1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I send a password reminder to a member?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Stuart Wright, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

In the vBulletin system, I can find a members' profile and send them a password reminder or activation email.
    How do I do that in Xenforo?
  2. oman

oman Well-Known Member

3. Stuart Wright

Thanks. Good old Chris to the rescue. Utterly amazing that this has been omitted from the standard functionality.
    Chris D likes this.
  4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's incredibly simple. Shame we're at RC stage already. It's unlikely @Mike will add it this late in the game.

All of the back end code to make it happen already exists. Simply in the user pre save if that box is checked it performs the same action as if the user themselves initiated the reset.
    Alfa1 likes this.
  5. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

You can also point your end user at the lost password URL: www.yoursite.com/lost-password/ (y)
    wedgar likes this.
  6. Stuart Wright

Thanks all. There are some functions in the core of vBulletin that are obviously lower down the priority list for Mike and Kier but which are absolutely essential for some forums. Post edit history was one. Seeing that was missing from Xenforo stopped dead my plans to migrate in 2010.
    Luckily these days where the core stuff is missing, there are addons to cover.
  7. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

Yesterday I was searching the "send password" link but couldn't find it.

This is not in the core, really really weird to be honest.

@Chris Deeming, thanks for the addon!
    Chris D likes this.
  8. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

being able to send a new Password to an already registered member would be great.

I am using special characters in my Q&A (answer needs contain umlauts) in order to protect my system from spammers.
    Now one of my user who does not have a german keyboard is not able to enter umlauts for the "Security Question Q & A" and I would like to send him a new PAssword via E-mail.
  9. Chris D

10. Nelson T.

Nelson T. Guest

Was "send password reminder" ever added? It is essential.
  11. Chris D

12. Nelson T.

Nelson T. Guest

All it says is "reset password" and then you reset it to something. I want to just send the user their existing password.
  13. Chris D

You can't send their existing password.

You just click the reset password checkbox and click Save Changes. It will generate a new password automatically and send it to them by email.
  14. Nelson T.

Nelson T. Guest

I know Chris. I want you guys to write that into 2.0 "send password reminder to user". Please?
    BamaStangGuy likes this.
  15. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

It has been suggested.
  16. wmtech

wmtech Well-Known Member

I do not see the point in it.

Any member can trigger a password reminder to himself at any time.
    If you want to send a password as the admin to a member, just use the end user feature yourself with the username you want.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Martok likes this.
  17. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Does anywhere these days actually use "password reminders" anyway? Certainly Facebook and Twitter don't, if you forget your password then you click on the forgotten password link and get a reset link emailed to you. If it's expected by users on these sites then surely it should be what's expected on forums.
  18. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Well-Known Member

I agree. There is no system (in theory) that should ever send an existing password out "in the open". It should always be a newly generated, immediately expiring one, so that the user can, for themselves, get back in and recreate whatever (new) password they want to.
    Xon likes this.
  19. Nelson T.

Nelson T. Guest

In theory, yes. My users are old men, for the most part, like me. They need more help with "new things" and they like to keep their old passwords because they cannot remember new ones.
    (Wait till you guys get my age- you will go crazy trying to remember them, and lastpass isn't that good- at least not for me)

So they want their password sent to them. I do too. I did install the add on with the check mark- hope that helps a bit.