Xenforo 1.1.4 or v2.

Greetings,

Will Xenforo upgrade now the lawsuit is over to include Galleries, Blogs, etc.? It is a fantastic software but needs these elementally essential features?

All the best,
Seb

Version 1.2 should be the next version unless they do an interim bug fix release.

There's not currently any announcement with regards to the features. I think a gallery and blogs will be unlikely.

Those features might be essential for you. But actually they aren't essential for everyone. A fantastic forum software is what's essential so they should focus on that aspect.

If you need those features, there are plenty of add-ons available.

Greetings,

Will Xenforo upgrade now the lawsuit is over to include Galleries, Blogs, etc.? It is a fantastic software but needs these elementally essential features?

All the best,
Seb

I doubt we'll be seeing the bigger products officially so soon. Essential features, refinement of core features as well as the resource manager we are expecting that to appear in the next update if a minor update doesn't come out before.

Edit: Ninja'd by Chris. :D

Greetings,

All the best,
Seb

I don't want Galleries or Blogs on my forum. There are things however that I do want but I know many others will not be interested.

I would not mind of XenForo made these as add-on's or if some of the guys out here made the add-on's but I would not want these things so I would rather not have to have them on my forum at all.

I like the idea that if we are going to bloat a forum we bloat it on our own terms and those that want sleek and super lean can have what they want too.

I did all the tests needed to switch from vb3.8.4 ... i'm just waiting for xenForo to have native albums so i can import 4000 images, and i´m all set for the big switch... hopefully by version 1.5...

The XF developers made it clear in the first year that their priority was to provide the best possible forum software.
It is unlikely that they will produce native addons for larger features.

Instead XF policy is to design core code which positively supports addons by secondary developers. It's designed specifically to help other developers contribute to XF.
Addons are hosted right here on the XF site making them central to the community. They are not treated as 'extra' and exiled to a separate site.

There is a native but separate addon the Resource Manager, where secondary developers list their addons.
XF moderators are excellent at supporting queries which involve addons. They even make some themselves.
XF addon developers have a very good reputation for sustained support over time so the usual concern that addons will not continue to be supported does not in general, apply.

The XF board community has always fostered a vigorous addon culture which continued to develop strongly even during the recent low period when core development stopped. Some said that it was the addon culture which kept XF going. showing that the original policy decision to make addons central to XF was even wiser than at first appeared.

There still is quite a lot of functionality to add, to allow webmasters running vbulletin Suite to migrate to XenForo. With vb5 in shambles I hope that upcoming XF releases will resolve this. Otherwise thousands of webmasters have no choice but to migrate to IPS. I believe that it would enrich XenForo as a whole to cater to this massive number of potential customers.

KAM have already proven that they are able to create essential functionality without adding bloat.

Who bloody cares what the version number is, as long as there are updates it's all good.
The version number determines the content of the update (1.1.4 will mean an interim bugfix release (which is what I prefer), and 1.2 will be a release with new features), so it does matter.

But of course, if you just want new stuff you can say it doesn't. :p

What I feel is important is a quality mobile skin as part of the core.
I couldn't agree more with this statement! Apps are a great alternative but if it was mobile friendly out of the box it would add so much value. So many sites now are responsive design, and a lot of internet browsing is done on mobile devices too.

Well obviously, large "core" features will be included in the next major number revision, eg 1.2.

In the meanwhile, smaller enhancements and bugs would be included in a 1.1.4 update.

Mike is back on Sunday, so hopefully we will have many updates next week!

Right now no blogs and gallery is one of the larger issues with moving any large vBs over to XenForo. I don't want to export that content into one of a number of XF mods because, like with vB, they'll get dropped by their developers the moment KAM come up with their own version. And we'll be left with a bunch of content that we'll again need to import back. At least the gallery bit is really essential to pretty much every community today.

Top Bottom