XenForo 1.2, What's left for you?

1.2 is looking so huge right now, that it would make sense to just concentrate on getting the features that we have already been shown, *just right*.

XenForo is a small team. If they keep piling on features, but release them as half-baked, they will get a lot of angry from the community. The new features just need to work. Especially the responsive design is so tricky to get right that I foresee it having a few iterations until it is working.

The new small features like template enhancements have the potential to be really good, but they also have the potential to cause a lot of trouble. I hope they put the probably ten days or more that it would require to sit down with the thing on a 40 mods installation and test how fast it is to "upgrade" the forum when someone added a bunch of edits and now a lot of regexes are running against the templates on 10 styles over 40 mods with 10 regexes each.

So, there is a time to stop, say "enough", "freeze", "no more features", "we are making the ones we have perfect, polished, production ready, and a delight to use"

How do you know that they haven't already had a feature freeze and are now just releasing details of what will be in 1.2? What we are seeing now could be part of their roadmap and now it is just coding/testing and of course teasing us :)

Have the team ever put out rubbish or a bad release? I see no reason regardless of the size of the release that the answer to this will change.

How do you know that they haven't already had a feature freeze and are now just releasing details of what will be in 1.2? What we are seeing now could be part of their roadmap and now it is just coding/testing and of course teasing us :)

Have the team ever put out rubbish or a bad release? I see no reason regardless of the size of the release that the answer to this will change.
I am not implying that they put a bad release, I have high hopes on them.
I do personally think the expectations of the community are sometimes too high, and the push for new features should be balanced with giving the developers time to polish the existing and new ones.

A "spring-cleaning" of the default style, which hasn't changed much (at all?) since the initial release. ;)

A "spring-cleaning" of the default style, which hasn't changed much (at all?) since the initial release. ;)

Default styles are rarely changed and it tends to be a waste of time for most communities as they usually install premade style to replace it anyways.

Default styles are rarely changed
Based on what statistical finding? And even if - why should that be a rule?

I said "spring cleaning". I didn't say make a new style.

and it tends to be a waste of time for most communities as they usually install premade style to replace it anyways.

Based on what statistical finding? In fact, I argue (with over ten years of experience in vBulletin) that most communities don't change the built-in style at all or make only small adjustments (colors, font, ...).

Like most of us here, I can't wait for 1.2. I honestly don't think a CMS is needed at this time, considering the opportunities of the current CMS type add ons as well as the possibility of a third party developer making one in the future.

Whilst I know most people seem to want a cms, I would love to see a simple default portal which we could customise using various widgets to display threads, activity, likes (and so on)

Yea this is pretty important for me right now. Can you give me a link with the template edits I have to do in order to make the sidebar available everywhere?
Thank You

Use Widgets, or check my tutorials.

a fast system for rebuilding search index for big forums, the current one is taking 36 hours to rebuild my forum search index which is a big problem for me for every upgrade or restore a backup

Why are you rebuilding the search index when you upgrade?

Because when I run the upgrade I dont touch the existing database , I run it on a restored backup with empty search index table to a new database just in case the upgrade went wrong then my origional database is safe. Thats what I been doing when I was on vBulletin with some horrifyng upgrade expiriences, so better to be on the safe side always

The search rebuild takes as long as it does because it has to. I doubt there's anything software related that could speed it up. Your limitations and the bottleneck will be your hardware and other factors affecting the performance of the hardware.

You will either have to change your mostly unnecessary upgrade procedure (this isn't vBulletin) or put up with it.

Still don't understand why you do it like that. Why can't you just backup, do the upgrade, restore backup if it fails?

What's left for me? Nothing.

I'm always happy with what I've got and never yearn for new features. Each new version bringing improvements and new features is just a bonus. I love the software as it is, want to see it getting better, but I have no particular requirements :)

Oh. The only requirement is: I want 1.2 now :(

Top Bottom