Why have the posters name in the post?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Considering XF is becoming known for its lack of bloat and unnecessary elements, why is the post author's name in the body of the post itself in the bottom left hand corner?

It just seems superfluous to me as the author's name is just on the left under the avatar.

I suppose on really long posts it may help to remind you who the author was if you've got a poor memory ;)

I'd have to get Kier to double check this, but if you use the iPhone's auto-zoom function on a post body, for example, it will zoom beyond the username block (just showing the post width).
That's a fair point and not something I had considered.

and serves as a good reminder at the bottom of a long post.
I had considered that one :D

I'd have to get Kier to double check this, but if you use the iPhone's auto-zoom function on a post body, for example, it will zoom beyond the username block (just showing the post width). It also follows where the eye is and serves as a good reminder at the bottom of a long post.

Good point.

I'd have to get Kier to double check this, but if you use the iPhone's auto-zoom function on a post body, for example, it will zoom beyond the username block (just showing the post width). It also follows where the eye is and serves as a good reminder at the bottom of a long post.

I guess it would help with google's extraction of author and dates also...

That makes me think, this is all HTML5 based are you using things like the <cite> tag etc though??? things like that and <q> instead of <blockquote> are things I am getting to like...

Yes, that's the reason it's there, along with a semantic association of author and post date.

How about making a floating label showing the author's name that pops up whenever the user/avatar bubble scrolls out of view, using JS? Or, while you're at it, just making the user bubble float relative to page scrolling whenever it would normally scroll out of view? That way, there's no extra clutter for short posts.

Heh, ok, very good points to keep the name there. ;)

It's not directly related, but could we write

Kier, today at 9:27 PM

instead of

Kier, Today at 9:27 PM

I don't know why, but the capital T really stands out to me as grammatically incorrect. Or, if you like to keep the capital letter, use a dash instead of a comma. Just a suggestion. ;)

I think it looks better with the capital, but I'm sure you can change it yourself if it really bothers you.

I think solely for the reason of reading a long post, that it's good to have the author name below it.

Whatever is decided on, it HAS to stay under the avatar. If it is removed, I will change my avatar to Kier. :p

Top Bottom