Add-on WidgetPortal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I am not polluting your thread with this. I thought I would just list the features I have been wanting some that may already be in this.

1. I would like it to be the front page of my forum.
2. I would like to promote the first post in a thread to an article on the front page.
3. I would like posts in the thread to appear as comments on the front page and would like comments on the front page to appear as threads.
4. I want permissions so that only admins can promote an article.
5. I want to be able to control the order the articles are displayed in.
6. I would like it to allow me to set the articles up as double column of articles.
7. I want categories or an index of some kind that would allow the users to only have articles show inside of that category.

I think I covered all of my wants.

Here's a teaser
WidgetPortalScreen1.webp

Not releasable yet, but close. Realized I needed to move the carousel edit page from within the portal to a separate page since the widgets are cached for non admin users. I'll probably need to move it to the admin at somepoint, but the admin is a little clunky for front end selection options.

1. I would like it to be the front page of my forum.
Yes it is able to do that.
2. I would like to promote the first post in a thread to an article on the front page.
3. I would like posts in the thread to appear as comments on the front page and would like comments on the front page to appear as threads.
4. I want permissions so that only admins can promote an article.
5. I want to be able to control the order the articles are displayed in.
Not as is. Possibly coming in a future version. See the promote thread functionality.
6. I would like it to allow me to set the articles up as double column of articles.
You'll have the ability to set widgets in three locations: Left Sidebar, Main Content, Right Sidebar.
7. I want categories or an index of some kind that would allow the users to only have articles show inside of that category.
Not as is, but is possible as a future integration with xenTags and the future "Promote Thread Widget"

Yes it is able to do that.

Not as is. Possibly coming in a future version.

You'll have the ability to set widgets in three locations: Left Sidebar, Main Content, Right Sidebar.

Not as is, but is possible as a future integration with xenTags and the future "Promote Thread Widget"

I hope you charge for this and make money off of it. If and when it will be able to meet my requirements I will be happy to buy it.

I'm waiting on a DNS entry to update so I can do my final testing on the demo site. That should update today.

I saw a clean looking slider I liked.
FWIW, here it is:
simple.slider.webp

Here is the 8wayrun (XenPorta) slider:

8wayrun.slider.webp

I think I like the titles preview on the XenPorta one.

Chacun son gout.

I'm waiting on a DNS entry to update so I can do my final testing on the demo site. That should update today.
Are we there yet?
I may have to run out to buy more beer. I haven't left the keyboard since you announced it arrives on the weekend.

There's one thing holding up this release.
  • Attachments mostly pull correctly but there are outliners which are screwing the carousel up.
Basically everything else is good as is. I don't like to release with features not working correctly so this release will again be pushed back. Unless I figure it out in the next hour or so.

Here is something I found interesting about the promote to homepage functionality. On site like http://9to5mac.com/, you can see them have some articles that are just links and not fully articles.
It would be nice to be able to promote an article with a checkbox that will only show the title. This allows us to push more articles to the homepage and only keep popular articles with full display details.

Here is something I found interesting about the promote to homepage functionality. On site like http://9to5mac.com/, you can see them have some articles that are just links and not fully articles.
It would be nice to be able to promote an article with a checkbox that will only show the title. This allows us to push more articles to the homepage and only keep popular articles with full display details.
I like the idea of that, kinda of promote to home page, then a dropdown displaying Feature or Link. Or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom