What do you want from a web host? (+ free hosting)

I keep backups in the same DC, just on a different rack.

What happens when the datacenter goes down for days (i.e. fiber cut, natural disaster, etc.) and there are no backups avaiable? Off-site is a must.

What happens when the datacenter goes down for days (i.e. fiber cut, natural disaster, etc.) and there are no backups avaiable? Off-site is a must.

Backups don't disappear because a fiber line was cut. What good is an off-site backup if the server hosting the content is down anyway?

Why would you go live with a site that has content from over a year ago posted by Lorem?

Nobody said it was live, there are no paying customers and I haven't told anyone about it. Dark Wizard has stalked me somewhere and found the link.

That's not really advertising my services.

Really? Then let me quote your full post with content advertising your services as a refresher

Hey everyone.

I am launching my own web hosting business this weekend. My goal is to provide a faster and more feature rich experience than the competition, as well as much better services.
Better speeds start at using the best software. Instead of using the generic PHP/MySQL (often outdated) setup, I will provide an nginx-backed Apache server with MariaDB, Zend OPcache, and memcached.
cPanel will also be ditched for a choice of Plesk or Virtualmin Pro.
What else do you want/expect from a web host?

I intend to offer free services that most web hosts will make you pay for. Website installation, plugin setups, helping with theme issues, nearly everything. I will go the extra 10 miles.

This is my first venture into this business, but I am very confident in my abilities. If you have any protips for me though, let me hear them. Any questions regarding my server setup or my background are welcome too.

Also, I'd like to offer free hosting (for 3-12 months probably) to some members here to get things going. If you are interested, send a PM or respond here.

Thanks for reading. :)

(p.s, it's called hostmelon... juicy! :D)

Hurricane Sandy took out several major datacenters
Backups don't disappear because a fiber line was cut.

What? They don't??? :eek: Yeah...no kidding...

What good is an off-site backup if the server hosting the content is down anyway?

You restore peoples' accounts to servers in other datacenters. If you think putting all your eggs in one basket is a good idea (your only servers in one datacenter, backup in same datacenter, etc.), you're going to be in for a very rude awakening when something happens and a datacenter goes down. We, for example, can have entire servers restored in completely different datacenters within an hour or so. People are not going to be okay with their sites being down for days potentially, because you failed to think things through and come up with an appropriate contingency plan.

Don't think it happens? We lost an entire datacenter during Hurricane Sandy due to flooding. In fact, there were dozens lost in Manhattan and up and down the east coast. We had those clients restored on new servers in a different datacenter in a matter of hours.

Backups don't disappear because a fiber line was cut. What good is an off-site backup if the server hosting the content is down anyway?
Because if they are like me, they have backup providers that can become active with a simple copy of the DB and file structure over to it?

Hurricane Sandy took out several major datacenters

What? They don't??? :eek: Yeah...no kidding...

You restore peoples' accounts to servers in other datacenters. If you think putting all your eggs in one basket is a good idea (your only servers in one datacenter, backup in same datacenter, etc.), you're going to be in for a very rude awakening when something happens and a datacenter goes down. We, for example, can have entire servers restored in completely different datacenters within an hour or so. People are not going to be okay with their sites being down for days potentially, because you failed to think things through and come up with an appropriate contingency plan.

Don't think it happens? We lost an entire datacenter during Hurricane Sandy due to flooding. In fact, there were dozens lost in Manhattan and up and down the east coast. We had those clients restored on new servers in a different datacenter in a matter of hours.

Those risks are extremely low here, nothing like that ever recorded in my country in fact. However, I get your point and will deploy the backup server elsewhere.

I was looking for an alternative, so this has been most informative.

Glad to help, now go nitpick elsewhere.

Those risks are extremely low here, nothing like that ever recorded in my country in fact. However, I get your point and will deploy the backup server elsewhere.
Every country has a type of disaster it is prone to. Earthquakes, typhoons/hurricanes, high winds, flooding, tornadoes (and some of them multiple disasters that can effect it). You plan for the WORST case and hope for the best.

Top Bottom