XF 2.2 Welcome to XenForo 2.2 / What's still to come

XenForo Community 2.2.webpWe've spent the last few weeks talking about the new features in XenForo 2.2. Now, it's your first chance to try some of them out and help us put them through their paces. Welcome to XenForo 2.2! 👋

As you may notice, we have started converting some of our forums to more specific forum types. We've also enabled all general discussion thread types in the testing forum.

What's still to come

While our previous "have you seen" threads have announced most of what's coming in XenForo 2.2, we haven't touched on our official add-ons. There are improvements coming to each of them (beyond getting support for changes we already announced in 2.2), but we're not quite ready to announce these changes yet. Until we do, what you see running here is essentially the same as the 2.1-based version of our add-ons.

Beyond the add-ons, we still have a few more improvements to XenForo 2.2 itself that are still in the oven right now. These include improvements based on feedback we've received from the previous have you seens and some improvements to things we haven't touched on yet.

Keep your eyes peeled! (Disclaimer: please do not actually peel your eyes.)

Next steps

We're now starting the first steps towards releasing XenForo 2.2 by testing it here. So please, if you notice any bugs or problems, report them to us.

Once we finish off the changes we still have in the pipeline and are happy with the stability of 2.2, the first beta will be released to all customers with active licenses. Beta versions are not officially supported and we don't recommend running them on production installs. This is an opportunity for people to test and for resource authors to make the necessary changes to support the new version. From there, we'll continue releasing beta versions until we're ready to move onto the release candidate stage, which essentially means that we believe the version is close to being an officially supported release (but it's not yet!). Finally, and only once we've gone through each of these stages, XenForo 2.2.0 will be released as an officially supported/recommended release... and we can all celebrate!

But in the meantime, we still have work to do! 💪

Nice work on the upgrade XenForo team.

As far as the discussion for the editor... if you don't like it, change it. XenForo is by far the easiest to customize with little dev experience. Is the new look exactly what I want? No. But I know there are options we can set for a different appearance, and I can get deep into styling if I really want to make a change.

The bottom line, this is an overall improvement that advances XenForo forward. You can definitely modify the theme for your forum's specific design and needs. I actually want to think about allowing each user to customize their button set, but that is something I will be looking into building on my own.

Well the editor is still a bit buggy which doesn't help the experience.

For editor buttons layout, can you add option in ACP to quickly return back to old style? Something like having two buttons, one quickly returns to old style and one for using new style. Please...

Where did the down vote go? I just checked the suggestions forum and it has been removed, so no negative votes? Doesn't that take away from an up vote/down vote system that is standard across the web?
Upvote-downvote systems belong in the trash can.

Yes, I have very good reasons for saying that. But, having said that, I don't blame XF at all for implementing the option for such a system into the software.

This is the reply i am posting without registering a account first. its nice to allow peoples to type in reply, lets see the functionality of what happens when i click reply, surely will get new account.

Thanks God xF doesn't build cars, otherwise blinking "turning left" indicator would actually mean "I'm turning right" if the indicator was already used before.
With such statements you do not have to ask yourself why you are not understood or misunderstood.

Imho, an up and down vote system should only be for pros or cons, for something or against, nothing more.
A "like" system can express many things, including pros or cons.
Therefore, the system should not convert likes into up or downvotes by default. Here in the XF Forum this is applicable and correct for the "Suggestions". But not everywhere But not everywhere in every forum.

I still have to explain to some users today that Like is not just like, but that there are other possibilities behind. ;)

Last edited:
I still have to explain to some users today that Like is not just like, but that there are other possibilities behind. ;)
As long as I can turn off those "inventions" where I'll have to explain to users that like is not like, up is not up, and left is not left, I don't really care about it. ;)

As long as I can turn of those "inventions" where I'll have to explain to users that like is not like, up is not up, and left is not left, I don't really care about it. ;)
Now i got your point, like how the buttons have icon and text for like, quote, reply. Having a text like Vote Up for ^ at above and Vote Down for v at bottom will make it more user-friendly and understandable.

This can be achieved with custom mod or having same in core will be more helpful, because on mobile it makes difficult to understand its use.

Screenshot_20200625-134839.webp

But considering users will explore functions on their own, will make them more habitual to it.

Last edited:
IOS users have various issues with the editor in the current production version of Xenforo, and I had to put a bit of code to disable the rich text editor as a default when an IOS user is detected. (backspacing makes cursor jump around, etc)

Has anyone with an IOS based device (Iphone, Ipad) tried out the new editor and is that issue all fixed?

I don't have any Apple devices to test it, but 26% or so of mobile users do, so we need to get that right.

If fixed, that is excellent!

Unfortunately there are still some outstanding issues, but anecdotally me (as an iPhone user) finds it somewhat better in a few ways.

Worth noting that I'm quite a heavy iPhone user and despite its faults I'd much rather use the editor and get used to its quirks than just have it disabled.

Your users can disable the editor themselves if they wish by clicking the cog icon on the editor in XF 2.1 so it doesn't need to be done for them.

They had too many complaints, so i turned it off for them by default and explained how they can turn it back on individually.

Thank you for the update. Everything is looking good so far!

Top Bottom