Very very very bad editor design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be misunderstood, I love the new editor! It is the color- and gradient-scheme that differs from the design xenforo.com have, and I just want more consistency. That's all :)

Not to be misunderstood, I love the new editor! It is the color- and gradient-scheme that differs from the design xenforo.com have, and I just want more consistency. That's all :)

Honestly what does it matter what it looks like on the default xenforo theme as most people I would say in the 85% range don't even use the default theme on their sites. If the developers want it looking like it does (which I personally like a million times better than TinyMCE) then that is their call. It's their software, their site, so ultimately it's their call. It's pretty bad (this is a "good" thing) that pretty much the only thing people have to gripe about in 1.2 is the color scheme of the new editor. It says alot about how solid the feature base is. But in all seriousness since this new editor will be easy to change the look of then most people will take the time to skin it too. So no matter what it's not going to look like what it does here. So let's all just take a chill pill and find something that actually matters to complain about........(y)

It may be the case that the devs are currently too busy fixing bugs and working on fine-tuning the new features of 1.2 to worry about this, rather minor problem; they may come back to it and review the feedback later on when they have sorted other things out. (y)

I'm sure they are aware of the feedback, but it's likely to be a very low priority at the moment. :p

Last edited:
That suggests that it is a problem. It isn't.

There's very few vocal people complaining about how it looks which is a tiny subset of the people who will be actually using the editor (your members). And most of the people currently complaining are doing so without any respect for the fact that plenty of people actually like it. Finally the most laughable thing is, most of these people already had an editor that didn't match the default theme, they don't use the default theme themselves and for their own forums they can adjust how it looks just like with any other element.

I don't see why people won't just drop it. It's the most ridiculous debacle I've seen. Since the last one, anyway.

That suggests that it is a problem. It isn't.

There's very few vocal people complaining about how it looks which is a tiny subset of the people who will be actually using the editor (your members). And most of the people currently complaining are doing so without any respect for the fact that plenty of people actually like it. Finally the most laughable thing is, most of these people already had an editor that didn't match the default theme, they don't use the default theme themselves and for their own forums they can adjust how it looks just like with any other element.

I don't see why people won't just drop it. It's the most ridiculous debacle I've seen. Since the last one, anyway.

I pretty much said the exact same thing.........

Honestly what does it matter what it looks like on the default xenforo theme as most people I would say in the 85% range don't even use the default theme on their sites. If the developers want it looking like it does (which I personally like a million times better than TinyMCE) then that is their call. It's their software, their site, so ultimately it's their call. It's pretty bad (this is a "good" thing) that pretty much the only thing people have to gripe about in 1.2 is the color scheme of the new editor. It says alot about how solid the feature base is. But in all seriousness since this new editor will be easy to change the look of then most people will take the time to skin it too. So no matter what it's not going to look like what it does here. So let's all just take a chill pill and find something that actually matters to complain about........(y)
Sorry that I misunderstood the purpose of this discussion forum. I was thinking that it was the right place to air any thoughts one might have regarding the software. I didn't know it was forbidden to have constructive critisism against Xenforo.

Ok then. Let's praise everything and everyone and god forbid if anyone have something else to say!

There's no problem providing criticism.

But people are just repeating the same stuff over and over again and it's not constructive. It's unlikely to change and the focus needs to be how it looks on your own boards. And luckily you can style that.

What more is there to say?

Quite honestly I couldn't care less what it looks like, I'm going to restyle it anyway.

The same as how I couldn't care less what the overall default style looks like (which I think is fugly) - I just created my own.

There's nothing to say that it's unlikely to change. However, I reiterate the point about focused criticism, explaining what you don't like. Some people have done that so it gives us something to work with.

Conversely, it is personal preference so there's no guarantee that you're going to like it. I also reiterate that a number of people disliked the editor looks in 1.1. The editor won't look like it did in 1.1. It's very unlikely that the default editor will ship with colored icons. Even if we had stuck with TinyMCE (4), it'd be the same.

But will things change? Possibly. As we said, this is really like a late alpha/early beta so things are changing 10-15 times a day. We have more important things to focus on right now, though generally the bugs are slowing down. If you don't like the final version, just like anything else in XF, then you have the power to modify it if you desire.

There's nothing to say that it's unlikely to change. However, I reiterate the point about focused criticism, explaining what you don't like. Some people have done that so it gives us something to work with.

Conversely, it is personal preference so there's no guarantee that you're going to like it. I also reiterate that a number of people disliked the editor looks in 1.1. The editor won't look like it did in 1.1. It's very unlikely that the default editor will ship with colored icons. Even if we had stuck with TinyMCE (4), it'd be the same.

But will things change? Possibly. As we said, this is really like a late alpha/early beta so things are changing 10-15 times a day. We have more important things to focus on right now, though generally the bugs are slowing down. If you don't like the final version, just like anything else in XF, then you have the power to modify it if you desire.

Thanks Mike :) my thoughts exactly. As a customer I aired some thoughts, now it is up to the devs if it will be changed or not.

Sorry that I misunderstood the purpose of this discussion forum. I was thinking that it was the right place to air any thoughts one might have regarding the software. I didn't know it was forbidden to have constructive critisism against Xenforo.

Ok then. Let's praise everything and everyone and god forbid if anyone have something else to say!

I never said people couldn't criticize what things look like. The point was this has been beat to death and most likely will not change. It's the way the devs want it or close to the way they want it. Thankfully if you don't like it you have the option to change it unlike the old editor that required a lot more work.

