Where do I send a password reminder to a member?

Stuart Wright

In the vBulletin system, I can find a members' profile and send them a password reminder or activation email.
How do I do that in Xenforo?

Thanks. Good old Chris to the rescue. Utterly amazing that this has been omitted from the standard functionality.
True.

It's incredibly simple. Shame we're at RC stage already. It's unlikely @Mike will add it this late in the game.

All of the back end code to make it happen already exists. Simply in the user pre save if that box is checked it performs the same action as if the user themselves initiated the reset.

Thanks all. There are some functions in the core of vBulletin that are obviously lower down the priority list for Mike and Kier but which are absolutely essential for some forums. Post edit history was one. Seeing that was missing from Xenforo stopped dead my plans to migrate in 2010.
Luckily these days where the core stuff is missing, there are addons to cover.

being able to send a new Password to an already registered member would be great.

I am using special characters in my Q&A (answer needs contain umlauts) in order to protect my system from spammers.
Now one of my user who does not have a german keyboard is not able to enter umlauts for the "Security Question Q & A" and I would like to send him a new PAssword via E-mail.

All it says is "reset password" and then you reset it to something. I want to just send the user their existing password.

You can't send their existing password.

You just click the reset password checkbox and click Save Changes. It will generate a new password automatically and send it to them by email.

I know Chris. I want you guys to write that into 2.0 "send password reminder to user". Please?

I do not see the point in it.

Any member can trigger a password reminder to himself at any time.
If you want to send a password as the admin to a member, just use the end user feature yourself with the username you want.

Last edited:
Does anywhere these days actually use "password reminders" anyway? Certainly Facebook and Twitter don't, if you forget your password then you click on the forgotten password link and get a reset link emailed to you. If it's expected by users on these sites then surely it should be what's expected on forums.

I agree. There is no system (in theory) that should ever send an existing password out "in the open". It should always be a newly generated, immediately expiring one, so that the user can, for themselves, get back in and recreate whatever (new) password they want to.

Reactions: Xon
In theory, yes. My users are old men, for the most part, like me. They need more help with "new things" and they like to keep their old passwords because they cannot remember new ones.
(Wait till you guys get my age- you will go crazy trying to remember them, and lastpass isn't that good- at least not for me)

So they want their password sent to them. I do too. I did install the add on with the check mark- hope that helps a bit.

Top Bottom