[WMTech] Social Share Privacy

[WMTech] Social Share Privacy 1.1.7

No permission to download
Can you please make an option to change button position to top or bottom of thread? I would like to place it at the top of each page/thread too.

I think it is better if there is an option to move the social share button to the top of thread, not at the bottom

We are already preparing an update with the option for an easy placement on top of pages and threads.
Until then, you are able to do this with the custom placement. Just place the magic code line into any position into any XenForo template and the buttons will appear there. See the manual for instructions.

I've noticed that if you exclude a forum from having the Share options (e.g. for a private forum), you still get the "Share This Page" header at the bottom of the page with no buttons.

This is currently as designed. Because the exclusion only applies to OUR buttons. The regular XenForo buttons will be shown instead of our buttons in excluded nodes. But we understand this may not be wanted, so we will correct this behavior in the next version.

Really liking it though, and users are appreciative of the lack of tracking.

Thank you!

wmtech updated [WMTech] Social Share Privacy with a new update entry:

v1.1.1: New Features, Some Code Enhancements and a Backend Bugfix

> Version 1.1.1 <
New Features, Some Code Enhancements and a Backend Bugfix

This upgrade s recommended for all customers.

Changelog:

NEW: Easily selectable location on top of threads and pages

NEW: Optional horizontal placement of buttons in sidebar

NEW: Optional global disabling of default XenForo share buttons

NEW: Support for Memcached cache in Shariff backend

BUGFIX: Minor bug in Shariff backend when counting...

Read the rest of this update entry...

With this option enabled:
upload_2015-8-15_15-19-31.webp

.. buttons in sidebar looks fine on all pages (like in previous post) except users profile page where it looks like this:

upload_2015-8-15_15-21-8.webp

As you can see the width is just decreased a little bit, that's all.

.. buttons in sidebar looks fine on all pages (like in previous post) except users profile page where it looks like this:

The profile page does not use the sidebar selector, causing this problem. We've updated the package to include a few new CSS rules to have this covered.

Just download the add-on again from your licenses page at our site and update the XML. No need to reupload the files.

FYI: At your screenshot another little gem of this add-on can be seen: It adapts the language of the button texts to the language the visitor selected at your board automatically. ;)

The profile page does not use the sidebar selector, causing this problem. We've updated the package to include a few new CSS rules to have this covered.

Just download the add-on again from your licenses page at our site and update the XML. No need to reupload the files.
(y)

FYI: At your screenshot another little gem of this add-on can be seen: It adapts the language of the button texts to the language the visitor selected at your board automatically. ;)
I know (y)

Thanks for the update. Just installed and its looking amazing.

Some points:
  • The mail button is not working for me.
  • Do you have any plan to transform the "links" into buttons ? The underline effect on hover doesn't look that good.. Ofc I can change it on extra.css.. Its just a question.. hehe. Look at this example and tell me if you don't think it looks more "professional": Ridiculously Responsive Social Sharing Buttons . Another sample: CSS social share button

Last edited:
Getting some errors with the new versions:
Code:
Error Info
RuntimeException: SplFileInfo::getMTime(): stat failed for /var/tmp/Shariff-d6/Shariff-c0d5cf6788bda196ce0beed404017d74.dat - library/WMTech/SocialSharePrivacy/shariff-backend/vendor/zendframework/zend-cache/src/Storage/Adapter/Filesystem.php:153
Generated By: Unknown Account, 3 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 blah/forums/library/WMTech/SocialSharePrivacy/shariff-backend/vendor/zendframework/zend-cache/src/Storage/Adapter/Filesystem.php(153): SplFileInfo->getMTime()
#1 blah/forums/library/WMTech/SocialSharePrivacy/shariff-backend/src/ZendCache.php(62): Zend\Cache\Storage\Adapter\Filesystem->clearExpired()
#2 blah/forums/library/WMTech/SocialSharePrivacy/shariff-backend/src/Backend.php(37): Heise\Shariff\ZendCache->__construct(Array)
#3 blah/forums/wmt_shariff.php(110): Heise\Shariff\Backend->__construct(Array)
#4 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(128) "http://blah/forums/wmt_shariff.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblah%2Fforums%2Fthreads%2Fwho-employs-judges.287753%2F"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}
When I check for the file that failed the stat, it doesn't exist. The web user has full access to the /var/log/Shariff-* directories.
For the time being I've disabled the counts as I think that's what's using all those cache files and haven't seen an error since.
This seems to be the relevant error - PHP-Error · Issue #22 · heiseonline/shariff-backend-php · GitHub

Thanks for the update. Just installed and its looking amazing.

Some points:
  • The mail button is not working for me.
  • Do you have any plan to transform the "links" into buttons ? The underline effect on hover doesn't look that good.. Ofc I can change it on extra.css.. Its just a question.. hehe. Look at this example and tell me if you don't think it looks more "professional": Ridiculously Responsive Social Sharing Buttons . Another sample: CSS social share button

There are no plans for this at the moment. As you said: Feel free to style the buttons as you like with CSS changes.

The mail button needs the "mailto:" link enabled in your (the visitor's) browser. If you have disabled it (or no e-mail program assigned to it) it will fail. The same is true for the "whatsapp:" link in mobile browsers with the WhatsApp button.

Getting some errors with the new versions:
When I check for the file that failed the stat, it doesn't exist. The web user has full access to the /var/log/Shariff-* directories.
For the time being I've disabled the counts as I think that's what's using all those cache files and haven't seen an error since.
This seems to be the relevant error - PHP-Error · Issue #22 · heiseonline/shariff-backend-php · GitHub

This has nothing to do with the new version of this add-on as we are using the same backend version. The Shariff backend is used to update the counters in the background only. It unfortunately has a known race condition when using the Filesystem cache (which is default).

Those errors can simply be disregarded until the Shariff developers have found a solution for it (we will update the add-on as soon as there will be a new version).

Or you can switch to the Memcached cache, which has no such problems.

And -of course- you can also deactivate the counters, which disables the backend completely.

This has nothing to do with the new version of this add-on as we are using the same backend version. The Shariff backend is used to update the counters in the background only. It unfortunately has a known race condition when using the Filesystem cache (which is default).

Those errors can simply be disregarded until the Shariff developers have found a solution for it (we will update the add-on as soon as there will be a new version).
Thanks, as I understand it, before 1.10 the Shariff backend wasn't used which explains why I'm seeing those.
Or you can switch to the Memcached cache, which has no such problems.
Tried that as I do have memcached enabled in config.php but get different errors:
Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Undefined index: status - wmt_shariff.php:62
Generated By: Unknown Account, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 blah/forums/wmt_shariff.php(62): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/usr/home/www/v...', 62, Array)
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(167) "http://blah/forums/wmt_shariff.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblah%2Fforums%2Fthreads%2Fdaine-abbot-supports-john-mcdonells-nomination-for-leader.132600%2F"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}
Added a 'status' => true item to the array in config.php and the error changed to saying that it needed memcached >= 1.0.0. I'm running 1.4.15 so I'm out of ideas on that front.
And -of course- you can also deactivate the counters, which disables the backend completely.
Thanks, will do that for the time being.

Looks like the thread title isn't being inserted correctly on XFMedia Gallery pages (or on AVForums Competition addon pages)

Thanks, as I understand it, before 1.10 the Shariff backend wasn't used which explains why I'm seeing those.

Shariff is used in versions 1.1.0 and 1.1.1. Before that no counters and no backend were included.

Tried that as I do have memcached enabled in config.php but get different errors:

Added a 'status' => true item to the array in config.php and the error changed to saying that it needed memcached >= 1.0.0. I'm running 1.4.15 so I'm out of ideas on that front.
Thanks, will do that for the time being.

We will make the "status" config item optional from the next version on as not everyone uses it in XenForo config. Thanks for your help.

The other errors does not refer to the Memcached version, but to the Memcached Extension you use in PHP. It needs to be 1.0.0 or greater to work correctly. Just update the extension with PECL:
PECL :: Package :: memcached

would it be possible to add a reddit option?

This will be added very soon, the backend is already supporting it. ;)

Looks like the thread title isn't being inserted correctly on XFMedia Gallery pages (or on AVForums Competition addon pages)

If no title for the page where the buttons are placed can be found (can happen for various reasons), it always will fall back to the title of your board. This is what you experienced and it works as designed.

nice work

Thank you.

Last edited:
If no title for the page where the buttons are placed can be found (can happen for various reasons), it always will fall back to the title of your board. This is what you experienced and it works as designed.

But XFMG pages have titles?

But XFMG pages have titles?

All pages in XenForo have titles and urls. But unfortunately they are not transmitted correctly to the share button templates by all add-ons. This is why we need this fallback. XFMG also seems to have a bug regarding the transmission of the share url.

The next version (already released at our support site) features a new way to collect title and url information via javascript instead of relying on XenForo code. It greatly enhances the situation with XFMG and some other add-ons.

We also have found a temporary solution regarding the known race condition in the backend cache. So the file system errors won't be shown any longer in XenForo's server error log.

The update will be posted here soon.

v1.1.1: Some Code Optimizations And Another Backend Bugfix

> Version 1.1.2 <
Some Code Optimizations And Another Backend Bugfix

Changelog:

NEW: Enhanced support for title and url in XF Media Gallery

NEW: Enhanced title support for third party add-ons

BUGFIX: Annoying error in Shariff backend with a race condition suppressed

BUGFIX: Beta Memcached support enhanced to make server "status" var optional

Upgrade Instructions:...

Thanks for the update, @wmtech - I've managed to get the counts working using the file system cache (my memcached still won't play, but I suspect that it's a bit unusual in that it's using a Unix socket).

I'm getting errors when the cache is cleaned up - could this be related to the race-condition that was worked around earlier?
Code:
Error Info
Zend\Cache\Exception\RuntimeException: Failed to clear expired items - library/WMTech/SocialSharePrivacy/shariff-backend/vendor/zendframework/zend-cache/src/Storage/Adapter/Filesystem.php:176
Generated By: Unknown Account, 7 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 blah/forums/library/WMTech/SocialSharePrivacy/shariff-backend/src/ZendCache.php(62): Zend\Cache\Storage\Adapter\Filesystem->clearExpired()
#1 blah/forums/library/WMTech/SocialSharePrivacy/shariff-backend/src/Backend.php(37): Heise\Shariff\ZendCache->__construct(Array)
#2 blah/forums/wmt_shariff.php(108): Heise\Shariff\Backend->__construct(Array)
#3 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(130) "http://blah/forums/wmt_shariff.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblah%2Fforums%2Fthreads%2Fwindows-10-announced.327864%2F"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Thanks for the update, @wmtech - I've managed to get the counts working using the file system cache (my memcached still won't play, but I suspect that it's a bit unusual in that it's using a Unix socket).

I'm getting errors when the cache is cleaned up - could this be related to the race-condition that was worked around earlier?

Yes, you may see this errors for some time until they will disappear. Nothing to worry about.

ZendCache is not compatible with socket calls of Memcached. So we are out of luck here. But the file system cache will work fine for you.

There is one last update (for the time being) of this add-on in our pipeline (will be released tomorrow) which will add a share button for reddit (you can see it live at our site already). After that we are concentrating at a huge update of our Link Essentials product with a lot of new features.

v1.1.3: Added Reddit Button, Some Code Optimizations & A Bugfix

> Version 1.1.3 <
Added Reddit Button, Some Code Optimizations & A Bugfix

It is the last update for some time (except bug fixing, if serious bugs would be discovered)

Changelog:

NEW: Reddit Social Share Button

NEW: Enhanced page title for some share buttons

NEW: Enhanced contrast for Xing button

BUGFIX: Template error at XFMG album pages fixed

Upgrade Instructions:...

Top Bottom