I never said people couldn't criticize what things look like. The point was this has been beat to death and most likely will not change. It's the way the devs want it or close to the way they want it. Thankfully if you don't like it you have the option to change it unlike the old editor that required a lot more work.
I must admit that I didn't read through all the pages here until my first posting about this, and instead of making another thread about it I thought it would be ok here. People are getting tired of this, I understand that, but by not telling the devs our thoughts they will have a harder time making the software as good as it can be. And they listen, luckily :) if its not changed this time around, no worries, if they do, very good.

By the way, you proclaim that it will 'most likely not change'. Mike two posts before just said 'But will things change? Possibly.' ;)

Ill change the look when I get 1.2

I'm getting used to the look more but when I first saw it I was a bit thrown off.

I don't have a problem with the look of the editor. Yes, it may look a bit bland to some people because it is lacking in colour but from what has been said, it sounds easy enough to change stuff in CSS (I did this with Chrome Inspect element and that was no problem) and to replace buttons with your own creations (and I'm sure we'll get a bunch of designers sharing their creations in the Resources Manager).

For me, I'm more concerned that we'll get a custom BBCode and buttons manager add-on fairly soon after it is released so we can easily add back what we are using with the current editor. :)

For me, I'm more concerned that we'll get a custom BBCode and buttons manager add-on fairly soon after it is released so we can easily add back what we are using with the current editor. :)
The editor doesn't have any influence of the Bb Codes. The only thing to check is the... I forgot the name... "bbcode tree cache" or something like this that has been implemented.

The editor doesn't have any influence of the Bb Codes. The only thing to check is the... I forgot the name... "bbcode tree cache" or something like this that has been implemented.

Are you saying that your BBCodes and Buttons manager will work with the new Editor? If not, will you be updating it/creating a new one?

BTW you might want to change your sig, we can now edit our posts. :)

Are you saying that your BBCodes and Buttons manager will work with the new Editor?
That's not really the topic. To answer you quicky: the bbcodes part yes, the buttons manager no. There will be an update soon to support mce4 with new functions. Unfortunately it will drop the support of mce3. It is too difficult to support multi editors. For the XenForo branch of Redactor, there are actually one line of buttons. So editing directly the template should not be a problem if the button configuration is moved to the JavaScript template to initiate the editor. If you want to know more, please go to the addon thread.

we can now edit our posts.
Nope (not old ones), but that's not the topic either ^^

Thanks Mike I realy appreciate your attention on this and I do have something new to add.
a number of people disliked the editor looks in 1.1.
Yes that is tue. @Brogan and some others have been saying they are puzzled because the old editor was not so attractive either. But it is no logic to say the old one was rubbish so why bother improving. 1.2 is all about improvement.

We have two groups of opinion.
Quite honestly I couldn't care less what it looks like, I'm going to restyle it anyway.
Which makes it odd that these people keep arguing and blocking attempts to request a better design - they don't care, it makes no difference to them so it's odd they are getting in the way.
But anyway these kinds of admins are happy. They either don't mind the new look or they'll willingly and capably handle new designs.

That leaves the other lot who HATE it. What about them?
Because
IMPORTANT it's NOT just about what we design on our boards. It's about an awful lot of time we give to THIS board. We contribute a lot here eg looking after newcomers and encouraging them to buy a product we know is good.
Shouldn't we have an interface HERE that makes US happy while we do that? Plus helping to circulate which addon is good for what purpose, addon support, design mutual support - and a lot else makes the XF community what it is.

Thirdly THIS board is the big demo of XF. Surely leaving a feature in an undesigned state, is a bad first impression? The editor is going to be the one of the first features most newcomers use.
Granted it's all about the designability - which I'm personally looking forward to on my boards.
But many newcomers use default XF for quite a while. They are jsut too busy with administration to do much design at first. A standard package is my logo, my colour on navbars, my colour background, and maybe the registration button. The rest stays default. This unfinished look on the editor is loading the new admin with another job - many above have airily dismissed the problem by saying admins should just restyle it. But new admins still find styling a daunting job - XF is a lot simpler, but that's not the same as simple.
Go fix it yourself they say. Funny, we don't say that about ANY other feature. Generally XF takes care that its design units are at least pleasant for most users.

For those who are not happy @Garamond has summarised excellently why THIS editor is worse than the previous one:
some important differences
# The grey color is not the same, the old editor was a warmer tone which makes it far more compatible to the overall default theme. The new one is just colder and out-of-sync with the default theme.
# The new editor suddenly introduces two opposite gradients which makes it appear noisier
# The old editor has some color icons which makes it easier to find what you need
The larger icons due to responsive design also make the cold grey more prominent.
It's very unlikely that the default editor will ship with colored icons. Even if we had stuck with TinyMCE (4), it'd be the same.
OK shame, but please note the other two issues.
Also I suggested using a background blue from the default Palette. I chose the wrong one. Many others have said the blue on breadcrumbs and Likes bars is the one.

But will things change? Possibly. As we said, this is really like a late alpha/early beta so things are changing 10-15 times a day. We have more important things to focus on right now, though generally the bugs are slowing down.
Let's just hope the one small change of the breadcrumb blue from the Palette can be made default - a few seconds code switch. Not sure if the gradient conflict is more than that; I imagine no big deal to ou wizard KM coders.
Let's protect the XF tradition of a pleasant, FRIENDLY design. It may not excite, but it certainly soothes and encourages. The current editor is out of step with that.

Please change the title on this thread. I think alot of the heat comes from its exaggeration.
Incomplete editor design?
Flexible but incomplete editor design - does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom