Add-on WidgetPortal

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's this performance wise? Xenporta has been causing us huge problems on a very busy site.
hey man. hard to say. it's ALPHA / BETA !
It's based on xfrocks' Widget framework which people say is super fast.
Like Digital Doctor said it's ALPHA. It hasn't really been "put through it paces" yet. I expect it will be EXCELLENT, and if I come to find out it's not I'll be sure to improve it so that it is. I'll be running it on my site so you can be sure performance is important to me as well.

There will be a slide but I'm implementing it differently because I like a different style slider with thumbnails on the bottom.

Define clumsy? Or better put, what didn't you like about it. I'm using WF thread widget as the base for the portal widget. In fact the base code is mostly the same (I pull a little more post information), display is what is mostly different.
Also if anyone has designs that you think the recent threads / post widget should look like I'm willing to consider design suggestions for that widget. Right now it's a cleaner version of what was on xenPorta. (Removed the funky date, moved post meta data to the bottom)

This first release will be public alpha, so anyone that would like to "Beta Test" is welcome to do so.
As air is necessary for me a normal portal, at me a forum on some thousand people a day. XenPorta outwardly was pleasant, but there it is necessary to work with a plane over it... not all plug-ins are compatible to it, and in general there are a lot of complaints something as I will look, and that sadly the author isn't going to support and develop it, therefore I for paid addons. Good things should count for something. Well and so, if it is interesting to you to test the development, there are no problems, I with pleasure will participate.
RecentSlider is really good :)

Also if anyone has designs that you think the recent threads / post widget should look like I'm willing to consider design suggestions for that widget. Right now it's a cleaner version of what was on xenPorta. (Removed the funky date, moved post meta data to the bottom)

I like somethink like the build in news feed: http://xenforo.com/community/account/news-feed

Just smaller, so that it would fit into a sidebar.

I really hate xenporta's slider. Prefer the one you have here. :)

Really excited to try this as xfrocks widgets since the last update have become immensely flexible and provide lots of interesting new opportunities. Many thanks for taking your own time to develop this for the community.

Is it possible to have a widget that just displays the content of a post?
Do you mean, only the content nothing else?
Something like (disregard styling):
Well there's already a thread widget for the sidebar that is pretty minimal as is. I can certainly take design ideas from the news feed for the main recent threads widget though.
Is it possible to have a widget that just displays the content of a post?
Really excited to try this as xfrocks widgets since the last update have become immensely flexible and provide lots of interesting new opportunities. Many thanks for taking your own time to develop this for the community.
Sure that's possible.

Actually from the last post I realized there's a great idea there. In the NEXT version I'll include 3 templates for the recent threads widget. For this release it'll only have the second bullet.
  • News Format Display (Think xenPorta's Recent News)
  • Feed Display (See news feed)
  • Minimal (Post data only, with hidden meta data that displays on hover)

Do you mean, only the content nothing else?
Something like (disregard styling)

What I'd like to do is to have a widget where you can just specify a post id and it displays the content of that post (not a thread, just a single post). There's something similar for xenporta (the postid block) and we use it to display a post on our homepage that our mods can edit (without needing them to be admins).

I've literally just been asked about an alternative portal.

Is this still on target for this weekend? :D :coffee:

I've literally just been asked about an alternative portal.

Is this still on target for this weekend? :D :coffee:
Yep! But please remember this is Alpha, even though I expect it to be release quality, please allow some external testing before running this on a live site.

What I'd like to do is to have a widget where you can just specify a post id and it displays the content of that post (not a thread, just a single post). There's something similar for xenporta (the postid block) and we use it to display a post on our homepage that our mods can edit (without needing them to be admins).
That's certainly doable. The backend code is basically written with the carousel, just requires a few minor changes.

I have a question about the Article view for specific forum. From what I understand, this appears to apply to threads in a designated forum/category.
What happens at my site and many sites is that sometimes, we want to promote a good thread in various forums to the front page. We want these articles to look differently than the standard postbit format.

Having to specify a forum(s) so that the threads appears in this format defeats the flexibility.

Is it possible to Promote a thread and only this thread can have Article format? Maybe you can attach an Article prefix to these promoted threads and only threads with this prefix can have this Article layout.

Hope this is clear to you.

Is it possible to Promote a thread and only this thread can have Article format? Maybe you can attach an Article prefix to these promoted threads and only threads with this prefix can have this Article layout.
Yeah, I internally knew this would be part of the promote threads functionality. However, I hadn't added it the list. Now it's added to the requested features list for documentation purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom