Which addons would you require?

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

What would be a showstopper for you during purchase, if you could get a copy -right now-, in regards to add-ons? Compared to other BBS solutions or what you are using right now?

For me to even consider changing my main forum, I would need at the bare minimum:
  • Automatic posting new threads to twitter (whilst minimal in nature, it provides a huge service to a large audience who are twitter oriented to follow new topics)
  • CMS - Some type of basic article with sections ability to isolate important content for ease of finding and reading.
  • Ability that google translate integrates into the site to allow user multi-lingual abilities for true multi-lingual community discussion, ie. post in Chinese and I read in English, vice versa.
  • IM & live chat (arrowchat, cometchat, something along those lines as a third party would need to support integration)
  • Blog would be nice, as my users do use them, ie. member diaries, group blogging. (not as essential as CMS, but would be nice as an additional product)
New Ventures

• CMS minimal (I don't do bridging well nowadays and prefer an all-in-one product - vb or IPB)
The product obviously needs to have decent inbuilt abilities for spam protection to stop it in its tracks.

Twitter posting : Can't you use like hootsuite and the forums' feed url? Just curious :)

About multi languages : xf is 100% utf-8 (woot woot)

Live chat : xenfans.com is going to offer mibbit integration for irc as done for vbulletin

A CMS / Blog would be nice, but I have to be honest, that's only interesting for me if it's for a business site. It's a rarity on all the sites I manage (50+) that users actually blog.

My input! :D

Anti spam measures are a must for me, but even more so: user friendliness. I hate signing up on sites where I spend 15 minutes just to get an account.
Akismet support for existing content, and stopforumspam integration as preventive meassure; would help.

However, dealing with a spammer is easier than I've ever seen before on a forum. I am looking forward slaying some users on my sites with this :D

Stop Forum Spam has been working well for us and it enabled us to keep our registration page down to the very basic details (it was much more complicated previously). One blowback is that we're seeing about a 6% false positive rate on new registrations that are coming from IP's that were once blacklisted. Most of the IP's we researched had been logged months ago without any recent activity.

I mentioned this in another post. Even if xenForo is working on a convert option (and I did not hear anything negative about this), we have a developer at xenfans.com that has made a vb4 to vb3 downgrade service, and is working on xenPort, a convert option to go from old_system -> xenforo_system. Since we do not have the database structure at the moment, it's not yet finished. And I am sure perhaps others are considering offering a convert option as well. I am certain this is not a showstopper for people with existing boards like vbulletin or ipb.

We're mostly still on VB3.8.X boards for the big stuff and smaller boards and new projects are on VB4.0.5 - We'll keep an eye on that point. I noticed the XenPort option floating around and I didn't know about xenfans.com - sorry for the redundancy.

xenfans isn't open yet :) We have to hide a few things before going public. :D

Ignore user, ignore thread, ignore forum (with admin overrides).

Like system is nice but a true rating system that can sink troublesome threads would welcome also.

Stopforumspam integretion and a keyword spam detector would also help

Anti spam measures are a must for me, but even more so: user friendliness. I hate signing up on sites where I spend 15 minutes just to get an account.
Akismet support for existing content, and stopforumspam integration as preventive meassure; would help.

However, dealing with a spammer is easier than I've ever seen before on a forum. I am looking forward slaying some users on my sites with this :D
Registration on this site is a little cumbersome. Would be nice to simply ask for username, email, password, antispam and be done with it. Nothing else really needs to be there.

I believe they only ask for a username, then you enter few details like you say, and you're Done. On this site, DOB and something else is set to be required. You can turn it off in your board. Users can only simplify registration by using facebook connect (and probably OAuth2 and OpenID in the future).

I'd like to keep the product as simple as possible, while still providing a wide range of features that are common to most websites. SEO, of course, is a priority, the ability to have a 2 or 3 column layout (including options to have 2 narrow columns on one side or one on each side), some CMS ability, security features, ability to share video content as easy as pasting an address and an advertising system built in that would allow me to have rotating ads in some locations.

I realize some of these are in development already, but I've only been here for about 20 minutes and I'm excited. So that's my short list.

Jim

These things would seal the deal so much for me I'd probably run out of wax and glue.
  • AJAX Mark Forums/Threads Read Be able to double-click the forum icons to mark a forum as read. I would want the same for threads, but at the moment there's no thread icons to click that would allow this to happen... not sure what would happen for threads, but being able to individually mark them read would be great.
  • Multiquote Reply is fantastic, but being able to reply to more than one post at a time would be awesome.
  • Notification of Replied Post If someone posts after having clicked "Reply" to a post of mine, receiving an Alert about it would be great to draw special attention to it. While I know it may not work all the time (especially if someone copies and pastes it), more often than not someone clicks the Reply link and I would like to get a notification about it.
  • Undo Mark Forum(s) Read I already did this once today, but when I click on the Forums tab (if it's already selected), I accidentally click the "Mark all forums read" link. Maybe it's just me, but where it currently is makes me a little uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind it so much if there was an undo button on the chance of an accidental click that could be easily undone.
As I run around the forums more I'll look into more things (at least trying to avoid what's already been said). For now I think the above are things I'd like to see, if not built-in, at least in add-on form.

Yep... I couldn't see myself shifting without atleast a direct competition to what many of us are now spoilt with, either through vb or IPB, being a cms and blogging (well... suite product). IPB have the gallery, vb need it, xenforo would need to have it to shift license holders. Each one is a lot of dosh for many, several hundred per license, so it needs to compete directly IMHO with those main products direct from xenforo, not a third party hack. I wouldn't pay less, equal or more than the competition to shift unless they existed on par, better product or not.

Be really good to see what this team come up with though in the coming months. Certainly got my future interest already.

From what I have seen the forum itself looks nice from the user side of things. All I want is a CMS, multiple secondary user group icons being able to be displayed, an advanced subscription system able to support people having at least 6 subscriptions at the same time. Have two subscriptions not visible to the general public (would be nice to assign who can use the last two individually) and a store to sell physical items.

Off the top of my head: a CMS, multiquote functionality, and paid subscriptions.

I wouldn't box it in as paid subscriptions. They should build a generic system where you can sell arbitrary "virtual" items and after the users has paid, carry out an arbitrary action such as adding a usergroup, giving them access to a forum, sending an email/download link, setting them up as a "member" to a member's area, etc.

Also there should be a streamlined process so that non-members can click to buy a subscription/item and be automatically registered during that process. They would just have to provide all the same registration info during purchase, but the point would be to streamline the process and not make it seem like you require registration (as a separate process) first.

Top Bottom