today any modern browser supports it. As for IE, support starts from version 9, which is not bad. Right now XenForo supports IE8, maybe it's a good time to shift to IE >= 9?

Animations in 2.0 are mostly CSS based where possible, though we're still using jQuery animations in a few places.
I really like CSS animations, but the fact that requestAnimationFrame(); can pre-calculate animation makes it still a valid point, especially in complex animations. Maybe jQuery.animate(); with animated transform: translate(); doesn't need a replacement, but using it on other properties never gave me the desired result in speed.

Dynamic letter-based avatars for users without a custom avatar. These users will now receive an avatar based off the first letter of their username, with a background color generated from their name.
As much I like this idea, I would be interested to know what approach has been taken for languages that might not have suitable fonts available on servers. Romanization of the names could be one approach, but as we have seen before, it might create some irrelevant letters. And the case where the first character of a name is not alpha-numeric. I am sure some sanitization and defaults should do the trick.

They're not images, so it's a moot point :)

The font is Arial, and can be switched, using CSS, to a more suitable font if necessary.

This is the actual markup for a letter based avatar in HTML:
HTML:
<a href="/members/chris-d.1/" class="avatar avatar--m" style=" background-color: #6699cc; color: #304050"><span class="avatar-u1-m">C</span></a>

The navigation manager which allows you to control the individual parts of the header navigation area. You might have noticed that navigation entries can come from the node tree and be their own tab.
While the development update mentions the header navigation, is it safe to assume that there is / will be a handler for the navigation manager that applies to other navigation menu's as well?
For example the footer navigation menu, the XFMG media navigation or addon navigation?

The navigation system is specifically for the header navigation and sub navigation within that.

The areas you mentioned, e.g. the footer navigation links (Contact Us, Help, Home) and the Media Gallery left sidebar navigation, would still be handled in the traditional way.

The areas you mentioned, e.g. the footer navigation links (Contact Us, Help, Home) and the Media Gallery left sidebar navigation, would still be handled in the traditional way.
Any reason why not the new widget system is being used for media gallery sidebar?

Well, it could. I meant "traditional way" in terms of the sidebar navigation being essentially HTML in a template, rather than HTML dynamically generated by the navigation system.

They're not images, so it's a moot point :)

The font is Arial, and can be switched, using CSS, to a more suitable font if necessary.

This is the actual markup for a letter based avatar in HTML:
HTML:
<a href="/members/chris-d.1/" class="avatar avatar--m" style=" background-color: #6699cc; color: #304050"><span class="avatar-u1-m">C</span></a>
Using an example from the thread you linked to, in fact:

View attachment 139010
This is cool, thanks. :-)

The navigation system is specifically for the header navigation and sub navigation within that.
Do you mean that the header navigation is still restricted to 2 levels like in XF1?
Will the navigation manager allow for more freedom for style developers? For example: use advanced menu's similar to Ubermenu or PushMenu.

Do you mean that the header navigation is still restricted to 2 levels like in XF1?
Will the navigation manager allow for more freedom for style developers? For example: use advanced menu's similar to Ubermenu or PushMenu.
It's not limited to two levels, no:

upload_2016-8-12_0-53-37.webp

This covers the majority of use cases and represents a significant improvement over what we have now.

Another question do we have the option to choose if we want a specific widget to be shown on right or left side?
You can show a widget wherever there is a position to show it. There's a few default positions, e.g. probably fairly obviously "forum_list_sidebar" is a position which we have defined, and that sits inside the sidebar on the forum list.

If there's a left sidebar on a page, and there's a widget position in it, then you can add a widget to that.

Even if there isn't a position defined, there is a way to add a widget literally wherever you like by adding a special template tag to the template.

Widgets powering the sidebar of the forum list. We've mimicked XenForo 1 here, but they are powered by a new widget system which lets you control what is displayed in various locations.
Is it possible to drag & drop the widgets to the desired position? Just like bd Widget Framework and IPS?

No they are defined in the Admin CP or added to the desired location in templates.
Do you mean that we can set location and the display order in fields similarly to how the navigation manger allows you to set the parent and the display order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom