XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the easy to use interface is what people need. To engage new people we need that with very few clicks every user (not only who know how to use forum) could post, reply, create valid content ecc...

I think that today a light mobile app is necessary, so we need ufficial APIs to build a consistent one and/or xenforo could sell directly the mobile app (general and personalized).

P.s. APIs can be very useful with integration with other products!

I think that a mobile app dev will be payed it self from the sells of the mobile app, and seeing this possibility more people will join xenforo userbase (customers and 3rd party devs).

Another thing maybe the home page of forums doesn't have to be any more a simple forum list. I would like to see as home page (not necessarily the website home) a personalized hub about the niche the forum is from. Where users could highlight the content/forum sections/portions of forum app/activity widget they are interested in.

Personally i would hate to see a forum become an dumbed down facebook or an app, i value my content over spam anyday and i also like to be able to read the posted content in english and not dumbed down text speck. How about making a good user guide/FAQ system so we can school users how use a forum and post in a better manner to bring valued content to an forum thread/post.

Personally i would hate to see a forum become an dumbed down facebook or an app, i value my content over spam anyday and i also like to be able to read the posted content in english and not dumbed down text speck. How about making a good user guide/FAQ system so we can school users how use a forum and post in a better manner to bring valued content to an forum thread/post.

I believe there is a FAQ add-on or two but I completely agree and have done so on my forums too (or started to get around to it!

I believe there is a FAQ add-on or two but I completely agree and have done so on my forums too (or started to get around to it!
Yep there's a good FAQ addon, but it would be nice to have a feature rich one part of the xenforo core in XF 2.0 with more helpful content already entered into it, other then the "help" system XF as right now :)

Not sure I understand how the comparison to facebook could even be appropriate frankly. Xenforo is a forum software, not a social media platform. It doesn't serve the same purposes at all. Facebook is extremely more complex than XF, and besides, making XF be like Facebook will simply make the userbase move from it. I wouldn't want a facebook-oriented forum software, it just doesnt fit my needs at all. If you need facebook, go with facebook. It's already all there, no point into trying to copycat them.

There are maybe a few ideas that could be interesting to borrow, but saying 'make it like facebook' is simply naive and beside completely inapproriate.

We aren't suggesting that XenForo should be another Facebook. We are saying that the ease of use of Facebook is required.

Why should someone have to read a FAQ to use a website? Do we really have to have a complex UX/UI? Sound like a bad design to me.

I hate Facebook groups because they hide all old information and you can't find the information on search engines.

But to say that forums should be difficult to use so they aren't like Facebook makes no sense to me.

Would a news feed instead of list of forums based on 1990s web design really be that bad? What if I only care about three categories? I need to go through and click on everything to see the latest posts...

All complex software demands some effort to learn and use, there's no escape. All forums are complex softwares where we can do lot of things - BBCodes, (Multiple) Quotes, Advanced Edition, WYSIWYG editor et all. I'm not saying that it must be intentionaly complex and convoluted but it always will be more complex than a social media group/wall (just because it is a more complex software for the user, with much more options and possibilities).

local languages editor should be offer by the xenforo. I mean to say top ten languages of the world should be prefered. So that newbies will not be required to look for someone to enable local language in their XF. thanks

We aren't suggesting that XenForo should be another Facebook. We are saying that the ease of use of Facebook is required.

Why should someone have to read a FAQ to use a website? Do we really have to have a complex UX/UI? Sound like a bad design to me.

I hate Facebook groups because they hide all old information and you can't find the information on search engines.

But to say that forums should be difficult to use so they aren't like Facebook makes no sense to me.

Would a news feed instead of list of forums based on 1990s web design really be that bad? What if I only care about three categories? I need to go through and click on everything to see the latest posts...

I agree.

You mean so that communities can become a collection of "likes" and one-liners?

Depends on how you run your community. :)

I'm simply talking about presentation issues. Content issues are up to the admin. :)

Nothing makes me feel like I'm wasting my life faster than a couple of minutes on Facebook.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but a billion other people appear to disagree. :)

And they are the people I want to feel comfortable enough to join my forums.

I agree, but a billion other people appear to disagree. :)

And they are the people I want to feel comfortable enough to join my forums.
Also making it easy to discover content and easy to make posts/threads has nothing to do with the quality of content. Content is a moderation issue.

Another suggestion would be to streamline the permissions system - if I set the usergroup "moderators" with specific permissions, I shouldn't then have to individually set the permissions of each new individual moderator to actually bring those usergroup permissions into effect. I appreciate the power the current system grants, but it really overcomplicates things - if we want to toggle every individual moderator's permissions, let that be an additional optional setting, not the default.

2c.

If the permissions are set up correctly, the permissions on the Moderator page are in addition to any user group based permissions they have.

My experience is that usergroup permissions are set up - but every time you assign someone as a moderator you then need to edit their individual permissions to ensure they have the additional moderator function.

When I look at these forums, it is constantly mentioned that assigning someone to a moderating usergroup does not make that person a moderator - which is the way it should actually be. Not being able to simply assign moderators to a moderating usergroup with blanket permissions is also a huge pain when importing a forum.

Just saying. :)

My experience is that usergroup permissions are set up - but every time you assign someone as a moderator you then need to edit their individual permissions to ensure they have the additional moderator function.

When I look at these forums, it is constantly mentioned that assigning someone to a moderating usergroup does not make that person a moderator - which is the way it should actually be. Not being able to simply assign moderators to a moderating usergroup with blanket permissions is also a huge pain when importing a forum.

Just saying. :)
You definitely have something set up incorrectly then, or there is an add-on you have that's interfering with things.

I assign moderators in ACP > Users > Moderators. When I do so, I don't give them any permissions in the Moderators section. All moderator permissions that they have are given to them via the Moderator user group that they are also assigned to. I do this because it's easier to give the same permissions to all of my moderators in this way. It also means that if I want to give all of them a new permission (such as those coming in XenForo 1.5) I can do so by adding the permissions to the Moderator user group.

It definitely works as expected for me and for many other forum owners here on XenForo. If it's not working like this for you, you need to investigate what is wrong with your set-up.

When I look at these forums, it is constantly mentioned that assigning someone to a moderating usergroup does not make that person a moderator
That's because it isn't a "moderating" user group, it is just a user group with the default title of "Moderating".

If you renamed the user group to "Banana" (which you can do) then it definitely wouldn't make sense to add someone to that user group and expect them to be a moderator.

As posted above, there must be something specific with your set up or workflow which is preventing it from working as designed.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom