Windows 8.1

May be your turnover is in the millions or something but I don't think I am the only person using windows 8 and all people are wrong and you are right.
Well, of course, I *am* right for my own needs. I don't care what others say or what they use, never did. I'm a person who prefers a command line environment for many tasks, and very often in my professional life, I was already relaxing at home while colleagues were still trying to figure out where to click next for another couple of hours :)

User interfaces made for easy of use are usually failing for professional users, because they're making things more complex than necessary. That's a fact. Just look at the UI of complex 3d software packages (Maya, XSI, etc.) - the typical user would probably describe such an UI as a nightmarish, overloaded hell of apparently randomly placed icons and menus, but, in fact, it's exactly the opposite.

Windows 8 alone outstrips all the apple IOS every sold.
So you're going to present a nice pie chart? Maybe you also want to play a little game - one that is a lot of fun to play with the piechart and powerpoint faction :)

Oh, and where did I play the Apple card? I did not, because Apple is just *slightly* better than MS in software design, but has a ton of other problems, so it's not an option for me either.

For webdevelopers I suggest using http://modern.ie to check windows 8 support for new features like titles and live feed for your site.

I suggest forgetting IE once and forever and stick to common standards. In a couple of years, IE won't play a role any longer except in businesses. Guaranteed.

Sorry, I'm in this industry for a waaaaay too long time, I've seen so many *major* screwups, promises and - of course - a zillion of nice looking presentations (including pie charts, of course) to believe anything of this.

Fact is, the traditional Windows PC is being replaced in many areas by our so-called "smart" devices - phones, tablets, whatever. Users don't care what operating system is running on the device, most people don't even know what a operating system actually is for, so why should they care about its manufacturer or its name? Currently, MS is trying to do things others have already done years ago, and since MS does not do them significantly better (or cheaper), their success will be limited.

They should concentrate on business products, because that's where they're actually competent and that's where they're making most of their money.

I'm betting those stats, or a high % are forced users stats to use win8.
Please notice the URL of the stats image. Are you telling me apple insider would promote MS with stats?

then there's users who are forced to purchase the OS running the system they want to purchase because it was the only windows OS they, Microsoft 8 - carpal tunnel edition.
No manufacturer that I know off forces users into buying a OS. If a manufacturer does that you could switch brands its not MS or windows 8 fault that manufacturers only support windows 8.

Dell for example gives laptops in MS DOS, Linux or Windows. You have a choice and need to ask for it.

At the end of the day Windows 8 sold 110 million copies in a market that they said is saturated and end of PC is here.. MS should be appreciated for what it has achieved here no other company is even remotely close.

Been downloading Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store for about 21 hours now, on a high speed FiOS line, only at 33%. Will be lucky if it finishes today.

Been downloading Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store for about 21 hours now, on a high speed FiOS line, only at 33%. Will be lucky if it finishes today.

You may want to cancel and try again. I'm on FibreOp and 8.1 downloaded from the store in minutes. The installation however, took a lot longer than I expected. 8.1 is pretty nice and so far everything I have installed seems to work as expected (Norton 360 didn't, but there was an update for it, and it works with 8.1 now).

Mine did this exact same thing....when the Store/download was occurring in the background. Then when I made the Store/download the active application, it sped up and jumped from 75% after 24 hours, to 100% in just another 15 minutes.

Right after I posted here, maybe 2 minutes, the download finished and installation began.

Wish I had known how to NOT use a microsoft account from the get go. First thing I did in Windows 8 was switch to a local account.

After the upgrade to 8.1 it "forced" me to use a Microsoft Account again. When I switched back to local all my local settings (like desktop background, color scheme, etc...) were lost. I suspect had I stayed on the local account the whole time that wouldn't have happened.

If you want to keep your local account either disconnect from the Internet before the reboot or just keep getting the Microsoft account details wrong, eventually it will let you use a local account instead.

Honestly not noticing any difference. The Windows "start button" is not, it is the same thing that would have happened in 8.0 had you brought the mouse to that corner of the screen anyway.

Have been busy on a project so not really looking at the changes but no big deal so far other than the account annoyance.

I only have 1 computer running Windows 8 at the moment... I will not be updating to 8.1. There are things in the new user agreement that I found a little concerning.

Will stick to Windows 8.0, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Debian, and Android

This is officially where i finally get off the Microsoft bus.

Right after I posted here, maybe 2 minutes, the download finished and installation began.

Wish I had known how to NOT use a microsoft account from the get go. First thing I did in Windows 8 was switch to a local account.

After the upgrade to 8.1 it "forced" me to use a Microsoft Account again. When I switched back to local all my local settings (like desktop background, color scheme, etc...) were lost. I suspect had I stayed on the local account the whole time that wouldn't have happened.

If you want to keep your local account either disconnect from the Internet before the reboot or just keep getting the Microsoft account details wrong, eventually it will let you use a local account instead.

Honestly not noticing any difference. The Windows "start button" is not, it is the same thing that would have happened in 8.0 had you brought the mouse to that corner of the screen anyway.

Have been busy on a project so not really looking at the changes but no big deal so far other than the account annoyance.
Nope, it's not just you. They want you to have a Microsoft account and they want you to get use to using it with Windows ;)

I only have 1 computer running Windows 8 at the moment... I will not be updating to 8.1. There are things in the new user agreement that I found a little concerning.
Yeah, me too. But...
Nope, it's not just you. They want you to have a Microsoft account and they want you to get use to using it with Windows ;)
You can un-link the account from windows and go back to what you previously had with 8.0. When I installed 8.1, I synced one of my MS accounts, then after installation I unlinked it. I did this for security reasons only.

I know Microsoft won't like that, and will not see it that way, but it is.

windows.8.app.updates.webp

I guess there are App updates and OS updates now.
I just did that App updates, not that I use any of them.

upload_2013-10-20_9-24-11.webp

Really ?
Is Windows 8.1 a 3.62 Gig download ?

Hugely regret updating to 8.1 without taking a full disk image first (only backed up important files)

Microsoft have broken a number of mouse APIs used by 99% of games, capped the mouse usb polling rate at 200hz and capped the software cursor position update rate to ~60hz

While 8 was a step forward for gaming, 8.1 is a massive leap back

Microsoft have broken a number of mouse APIs used by 99% of games, capped the mouse usb polling rate at 200hz and capped the software cursor position update rate to ~60hz
While 8 was a step forward for gaming, 8.1 is a massive leap back
Interesting.
Hard to imagine what Microsoft was thinking.
I would never have anticipated 8.1 would break mouse APIs.

Does your hardware have 8.1 updates ? "Might" help ? (They probably don't).

windows.8.1.start.me.up.no.mouse.webp

I took a lot of convincing to upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate from Win XP , think it was a good 2 years before I finally caved in and went ahead...

Strange considering I was involved with running a forum for modified versions of Windows , Win 7 took some getting used to after being a staunch XP user for so long. Until it dawned on me that the improvements in Win 7 were in fact some of the things that we and other groups had been modifying in XP anyway..

Win 8 & 8.1 strike me as being just like Windows ME , rushed out & pandering to the needs of the few over the masses who want stability and usability .
I wont say " NEVER " but I will say I am in no rush to try Win 8 , Win 7 Ultimate suits my needs and as the old saying goes " If it aint broken , dont try and fix it ".

Regards..

Microsoft admitted there is still work to be done with 8.1 and they will roll out updates to fix various issues. Right now I get random corrupted images being displayed in all browsers.

Top Bottom