What's the difference between an article system and a blog system? What do you expect from a blog addon?

S Thomas

I've read a couple of threads (for example this, this, this and that), looked into older XF addons from their descriptions (like Better Blogs, XenBlog / Admin Blog / Article Manager, Bob's AMS, XenPorta), looked into competitor's "blog" solutions like IP.board (well, actually, that was the only one) and since I used WP just a while ago, I have a fairly basic knowledge what a blog or blog system is.

So I'm asking directly: What do you expect from a blog system built around and fully integrated with XF? And if by chance you do have a different vision from an article system, what exactly are those differences?

This is my basic list of functionalities which both an article system and a blog system should have. Since I really don't get the grasp what the difference between both is, they are the same to me.
  • Article Manager (draft, write, delete, publish, sort, tag, modify articles, attachments, links, relations)
  • Writers (permission based stuff for article managing)
    • Comments
  • Promotion aka content discovery
    • e.g. search, widgets, featured sliders, XF native "What's new", related content, auto forum posts
    • linked throughout the whole site, not only within the addon
    • Feeds to social media
  • Portal / Landing page
  • Visibility (permission / group based, multiple / different blogs on the same system)
  • and of course XF native theming, options, etc.
What did I miss? And what does not belong to an article system or a blog system? My short-term goal is to define a solid skeleton for a blog system and in the long-term to decide if it's feasible to build a blog system - either as open or closed source - solely depending on interest and time needed.

Reactions: sbj
Top Bottom