1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why have the posters name in the post?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Brogan, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Considering XF is becoming known for its lack of bloat and unnecessary elements, why is the post author's name in the body of the post itself in the bottom left hand corner?

It just seems superfluous to me as the author's name is just on the left under the avatar.

I suppose on really long posts it may help to remind you who the author was if you've got a poor memory ;)

2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

This thought occurred to me a while ago too, but I kind of just shrugged it off. I agree, it does seem repeating information needlessly.

3. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Deleted

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'd have to get Kier to double check this, but if you use the iPhone's auto-zoom function on a post body, for example, it will zoom beyond the username block (just showing the post width). It also follows where the eye is and serves as a good reminder at the bottom of a long post.

5. Brogan

That's a fair point and not something I had considered.

I had considered that one :D

6. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

Good point.

7. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I guess it would help with google's extraction of author and dates also...

That makes me think, this is all HTML5 based are you using things like the <cite> tag etc though??? things like that and <q> instead of <blockquote> are things I am getting to like...

8. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, that's the reason it's there, along with a semantic association of author and post date.

9. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

It's handy after a long post, I like it being there.

10. mufunyo

mufunyo Member

How about making a floating label showing the author's name that pops up whenever the user/avatar bubble scrolls out of view, using JS? Or, while you're at it, just making the user bubble float relative to page scrolling whenever it would normally scroll out of view? That way, there's no extra clutter for short posts.

11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Is there something you don't think of? :eek:

Derek Ivey likes this.
  12. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm sure there's something we haven't thought of. Well there probably is. Somewhere...

James likes this.
  13. Private_Ale

Private_Ale Member

I like it :)
    It's somewhat like a signature at the end of a letter. Looks clean and professional.

14. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Deleted

15. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Nice to see it's practical, and a very neat feature for phones :)

16. I think it looks better with the capital, but I'm sure you can change it yourself if it really bothers you.

17. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

Wouldn't this also show when the post was last edited?? Might not always be edited by the post author. Not sure if both author and editor is displayed.

18. Brogan

Post editing reasons/time stamping isn't implemented, if it's even coded.

19. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

Yup, you're right. Just edited my post above and it shows nothing of the sort.

20. Floris

Floris Guest

I think solely for the reason of reading a long post, that it's good to have the author name below it.

Whatever is decided on, it HAS to stay under the avatar. If it is removed, I will change my avatar to Kier. :p