XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people keep asking for release dates... it is going to be released when it is ready.

Granted 2.0 will be awesome, you guys just need to be patient.

I can't speak for the others... but I asked because I have a large forum with paid members on recurring subscriptions which means migrating to XF involves canceling all that and potentially loosing quite a bit of revenue. If 2.0 is less than a year away I would have to think about waiting...

I don't know why people keep asking for release dates... it is going to be released when it is ready.

Because some of us are developing projects that could be built on top of the XF platform. Who wants to throw countless man hours into something where the platform will be outdated in an unknown amount of time?

I am evaluating moving to another forum software coz I think its feature sets are more relevant for my forum audience and keep the content and user first as opposed to traditional forum content organisation and features. Though I never ask for a release date but I know it will help me decide. And when I come to know of the upcoming organisation of content in XF2.0 it will help me decide whether I want to wait or not. :)

Everyone has a reason, its not a compulsive disorder. :P

Because some of us are developing projects that could be built on top of the XF platform. Who wants to throw countless man hours into something where the platform will be outdated in an unknown amount of time?
To be honest, that's why we are holding off. Big forum (25+mln posts) and we don't want to do everything twice (although we have running a testsite in XF now).

To be honest, that's why we are holding off. Big forum (25+mln posts) and we don't want to do everything twice (although we have running a testsite in XF now).

I'm an admin on a site that has nearly 15 million posts, and we decided it would be better to just pull the trigger and convert instead of waiting and going through the pain and trouble of continuing to use a different solution that was no longer working properly for us.

We'll address the issue of 2.0 when we get to that bridge. But as it stands, we're very happy to have switched the site to XF.

Can't remember if this has been asked
But will addons which we have now work on the Version 2 or will they all need updating?

When we have a release date it will be announced with plenty of notice.
post-58335-good-luck-were-all-counting-on-ClLw.gif

Something I'd really like to see is the option to have a notice at the top of each page of a thread if you would like set specific rules about how that thread is to function. I have a lot of threads with specific rules and have to remind forum users about them every few pages. A thread notice would be great.

Something I'd really like to see is the option to have a notice at the top of each page of a thread if you would like set specific rules about how that thread is to function. I have a lot of threads with specific rules and have to remind forum users about them every few pages. A thread notice would be great.
In the core yes would have been nice, but until XF2 you can always try this for example https://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-notices-by-waindigo.3688/

Not sure if you've already thought of this but (note this post is only speculation) I'm guessing XF 2.0 will include significant changes. Those changes are going to mean add-ons may have to change completely how they work. The first 3-6 months of XF 2.0 aren't going to have some of the add-ons XF 1.x has, a lot of authors are inactive, some don't have time to update, and obviously we're not going to be familiar on how to code on top of XF 2.0. That said, you should probably offer early developer previews (earlier than a beta release, if you have that in mind), and even though it won't be completely stable, at least developers will be able to have a taste of how their add-ons will need to be, so they can start work in a beta release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom