Which addons would you require?

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

What would be a showstopper for you during purchase, if you could get a copy -right now-, in regards to add-ons? Compared to other BBS solutions or what you are using right now?

I think the biggest draw would be a xF to WP bridge.

Please do this guys. Just create an amazing wordpress integration and get it over with. Either that or come out with Wordpress built around this forum. People who want to run a blog + forum have nothing now as far as integration. At least with a quality forum software and blog software. I'm not talking about blogs for every user. I am talking about a single blog instance for the administrator to use that integrates with the forum software seamlessly.

Must add: Being able to ignore users. Unlike another software, I'd like to hide the posts completely, not just have a message telling me I've ignored that user so their posts doesn't show up. Ignore them completely when I view a thread, andI can edit the list later in my control panel if I wish.

What would be a showstopper for you during purchase, if you could get a copy -right now-, in regards to add-ons? Compared to other BBS solutions or what you are using right now?

Viral components ... example allow imports of members emails addresses so they can be invited ... same as what made Facebook big.

Oh, one thing that would be huge for me would be if someone could actually figure out how to retain vBulletin user's passwords on a conversion. I know it's hashed and salted and all that, but even if the authentication system was sort of modular and it could simply use the existing vBulletin user salts if needed. I really wouldn't want to tell half a million users... "oh... make a new password." Very unprofessional...

Imagine if Facebook told all users they needed to reset their passwords... and then some users don't have access to the email they registered with, etc... becomes a nightmare.

Oh, one thing that would be huge for me would be if someone could actually figure out how to retain vBulletin user's passwords on a conversion. I know it's hashed and salted and all that, but even if the authentication system was sort of modular and it could simply use the existing vBulletin user salts if needed. I really wouldn't want to tell half a million users... "oh... make a new password." Very unprofessional...

Imagine if Facebook told all users they needed to reset their passwords... and then some users don't have access to the email they registered with, etc... becomes a nightmare.

Nope, new format, but that doesn't matter. the pass will work without having to change it. I will leave it to mike/kier to explain :D

To migrate existing boards the bare minimum I would require would be:

The ability to import my databases, logins being a must have.
A bridge to a CMS but I'd much prefer a unified product.
The ability to skin the entire installation with a uniform look and feel.

Mods/addons are very specific to each installation and I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be immediately available to suit my user's specific requirements. So long as the software has good potential and seamless integration for mods and addons, that's all I would require in the short term.

I'd rather have them build a really good bridge to a good CMS or blog system then develop a CMS from scratch (vB4, I'm looking at you). Unless they're really confident that they can build a good, solid CMS.

You can already see that they have a CMS in mind, though. The navbar is Home > Forums and there's a Home tab at the top of the page.

vBulletin uses md5, but it's like md5(md5(password) .unique_salt); or something ..
so despite md5 can be rainbowtable-checked, you still need the unique salt for that entry.

Anyway, xf probably uses something different as times change, but the convert would be adaptable as mentioned. so i hear.

First ever post here, so exciting!

Now I would buy a license even for the current alpha version for sure! For the stem for conversion of my vB site I would need:

1. A CMS with decent article, review and custom content types. No need of it go as far as say joomla.
2. A Blog system for users
3. A Gallery System, with categories and friendly urls
4. A Downloads/Links System
5. A Plugin/Product system
6. Powerful template engine
7. Spam Management with integration to Akismet/Typepad
8. Decent Permissions System
9. Shoutbox/Chat
10. Ajax Registration with minimal options.
11. Attachment Manangement System
12. Smooth transition from vBSEO urls

And of course a converter from vB!

Top Bottom