XF 2.2 Welcome to XenForo 2.2 / What's still to come

XenForo Community 2.2.webpWe've spent the last few weeks talking about the new features in XenForo 2.2. Now, it's your first chance to try some of them out and help us put them through their paces. Welcome to XenForo 2.2! šŸ‘‹

As you may notice, we have started converting some of our forums to more specific forum types. We've also enabled all general discussion thread types in the testing forum.

What's still to come

While our previous "have you seen" threads have announced most of what's coming in XenForo 2.2, we haven't touched on our official add-ons. There are improvements coming to each of them (beyond getting support for changes we already announced in 2.2), but we're not quite ready to announce these changes yet. Until we do, what you see running here is essentially the same as the 2.1-based version of our add-ons.

Beyond the add-ons, we still have a few more improvements to XenForo 2.2 itself that are still in the oven right now. These include improvements based on feedback we've received from the previous have you seens and some improvements to things we haven't touched on yet.

Keep your eyes peeled! (Disclaimer: please do not actually peel your eyes.)

Next steps

We're now starting the first steps towards releasing XenForo 2.2 by testing it here. So please, if you notice any bugs or problems, report them to us.

Once we finish off the changes we still have in the pipeline and are happy with the stability of 2.2, the first beta will be released to all customers with active licenses. Beta versions are not officially supported and we don't recommend running them on production installs. This is an opportunity for people to test and for resource authors to make the necessary changes to support the new version. From there, we'll continue releasing beta versions until we're ready to move onto the release candidate stage, which essentially means that we believe the version is close to being an officially supported release (but it's not yet!). Finally, and only once we've gone through each of these stages, XenForo 2.2.0 will be released as an officially supported/recommended release... and we can all celebrate!

But in the meantime, we still have work to do! šŸ’Ŗ

I've only got one: I don't want to have to go hunting for the BB Code toggle. But I'm assuming I can easily move it to a prominent spot.
You won't. The BB codes system is applied in unision with what you clicked. For example. Bold? All you need to do is highlight the text on the editor, press "bold" and it just goes. I forsee not having to go into advanced anymore after this update.

My only gripe with the editor is that pressing enter carries your previous edit into the new line. So if you clicked strikeout for the top line, and you pressed "enter" the strikeout is there in the new line.

I forsee not having to go into advanced anymore after this update.
In my case, I use a whole bevy of BB Codes for inserting Amazon and iTunes purchase links and cover art into "articles" that are currently placed in the Resource Manager (which is being used solely for that purpose ā€” articles). There is really no way for anyone on my site to populate these entries without toggling the BB Code view. Well, unless I had someone throw together a custom add-on button for the editor (beyond my abilities) that pops open a dialog box that accepts a good nine (9) separate pieces of data and then combines that into a single inserted bunch of BB Coded text.

Last edited:
In my case, I use a whole bevy of BB Codes for inserting Amazon and iTunes purchase links and cover art into "articles" that are currently placed in the Resource Manager (which is being used solely for that purpose ā€” articles). There is really no way for anyone on my site to populate these entries without toggling the BB Code view.
Well, in that case... your currently edited BB Codes will be moved into the 3rd "tab" group. Unless you fix it in ACP, as detailed by Kier. You can edit it the way YOU want.

That gear icon is movable.

It actually looks so so so much better without it being centered! Great feedback and even greater response time from the XF team. (they already have it implemented here, go look at the first page of this article).

Nice work on the upgrade XenForo team.

As far as the discussion for the editor... if you don't like it, change it. XenForo is by far the easiest to customize with little dev experience. Is the new look exactly what I want? No. But I know there are options we can set for a different appearance, and I can get deep into styling if I really want to make a change.

The bottom line, this is an overall improvement that advances XenForo forward. You can definitely modify the theme for your forum's specific design and needs. I actually want to think about allowing each user to customize their button set, but that is something I will be looking into building on my own.

But you only can make one downvote per suggestion. So I can't see this having any impact.
Yes, but the two hundred people who all think it would be a waste of time to develop a cms, or an account self-delete option (me), or whatever, would also apply a downvote. Plus, I've had the vote option before, via addon, and from my experience some people will down-vote stuff for no good reason that you can possibly think of - you know, like you see with a gazillion videos on Youtube, even if it's just someone basically saying something that you would think everyone could agree with, like we should all try to live in peace and love our fellow man - and for that reason I disabled down-voting myself. Don't want the negativity.

Ooooooh...

1593031737741.webp

I've never installed a community before. šŸ˜

I just tried it in Chrome on Win10. My custom theme from @ThemeHouse is probably going to need some major surgery before we'll upgrade. Which is OK, since so far the "installed" version is definitely doing things differently than the way I was creating a forum in its own chromeless window. I'm going to poke around XF 2.2 a bit more once I've finished up everything else for the night. Very interesting indeed!

Sometimes when I enter the forum I encounter this error

You appear to have lost connection to the internet. Check your connection and then reload the page.

At this stage, I do not know how accurate it would be to evaluate the developments without seeing them fully. As with any system, new developments find solutions in line with the demands over time. It will take time for most users to change some of their established habits. In this process, approaching the developments in good faith will yield more positive results.

With XenForo 2.2 version, I evaluate the future of more beautiful, functional structures. I wish you success in your work. I hope it will be good for all XenForo lovers. ;)

Top Bottom