Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest 3.5

No permission to download
I'm also not sure about that... I'm getting lots of emails from companies that I need to opt-in for their newsletters, otherwise, they will remove me from the list.

I have a pretty good handle on GDPR now as I have had to update two of my sites, one which has xenforo. I have an email list with mailchimp on both.

However, I am not confident around the issue of what to do about existing xenforo users when it comes to op-in to emails. I'm going to assume that when I forced them to re-read the Privacy Policy, that they accepted and this issue would be covered under, "We may use your email address to inform you of activity on our site."

However, if that covers that aspect, what about users who are not logging in and not accepting the terms? They will still get emails unless they manually unsubscribe to things.

Did the original privacy policy have that statement? "We may use your email address to inform you of activity on our site?" I didn't check. (I was using the default policy when I installed xenforo 1.5x.) And is that enough to comply with GDPR? If there was a check / audit done, would there be enough evidence in the record of each user to show they agreed to this?

That is a good part:

Q: Are emails sent to inactive members?
A: No. Members which have been inactive more than 30 days will not receive an email.

That covers this addon (well, 30 days may still mean you are not meeting the requirements though), but what about standard email alerts in xenforo? We can set the defaults to off (but should we?), then there are existing users getting various email alerts based on varying settings. (I know, out of context with this addon/thread)

@AndyB and everyone else using this addon.
This is a great addon and it definitely works to get me to return to other forums using it,
However, I have been working on the best way to implement GDPR, and this addon, sadly, has to be disabled.
Unless people specifically opt in to the mailings, with a clear explanation of what they will be getting, we are breaking GDPR by sending them the digest.
On install, as I understand it, all users who receive emails from admin, are eligible to get the digest?
And they have to unsubscribe using the option linked to in the footer? (Which has never worked on our site because we have heavily modified the footer and broken the template modification).

I've used Sendy to send out 330,000 emails last week to get people to reconsent to newsletters.
Those who have reconsented have been put into a new subscribers user group. People who tick a Newsletter Subscriptions custom field are put into the user group.
Unfortunately this addon can't be used to only mail people in specific user groups.
Otherwise, we could use it. Although I'd want to create a new custom user field for opt ins to the weekly digest emails, and only those users be emailed.

Bloody GDPR. Be careful, folks.

@Stuart Wright - when people opt into receiving admin email about site news, that should cover it, no? I think the weekly digest is a form of site news.
Can someone confirm if this field upon registration is connected into subscribing the user to Andy's newsletter? As if they don't tick this, they can still register and if it's not linked, then emails will be sent out from the newsletter anyway.

@AndyB and everyone else using this addon.
This is a great addon and it definitely works to get me to return to other forums using it,
However, I have been working on the best way to implement GDPR, and this addon, sadly, has to be disabled.
Unless people specifically opt in to the mailings, with a clear explanation of what they will be getting, we are breaking GDPR by sending them the digest.
On install, as I understand it, all users who receive emails from admin, are eligible to get the digest?
And they have to unsubscribe using the option linked to in the footer? (Which has never worked on our site because we have heavily modified the footer and broken the template modification).

I've used Sendy to send out 330,000 emails last week to get people to reconsent to newsletters.
Those who have reconsented have been put into a new subscribers user group. People who tick a Newsletter Subscriptions custom field are put into the user group.
Unfortunately this addon can't be used to only mail people in specific user groups.
Otherwise, we could use it. Although I'd want to create a new custom user field for opt ins to the weekly digest emails, and only those users be emailed.

Bloody GDPR. Be careful, folks.

or what? GDPR is going to fine me $8 billion dollars like they did with facebook and google? GDPR is all about money, intimidation, power, and control of the top tech companies, and you will never hear from GDPR unless you feel that you fit into the same class as google/facebook, etc....
GDPR Fear is a powerful motivator for sure if you give them the power in your mind. GDPR can fine me all day, and it won't get them 4B dollars.

The emails being sent out by this add-on are causing Google to temporarily block my other emails (forum notifications) to gmail accounts on the basis that my IP has been sending spam. I assume it's because the emails are being sent via LOCALHOSTRELAY.

How do I change the email transport method for these emails?

It should follow your settings for all forum email:

AdminCP >> Home >> Options >> Email

Change your settings to use SMTP.

Hey @AndyB, is this still supported?

When I have this installed alongside my email bounce configuration they conflict and neither work.

Has this been resolved before?

Thank you.

The emails being sent out by this add-on are causing Google to temporarily block my other emails (forum notifications) to gmail accounts on the basis that my IP has been sending spam. I assume it's because the emails are being sent via LOCALHOSTRELAY.

How do I change the email transport method for these emails?
Also, it's probably not this add-on or any other add-on, especially if other email from your forum is also getting sent to spam.

All forum newsletters, regardless of the platform, get flagged as potential spam by most email providers. Basically, I think this is because the bulk of a forum newsletter is usually a list of links. This is picked up by the email service as a flag for spam.

Even from my own server and my own forums, this happens periodically. Then I go through the steps for listing it as "safe", "not spam", etc., and they start coming through for a while. But as my server software software is updated and my own OS software is updated and my email client is updated, every now and then I have to go through the process again.

Gmail in particular has become more aggressive in filtering mail it thinks might be spam over the past 4-6 months.

All you can do is ensure that your email server has the DKIM and SPF enabled; increasingly, Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance (DMARC) is becoming more necessary although many servers do not yet have this installed or activated. Tell your members to whitelist your email address and/or add it to their address books - that will help but won't eliminate the problem. And ask your host to check whether DKIM, SPF, and DMARC are enabled.

If you're on shared hosting, or a VPS, it may well be that other customers on that physical server are causing the problem, depending on how your host has configured the system. And sometimes it can be an entire hosting company with lax policies or lax enforcement of policies: This has happened many times over the years with many cheap shared hosting services.

Preventing mass email from getting sent to spam is an ongoing battle for anyone.

Update: I've been advised of another step you can take...

The best thing to do to prevent Gmail from considering your email as spam is to register your domain with them:

Bulk senders guidelines:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126?hl=en

To notify Gmail postmaster:

https://support.google.com/mail/contact/bulk_send

Last edited:
Andy I’d like to fix how the links look in my weekly digest. The first 2/3 of the links have no styling. The last 1/3 are blue underlined links. Why don’t they all look the same?

Top Bottom