Very very very bad editor design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the current design is much more friendly and appealing than TinyMCE. I still cannot find one reason that this cannot be the default look.

Personally, I enjoy using this editor more than the previous one and admittedly though the initial reaction on the coloring was one of dislike, it has grown on me.

Quite honestly I couldn't care less what it looks like, I'm going to restyle it anyway.
That's like me coming into a developer thread proclaiming I couldn't care less about how things are coded since they can be recoded anyway. I'm a designer and I care about how things look, and I let the ones who can code take care of that part.

I think the current design is much more friendly and appealing than TinyMCE. I still cannot find one reason that this cannot be the default look.
Nice, and I cannot find one reason it can ;) there we go, agreeing on our opposite views :)

Which makes it odd that these people keep arguing and blocking attempts to request a better design - they don't care, it makes no difference to them so it's odd they are getting in the way.
But anyway these kinds of admins are happy. They either don't mind the new look or they'll willingly and capably handle new designs.
I also said I like the design as it stands.
It just won't suit my site as it is.

That leaves the other lot who HATE it. What about them?
I would HATE IT if it was changed.
What about me?
I use this site a lot more than you do so surely my opinion carries more weight as a percentage of usage?

See what I did there?

Please change the title on this thread. I think alot of the heat comes from its exaggeration.
Incomplete editor design?
Flexible but incomplete editor design - does it matter?

It's not an incomplete design. There's no need to change the title. In your opinion it's incomplete but the design is designed the way it was by the author (whoever that is) with the intention to keep it minimalistic.

Your proposed title change would indicate that xenforo implements partially, which is not the case. Where the title as it stands now is someone's opinion with no reasons why they dislike it.

I would HATE IT if it was changed.
Quite honestly I couldn't care less what it looks like, I'm going to restyle it anyway.
????

I use this site a lot more than you do so surely my opinion carries more weight as a percentage of usage?
Dangerous ground. I think it's a tricky wicket to claim XF should be designed by the preferences of its moderators. Some users are more active than moderators at times. Some addon devs too in terms of hours.
How the hell KAM decide the balance I don't know. Demonic algebra I expect. Some software analysis on Likes and alot of good sense intuitively weighing up various other elements.

I've got no idea where all the flack comes from - if the new editor had colour icons (which I'm sure there will be an add-on for as soon as it is released) then it would be extremely similar in appearance.

No doubt there will be a style properties page for the editor where people can change the rest of the colours with just a couple of clicks... problem solved. That's what CSS is for.

wow, this editor keeps information in an un-submited post... even if you close the browser and come back to the same post later (or even open a new browser)

That's a cool feature, the temp save must be saved in the user session? So even if your browser/computer crashed mid flow of writting a post, you still have most of the content
Does it do this for every unsubmited post... that could build up (or just your last)?

What did the editor look like in the first version of Xenforo, since the one in 1.1 was changed? I don't even remember...

Dangerous ground. I think it's a tricky wicket to claim XF should be designed by the preferences of its moderators. Some users are more active than moderators at times. Some addon devs too in terms of hours.

Where does he say they listen to the whims of their moderators and design it around what they want? You talked about how much time you spend here helping out and that it should be designed to make YOU happy as you do it. Brogan commented that he spends more time on here, so why should the editor be designed to make you happy when he needs to help out?

What did the editor look like in the first version of Xenforo, since the one in 1.1 was changed? I don't even remember...

Create a new style. The editor didn't change between v1.0 and v1.1. You could also run a test install of any version.

Personally I am not a fan of colored editor icons, gray fits well with "most" colours and for those it does not, it can be easily styled.

Making it x colour by default would entail more work for the average admin to bring it inline with their style (example blue would only be useful for those with blue sites). where gray pretty much doesn't look too bad with any style.

Where does he say they listen to the whims of their moderators and design it around what they want? You talked about how much time you spend here helping out and that it should be designed to make YOU happy as you do it. Brogan commented that he spends more time on here, so why should the editor be designed to make you happy when he needs to help out?

Create a new style. The editor didn't change between v1.0 and v1.1. You could also run a test install of any version.

This:
View attachment 48196

As @King Kovifor said, it has never changed from the very first release.
I was going off of this quote
Of course, keep in mind that various people complained about how the editor looked in 1.1 so there will always be personal preferences.
I thought he meant there was a change between the versions before 1.1

It's an improvement over the first one. But I think the gradients and borders don't have to be as dominant. So there is room for improvement, but I like the other design aspects of it.

Someone once posted a mockup of a custom editor design somewhere here which I liked and it fitted very well with the XF design, but I forgot where. I believe it was just a simple row of buttons above a rounded text field.

The OP has a point even though he communicated it slightly harsh.

It's an improvement over the first one. But I think the gradients and borders don't have to be as dominant. So there is room for improvement, but I like the other design aspects of it.

Someone once posted a mockup of a custom editor design somewhere here which I liked and it fitted very well with the XF design, but I forgot where. I believe it was just a simple row of buttons above a rounded text field.

The OP has a point even though he communicated it slightly harsh.

Isn't that what dark immortal's add on did?

Isn't that what dark immortal's add on did?

Yes that's the one

ywve.png

This fits the overall design much better IMO, and it keeps quick reply 'quick and simple' as I believe it ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom