Where is 1.1?

Kier's hinted he's working on a mobile style but no official word has been mentioned that it's slated for 1.1. I personally don't foresee it being in 1.1 as their plate already is extremely full, but just an opinion.
but if it is...wouldn't that be a dandy treat? :D

The problem is as a developer, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Say that the next release will be out on a particular day and you run into some last minute problems and miss the date, you're damned.
Say that the next release will be out 'by the end of summer' and people are on your back for the last few months of summer, demanding where it is and then ultimately, debating which hemisphere the developer meant, which month summer ends and even if he meant this year
Don't say anything and people are constantly asking when the next release is out and quickly get annoyed when there's more than 3 weeks between releases. Go more than 2 months and they start thinking the developer's pissed off to the Maldives and the project's been abandoned!

In short, the developer can't win. Whatever he says, it will get thrown back in his face at some point. The only way to hit targets spot on is to aim short for a release, knowing that you've got a spare 2 months development time over what you've said as the release date. Problem is people get annoyed at the lack of new content.

I tell ya, the life of a developer is nothing but stress, stress and people asking 'when's the next version out' - oh, and when's the 'arcade/gallery/blog/cms/* coming'.

* delete as appropriate or add your own pet feature.

All I can say is... I switched VB out to XF whilst XF was in its first beta, and it ran better in beta than VB was as an established and developed product, with far more innovation as a ground breaking product as well.

I'm one very happy customer to wait, considering XF as a team have not failed to nicely surprise me with innovative thinking and implementation, compared to just... "here it is, it works and does the job, but needs more work" type approach seen elsewhere. Do it once, do it right, or get a different job!

If we get one feature, its extraordinary, not just "here's a feature" attitude. I think more people need to leave old mentalities on older forum boards... not bring it to XF.

I think more people need to leave old mentalities on older forum boards... not bring it to XF.

Easier said than done :) It has taken me at least a year to unlearn my vB thought processes. And about the same amount of time to realise that what makes XenForo so good is that it doesn't have the same feature set (bloat) as the other platforms. That really has been the problem, people thinking that XenForo is (or should) be just another version of vB or IPB.

Summer is still going well here in the UK, albeit overcast and wet, which is the normal for a British Summer. However, when Summer is over (as deemed by XenForo) v1.1 shall be released and I suspect that it will cause a major migration of many forums. The things that we know are going to be in v1.1 are exciting but what about the things that we do not know are going to be in v1.1, they surely are more exciting as XenForo have never ceased to surprise with every release. Kier has mentioned that they have incorporated other things into v1.1 which they have not spoken about (search is your friend).

Anyhow, regardless, us Brits know Summer is still in full force and will be for several more weeks, let KAM enjoy their favourite tipple and remember this, the guys are working 7 day weeks, give them a break and let them enjoy life, their families, their favourite tipple (Southern Comfort Kier.... :p).

Personally I will wait, I have waited since XF was released last year and when it is ready, it is ready for me. Nuff sed.

Worth waiting for, trust me :)

Indeed, that was the point of my post, XF (collectively MAK, KAM, MKA etc) have never failed to surprise us. I just wish everyone would layoff and let them get on with it and also remember they are working their arses off, 7 day weeks, lawsuit, their families suffering. When it comes v1.1 will be something that none of us expected.

Top Bottom