XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to request that you make Conversations convertible into threads and vice versa. I think this would be a good technical support feature for sites, such as mine, whereas PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK THAT CONVERSATIONS are the same as asking a question IN THE FORUM. Unfortunately, some people do not seem to abide by certain ETIQUETTE. That being said, the ability to convert Conversations to Threads would be a healthy feature for moderators and administrators.

I've moved the posts about users posting in incorrect locations to a separate thread: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/users-posting-in-incorrect-forums.120090/ We've had a few discussions about it and it overlaps the thread about forums vs social media, but it's an active enough discussion that it should probably happen independently of here, even if there is brainstorming in the context of XF2.

You just install a second copy yourself, not sure what there is for them to do? :p

Haha, yes, that's what I do now. I was thinking of a more integrated solution where you can push your changes from staging to live. I'm sure I'm showing my naivety and glaring lack of professional development experience here. :D

I am late to this thread... :)

One thing I noticed is this in the navigation manager,

upload_2016-8-27_18-38-41.webp

Is this how the links for any new tab or link in the navigation manager are supposed to be entered or can we simply copy paste links like http://xenforo.com

I am assuming it's the latter but asking just in case.

Based on everything that has been posted by the awesome XF team about XF 2.0, I get the feeling that this release is very "developer oriented". While that is great for me considering that I AM a developer! ;), but I hope it doesn't get to the point where people who don't know coding or are "terrified" of having to write code can't make simple changes like adding a new menu tab.

And honestly speaking, the feeling of looking at the default theme is one of underwhelming. Maybe it is the heightened expectations for XF 2.0 but I honestly feel that the typography, colors, layout etc look "dated". I was hoping for a more "cleaner, sharper" default look. Yes it can be changed and doing it via css is trivial for me as for any other designer / developer but I am again thinking of the people who may not have those skills.

But all said and done, the above are minor gripes because the standard set by you all is so high. Congratulations on reaching this stage and I am looking forward to the XF 2.0 Alpha / Beta phase.

Regards,
- Sadik

P.S. One request if I may. I would love to see how the payments system / upgrades work now since I have a major addon which will need to be rewritten for this. It would be awesome if you guys can make a HYS video / detailed thread about the User upgrades / payments system

So what about add-ons? As bigger developers want to integrate products together and create something centralised, it's still very hard to use each other's (and their own other) projects as well as use a central project to not override itself.

What I mean is, how advanced is the new add-on system going to be? Can we 'require' packages? Can we automatically install something if it doesn't already exist? Stuff like that. Is it going to be more central and tidier?

Based on everything that has been posted by the awesome XF team about XF 2.0, I get the feeling that this release is very "developer oriented". While that is great for me considering that I AM a developer! ;), but I hope it doesn't get to the point where people who don't know coding or are "terrified" of having to write code can't make simple changes like adding a new menu tab.
I think its a good thing. Coders will write add-ons to simplify it all for average users, while power users will have higher level of customization.

One thing I noticed is this in the navigation manager,

upload_2016-8-27_18-38-41-png.139860

Is this how the links for any new tab or link in the navigation manager are supposed to be entered or can we simply copy paste links like http://xenforo.com
You can use simple links if it fits for your needs. That code is how you'd build an internal link (like you would in XF1) -- that will handle friendly URLs on/off, route filters/more flexible building options, dynamic query string, etc. The {{ ... }} is opting into a template "expression".

1.5.10........1.5.11 in October......1.5.12 in December.......1.5.13 2017.......2.0 alpha July 2017.....lol the suspense is driving me as crazy as nintendo NX....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom