Xen Notices [Deleted]

Is it possible to position individual notifications in seperate locations or can you only set the main location that applies to all notifications?

Does anyone knowhow to disable the default XenForo cookie notice? I can't see it listed in the notices or find an option by searching cookie in the spotlight search yet it still show up on my site when I view it with no cookies, I'm going to use mod to display the notice instead I think.

Is it possible to position individual notifications in seperate locations or can you only set the main location that applies to all notifications?

Does anyone knowhow to disable the default XenForo cookie notice? I can't see it listed in the notices or find an option by searching cookie in the spotlight search yet it still show up on my site when I view it with no cookies, I'm going to use mod to display the notice instead I think.
Unfortunately, for reasons beyond my control, the position parameter is global. I experimented with different positions for different notifications and it results in all of them appearing in the same place regardless of what is specified :(

You can turn the cookie notice off here: admin.php?options/list/basicBoard#_showFirstCookieNotice

Unfortunately, for reasons beyond my control, the position parameter is global. I experimented with different positions for different notifications and it results in all of them appearing in the same place regardless of what is specified :(

No worries, I figured you'd probably already checked that out :)

You can turn the cookie notice off here: admin.php?options/list/basicBoard#_showFirstCookieNotice

Doh! Can't believe I missed that, thanks :)

Frustratingly have run out of time today, but this is getting released tomorrow:

Pick background colour:
View attachment 31696

Pick text colour:
View attachment 31697

Result:
View attachment 31698

I'll be honest I 'm not fond of colour changers but the point here that chris implementing this and accommodating, enriching an already rich feature set further is why I enjoy this add-on. Excellent work indeed chris and even more so with the constant improvements being made and shared with the public. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

*looks forward in getting hands on the update*

Likewise, purchased the addon. Looks very good, will wait until the update is out before installing and playing.

Just re-coding the installer now, therefore should be released very soon.

Here's the full change log.

You may have been expecting more features, but unfortunately just the colour picker on this occasion.

Code:
1.1 Fixes:

* Notification Position drop down now fully phrased.
* Error messages when entering values too high are now more user friendly.
* The title field is no longer a required field. This is good to do image only notifications.
* The Dismiss Notification URL now supports friendly and non-friendly URLs.
* The Dismiss Notification prompt now opens in an Overlay.
* New Admin Permission: "Manage notifications".
* Improved database operations in Install.php (identified potential issues with removal).

1.1 New Features:

* New custom styling options. Now also includes a colour picker to easily change the colours of your notification without custom CSS.

Looks great, not got around to updating to latest XF version yet but a definite purchase when we do :-)

Is the dismissal now session-based? The only annoying thing was having the notification appear on every page load even after being dismissed. I'd prefer if it was consistent with notices and once dismissed it stayed dismissed (though with a page somewhere which listed all of the notifications that are still "active" but dismissed). Not sure how others feel about that though.

Looks great, not got around to updating to latest XF version yet but a definite purchase when we do :)

Is the dismissal now session-based? The only annoying thing was having the notification appear on every page load even after being dismissed. I'd prefer if it was consistent with notices and once dismissed it stayed dismissed (though with a page somewhere which listed all of the notifications that are still "active" but dismissed). Not sure how others feel about that though.
There's a lot of confusion between close and dismiss.

This is a notification, it has been marked as "Dismissible":

Notification.webp

This is the close button. It only closes the notification. It does not dismiss it. It is to temporarily close the notification:

Close.webp

This is the dismiss link. This only shows if the notification is "Dismissible". Clicking it permanently dismisses the notification:

Dismiss.webp

I do want to re-engineer it somewhat so that even if a notice is not dismissble, then the close button should dismiss the notification for X days (X definable by the admin). But that will probably be in version 1.2 (the next version after the one I'm about to release).

I just wanted to ensure people knew that right now the behaviour is entirely expected and ensure there's no confusion between close and dismiss.

I do want to re-engineer it somewhat so that even if a notice is not dismissble, then the close button should dismiss the notification for X days (X definable by the admin). But that will probably be in version 1.2 (the next version after the one I'm about to release).

Close is pretty redundant though as it only closes the notification until the next page load. If the notifications blocked the content I can see why you'd want to temporarily close it but as they don't I don't really see the point of it.

Getting rid of close completely and just having "dismiss" would seem to make more sense but with something in your control panel to list dismissed notifications in the unlikely event you want to view one.

Yorick updated Notifications - powered by Gritter with a new update entry:

Bug fixes plus new easy colour picker feature

:D THANK YOU :D

Thank you everyone for your support so far. I'd like to especially thank Shelley and yodawan for their support. I'm dedicated to making this product even better, and your continued support is only making it easier!

Notifications - Version 1.1

This version fixes a number of bugs which were reported, and some others I found myself.

In this version, you can now also easily style your notifications by picking the background...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Close is pretty redundant though as it only closes the notification until the next page load. If the notifications blocked the content I can see why you'd want to temporarily close it but as they don't I don't really see the point of it.

Getting rid of close completely and just having "dismiss" would seem to make more sense but with something in your control panel to list dismissed notifications in the unlikely event you want to view one.

Remember though, you can target exactly where these notifications arise, you don't have to set them to appear on every single page. You may want them to arise every time someone visits the home page, or a specific forum, or if something gets updated on a custom profile, in which case they won't load with every click, only when the person is viewing the targeted area or that criteria is fulfilled. In which case you may wish you use close instead of dismiss. There's use cases for both options.

Perhaps thinking of the close button more of a 'Hide' button and the other one as a 'Permanently dismiss' button would help to clear things up a bit?

Upgraded to 1.1 without any issues whatsoever everything went smoothly without a hitch. Great job chris and thankyou for the update. :)

Perhaps thinking of the close button more of a 'Hide' button and the other one as a 'Permanently dismiss' button would help to clear things up a bit?
^this

It'd be great to have a hide (all) notifications instead of close (x) for later reference.... Close sounds misleading IMO.. X (currently close) could be made the dismiss button and hide could be something like a minimize icon (-)...or any see later icon (if it exists).

BTW thanks for the updates... i can see you have implemented most of the talked about features (y)

Just installed - looks good.....

Only complaint is a generic one! I really think that installation instructions should be either more clear or should point to a generic installation doc which is so. I can't be the only one this clueless.......as to the ability to get confused by:

"2) Upload the contents of the upload folder to the root of your XenForo installation."

Of course, doing so will not properly install the add-on, will it?
Rather, you have to upload three separate directories into their respective directories?

My suggestions is to do both - change the wording to say something like "upload the GritterNotifications directory into your xf_root/library directory, the js/gritter into your xf_root/js directory, etc." AND, also link to the best thread on the XF board as to how add-ons are installed (if there even is one!).......

Top Bottom