Who uses /recent-activity/ here @ xenforo.com ?

Do you use /recent-activity/ here at xenforo.com ?

• Yes, @ xenforo.com

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No.

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • No. But I do at my own site.

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Not at all, actually I don't even use the news feed in here or anywhere for that matter. I don't know, I guess I just like to check the forum normally, unless I really want to know what the people I'm following are saying.

for the "Your Newsfeed", I would like to give another suggestion if I am allowed to do so?

I think this makes sense and would be easier for the user to discover "Your Newsfeed":
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/adding-your-news-feed-tab-to-profile-page.22876/#post-285192

The "Your Newsfeed" is just too hidden away IMHO and I think it would help our forums if it would be more exposed.

What I would suggest is focus/concentrate on "What's New?" for anything related to showing the latest updates: threads, profiles, members... Make the What's New page the place to be instead of multiple pages that show updates.

This can be achieved by a tabbed interface on this page. For example "New Threads" "All Activity"

Then instead of a static list showing all activity, make it function like the Digitalpoint Spy thingy, so you can follow activity live without needing to refresh the page to stay up-to-date.

Now you have a very powerful What's New page, which if needed can still be linked from the Members tab. The benefit is more people will notice 'Recent Activity' and actually use it.

the issue I am having on my own forum, is that under "What's New" the threads are disappearing (even for guest-users who are not logged-in) after 2 days. This is then always showing an empty page which surely does not help me to get my forum off the ground (started my forum from scratch).

What I would suggest is focus/concentrate on "What's New?" for anything related to showing the latest updates: threads, profiles, members... Make the What's New page the place to be instead of multiple pages that show updates.

This can be achieved by a tabbed interface on this page. For example "New Threads" "All Activity"

Then instead of a static list showing all activity, make it function like the Digitalpoint Spy thingy, so you can follow activity live without needing to refresh the page to stay up-to-date.

Now you have a very powerful What's New page, which if needed can still be linked from the Members tab. The benefit is more people will notice 'Recent Activity' and actually use it.

I do not fully understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate or post a mockup or something? Many thanks! Maybe it is just too late in the evening for me :coffee:

tabbed interface on this page. For example "New Threads" "All Activity"

Then instead of a static list... you can follow activity live without needing to refresh the page to stay up-to-date.

This approaches kkm on previous page ...

if i don't see any new posts in the announcement forum i check my alerts, what's new?, news feed, than recent activity - recent activity is a very useful tool and i really stump into interesting materials when used...
anyway i would like one single page for all of these features ;)

Me I'd like page sections in 2 columns to make a news hub page.

News Hub mockup.webp

(Edited to a graphic as previously didnt show well)

Could be on Tabs. Matter of personal prefs. Whichever we got it could be modded into the other.
Would need a bit of description in small text to explain what the four big ones are.

Hmm I did not mean to delete the existing separate items. Just some would much prefer a coordinated news hub. It's actually what is implied by "Whats New?" - great name but actually it's about a limited area.

the issue I am having on my own forum, is that under "What's New" the threads are disappearing (even for guest-users who are not logged-in) after 2 days. This is then always showing an empty page which surely does not help me to get my forum off the ground (started my forum from scratch).
It just plain doesn't make sense this isn't entirely and seamlessly fixed yet.
Under no circumstances ever should the words "No Results Found" ever appear *for a guest* that clicks "What's New".

Template edit to extend the time:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/forum-what´s-new-it-shows-no-results-found.5925/

Xenfans addon:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/looking-for-a-few-beta-testers-whats-new-block-add-on.21100/

this is the most annoying stuff I have with XenForo.
Not very friendly for Forums starting from scratch with small amount of content.......

Would recent activity work better as a Tab (not a subtab of Members) ?
Would it give Xenforo a more social feel ?
As well ... Under this tab [name: Recent ?] ..... it might be a nice location for Taigachat ! :)

I find Recent Threads a lot more fun and useful than Whats New.
Jake's nodes as tabs add-on makes Recent Threads appear on the secondary menu bar which I love. SAves going through What's New. Also for small or starter boards you can extend the period from 30 days upwards.

We 'd use it more if it had the ability to become sort of the "Facebook Wall" where you have your 'status update' at the top of the Recent Activity page.

As a matter of fact, I'd use that as my homepage if that was the case :)

I agree that if the Recent Activity page had a way to auto-update via js like the digitalpoint spy add-on, then Recent Activity would be a killer feature and would make a great front page for many of us.

If anyone wants to try to take on that project, I'm willing to throw in some cash to make it happen.

When I first noticed it I used it a bit here, but as time went on and things became more busy I stopped using it as much. I do however use it on my own sites much more frequently.

Top Bottom