XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook is not a forum. If you want to use FB, use FB.

Facebook's success has absolutely nothing to do with usability of one of its components, which I think is worst forum-like layout ever invented. It has nothing to do with endless scrolling. It has nothing to do with any other feature you are suggesting.

It is successful because its easy to use as one central platform to send junk to each other. Register, post some nonsense, spam followers. Create your own page, follow other users, etc. It is all about making as many junk posts as possible with ease.

Just because it has feature X, doesn't mean every software should have such feature. Using FB's success as some kind of measurement for any of its features is, putting politely, stupid. Features do not exist on their own, they exist in environment they are designed for. Pulling feature from one environment and putting it in completely different one does not guarantee success. It is usually the opposite.

Endless scrolling, annoying chat overlays are terrible for both performance and usability. I wouldn't use any forum with those features. Forums are not designed for one line nonsense spam. That's what Twitter is for.

Facebook groups are definitely forums and do compete with forums.
Usability, good UI are key factors in the success of Facebook. I am not saying that this means that anything Facebook has applies to forums. It indeed doesn't.
But ease of posting is important.
Forums are not designed for one line nonsense spam. That's what Twitter is for.
That feature is called profile status. :D

Ease of posting - sure. That's what quick reply is for. Easy to post, not intrusive.

FB groups do pose competition to forums, but it doesn't mean that using its feature would make forum any good. FB groups are useless by their own. They exist in Facebook infrastructure and are very minor part of it.

Guys, don't be so obtuse. I don't think anyone here is asking for a FB clone. The point is that there are visitor expectations set by the platform which has 1.5 billion registered users. Take what is relevant and iterate/adapt to forum usage.

There are some great iterations in 2.0, but they are still years behind the average visitor expectation. 2.0 is "fine" with general UX but it doesn't move the visitor functionality needle very much at a time when it really should do.

My previous point regarding all the hardware capability whines is this: I empathize, but would be nothing short of disappointed if the Fallout was re-engineered run smoothly on xBox 360 just because thats all some users had access to.

I think this discussion is now creeping towards not being exactly relevant to XF 2.0.

If you have feedback regarding 2.0, please leave that at the Demo site. If you have Suggestions for XF 2.0 or beyond, post them in the Suggestions forum.

Do you have to register on the demo board in order to post in it? I tried using my credentials from this one and they didn't seem to work.

It works in the same way as XF1 except guests can use quick reply and a captcha is loaded in only if the editor is clicked into.

Trophies are quite good. I think they should be implemented more into the core and have more of a value, hopefully we'll see add-ons extending the trophies system more to deliver rewards for being an upstanding member of the community and doing various goals throughout the forum system. I think they could be much more competitive than posts and likes, which is an incentive to post.

Trophies are quite good. I think they should be implemented more into the core and have more of a value, hopefully we'll see add-ons extending the trophies system more to deliver rewards for being an upstanding member of the community and doing various goals throughout the forum system. I think they could be much more competitive than posts and likes, which is an incentive to post.
Highly doubtful, trophies have been core in Xenforo for quite some time and nothing really exciting has transpired from them - including available add ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom