Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest 3.5

No permission to download
Feature request:

What would be useful is the option to change this from most popular threads to X latest threads where X is an adjustable option.

Can we restrict via usergroup? I have member who were banned by warning and sent to a banned usergroup still getting emails and then getting back at me by marking the emails as spam. This applies to inactive email addon too.

Feature request:

What would be useful is the option to change this from most popular threads to X latest threads where X is an adjustable option.

Bumping this.

Is there a way I can modify this to include the latest 25 new or updated threads rather than the most popular?

Bumping this.

Is there a way I can modify this to include the latest 25 new or updated threads rather than the most popular?

Answering my own question, yes but not with this add-on.

Instead, use https://xenforo.com/community/resources/inactive-members.2916/

Just set
Code:
Minimum Days = 0

Email will be sent if inactive greater than or equal to this many days.

Then it will be sent to everyone who hasn't opted out and you can set the number of topics to whatever you want.

Had a strange issue with this addon over the weekend.

I run this on about 9 forums, all on the same server but different times. Never had any issues. Out of the blue, this weekend one of the sites inserted the wrong domain name into the URLs to the threads. The domain isn't even one we own but DNS has it pointed to my server.
Yes, I know seems crazy.

I dug into it for about an hour, reviewed any changes that may have occurred over the week, compared configs with other sites and couldn't find anything. So I ran a test sending to just my account and it was fine now.

Any ideas?

C.

AndyB updated Weekly Digest with a new update entry:

See description

On Jan 1, 2016 version 2.1 of this add-on was released to address an exploitable SQL injection vulnerability. If you are still using a version of this add-on which is below 2.1 or released before Jan 1, 2016 then it is essential that you update to the latest version of the add-on as soon as possible to fix this security issue. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Does this addon respect the email setting below?

1514880970058.webp

I'm seeing this addon sending mails to members who haven't visited a since in several years. This is a great way to get emails / IPs black listed.

Last edited:
Does this addon respect the email setting below?

View attachment 165543

I'm seeing this addon sending mails to members who haven't visited a since in several years. This is a great way to get emails black listed.

For 1.5 or 2.0? The messages also do not show by default in 2.0 who the messages were sent to in the message body, so when AOL users report the messages as spam, there is no way to know who is reporting it when you get. Feedback loop message from AOL. https://postmaster.aol.com/fbl-request

In 1.5 this the user it was sent to was, added and I started seeing a lot of spam complaints from older users and then for some odd reason, removed this option in 2.0 and Andy started debating about why it didn't matter and nobody else had a problem so it didn't matter.

Anyway, we still use 1.5x and since Andy added who the messages were sent to, I was able to weed out NUMEROUS users who were reporting messages as spam, some of which had not visited the site since 2005, but it did not occur to me until now, that these users should not be getting emails to begin with!

On another note, it's too bad he removed that from the 2.0 version, pretty clear that email administration is not taken seriously. P.S. expect to get private messages instead lf a reply here from the plugin creator. Lol

Actually, this was the Inactive Members addon sending these emails (looking back for inactive members over 5,000 days!), not the Weekly Digest :X3::coffee:

Last edited:
Do you all feel that this addon selects adequate threads for the digests? How does it value the "most active" threads? With a factor messages/views or similar? So a thread with 3 messages but say 60 views could be more active, than a thread with 3,000 messages (1,000 new in the last week) and 50,000 views?

AndyB said:
Threads are selected by most viewed.

I had several threads listed in the digests in the last weeks where I thought "hey, there are much more active threads then those you chose, digest". I'm not complaining, but try to understand, how the threads are chosen.

Anyone else have an issue with the CSS in the email? I noticed that the link color for the thread is inconsistent - the first 21 thread links are black with no underline, the last 4 are blue with underline. Not sure why they don't all look the same. It happens in every email digest for the site.

Anyone else have an issue with the CSS in the email? I noticed that the link color for the thread is inconsistent - the first 21 thread links are black with no underline, the last 4 are blue with underline. Not sure why they don't all look the same. It happens in every email digest for the site.

same here

Working fine for me - no issues at all.

I use Microsoft Outlook (the office version).

What email client are you guys using?

Anyone concerned that unless we get explicit opt in permission to continue sending this email, that we will have to stop?

If concerned, you should probably go though a process of reconfirming consent for all the various new things (isn't that functionality available in the new GDPR-friendly XF releases?) - and also the "Receive site mailings" option, at which point you would be fine to send these emails to anyone still opting to receive them.

Top Bottom