1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenforo 1.1.4 or v2.

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Father Sebastiaan, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Greetings,

Will Xenforo upgrade now the lawsuit is over to include Galleries, Blogs, etc.? It is a fantastic software but needs these elementally essential features?

All the best,
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Version 1.2 should be the next version unless they do an interim bug fix release.

There's not currently any announcement with regards to the features. I think a gallery and blogs will be unlikely.

Those features might be essential for you. But actually they aren't essential for everyone. A fantastic forum software is what's essential so they should focus on that aspect.

If you need those features, there are plenty of add-ons available.
  3. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I doubt we'll be seeing the bigger products officially so soon. Essential features, refinement of core features as well as the resource manager we are expecting that to appear in the next update if a minor update doesn't come out before.

Edit: Ninja'd by Chris. :D
  4. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

I'm loving XenPorta but I'd still look forward to an article management system - to act as front page for the websites. I'd like a few things to become a part of XF core -

1. User @tags
    2. tags
    3. Widget Framework
    4. TMS, maybe.
    IcEWoLF, Luke F and lazy llama like this.
  5. Nudaii

Nudaii Well-Known Member

those things are best kept as add-ons, as most sites may not want or need them, and it add's bloat to the software.
    Garamond and 0xym0r0n like this.
  6. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I don't want Galleries or Blogs on my forum. There are things however that I do want but I know many others will not be interested.

I would not mind of XenForo made these as add-on's or if some of the guys out here made the add-on's but I would not want these things so I would rather not have to have them on my forum at all.

I like the idea that if we are going to bloat a forum we bloat it on our own terms and those that want sleek and super lean can have what they want too.
    Markos, MikeJaquish and Saeed like this.
  7. aculate

aculate Well-Known Member

I did all the tests needed to switch from vb3.8.4 ... i'm just waiting for xenForo to have native albums so i can import 4000 images, and i´m all set for the big switch... hopefully by version 1.5...
  8. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

The XF developers made it clear in the first year that their priority was to provide the best possible forum software.
    It is unlikely that they will produce native addons for larger features.

Instead XF policy is to design core code which positively supports addons by secondary developers. It's designed specifically to help other developers contribute to XF.
    Addons are hosted right here on the XF site making them central to the community. They are not treated as 'extra' and exiled to a separate site.

There is a native but separate addon the Resource Manager, where secondary developers list their addons.
    XF moderators are excellent at supporting queries which involve addons. They even make some themselves.
    XF addon developers have a very good reputation for sustained support over time so the usual concern that addons will not continue to be supported does not in general, apply.

The XF board community has always fostered a vigorous addon culture which continued to develop strongly even during the recent low period when core development stopped. Some said that it was the addon culture which kept XF going. showing that the original policy decision to make addons central to XF was even wiser than at first appeared.
    MsJacquiiC likes this.
  9. When was the last update of the Xenforo Software?
  10. Shelley

11. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Who bloody cares what the version number is, as long as there are updates it's all good.
  12. obviously I do, so I want to know as much about my software as possible...
  13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

There still is quite a lot of functionality to add, to allow webmasters running vbulletin Suite to migrate to XenForo. With vb5 in shambles I hope that upcoming XF releases will resolve this. Otherwise thousands of webmasters have no choice but to migrate to IPS. I believe that it would enrich XenForo as a whole to cater to this massive number of potential customers.

KAM have already proven that they are able to create essential functionality without adding bloat.
  14. Shelley

I linked to the update dates in case you missed it. Although the community don't mind help answering your questions a simple search yields results in the queries your asking.
    intradox likes this.
  15. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

The version number determines the content of the update (1.1.4 will mean an interim bugfix release (which is what I prefer), and 1.2 will be a release with new features), so it does matter.

But of course, if you just want new stuff you can say it doesn't. :p
  16. sinful

sinful Member

What I feel is important is a quality mobile skin as part of the core.
    Garamond, Fufu, DarkGizmo and 3 others like this.
  17. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

I couldn't agree more with this statement! Apps are a great alternative but if it was mobile friendly out of the box it would add so much value. So many sites now are responsive design, and a lot of internet browsing is done on mobile devices too.
  18. Crayo

Crayo Active Member

This quickly turned into a "what I want as core in the next version" thread. I believe there is one of those in the off-topic section.
  19. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Well obviously, large "core" features will be included in the next major number revision, eg 1.2.

In the meanwhile, smaller enhancements and bugs would be included in a 1.1.4 update.

Mike is back on Sunday, so hopefully we will have many updates next week!
    Alien, smimosmile and oman like this.
  20. Gladius

Gladius Well-Known Member

Right now no blogs and gallery is one of the larger issues with moving any large vBs over to XenForo. I don't want to export that content into one of a number of XF mods because, like with vB, they'll get dropped by their developers the moment KAM come up with their own version. And we'll be left with a bunch of content that we'll again need to import back. At least the gallery bit is really essential to pretty much every community today.
    CallieJo and cellarius like this.