Very very very bad editor design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these the icons you were waiting for that were from the dark new horizons style I did?

edit: not all added yet. But these are kind of old designs but designs i'll probably release first.

View attachment 48149
Wow! So pretty!!! :)

I am looking at it and thinking that I should never touch designing because I have spent an hour or two and came up with this crap. Although this is based on icon font, not images, so mono-color styling is easy (only if I know which color to chose!) :)

XenForoEditorToolbar.webp

Because its fairly ugly?
View attachment 48140

Grey is easier to create a gradient, it looks neutral and looks fairly decent in most styles (without edits).

I'll refer to Brogan's comment. It was designed to be grey, and doesn't look out of place or unfinished to me.
The blue mockup isn't ugly at all. That's far better than the current iteration. But I'm guessing Kier & co implemented it just for testing in this early beta and will be fine-tuning it colorwise before the final release.

Saying the grey version is good just because it was made that way just doesn't make sense. It clearly stands out of the general color scheme, making it look alienated and half-baked.

Same as TinyMCE then.

I'm sensing a pattern. :whistle:

I can't believe we're heading into double digits in page numbers over something that can be changed much easier than the previous editor. :confused: As I recall, there are people who aren't fond of XenForo's default style but I hardly see such a large fuss about something that has a larger presence on a site.

Last edited:
There were no complaints for three years.

Suddenly the editor is THE WORST EDITOR IN THE WORLD EVER, despite looking very similar and having more functionality.

And it's not like any features have been left out that are commonly used. (y)

There were no complaints for three years.

Suddenly the editor is THE WORST EDITOR IN THE WORLD EVER, despite looking very similar and having more functionality.
You don't have to yell. They are not designed the same way, there are some important differences.
  • The grey color is not the same, the old editor have a warmer tone which makes it far more compatible to the overall default theme. The new one is just colder and out-of-sync with the default theme.
  • The new editor suddenly introduces two opposite gradients which makes it appear noisier
  • The old editor has some color icons which makes it easier to find what you need

All of those points have been discussed ad nauseum.

Style it to suit, as with any other aspect of the design.

The grey color is not the same, the old editor have a warmer tone which makes it far more compatible to the overall default theme. The new one is just colder and out-of-sync with the default theme.
You can style that.
The new editor suddenly introduces two opposite gradients which makes it appear noisier
You can style that.
The old editor has some color icons which makes it easier to find what you need
You can style that.

All of those points have been discussed ad nauseum.

Style it to suit, as with any other aspect of the design.

You can style that.

You can style that.

You can style that.

So, if I understand you two correctly;

A worst-case scenario: Xenforo launches with an ugly pink background with no relations to the standard theme used. But the general consensus is; no worries, it can be styled!

The current editor is certainly no worse than TinyMCe and in my opinion it looks vastly better.

It should be nice that XenForo developers talk together, adjust slightly their default design (the gradient "problem" on buttons, the font weight on italic, underline, strike, and why not integrate a font-icon like major editors do in their last versions) to make everyone happy and stop this debate on design that is a prejudice of the work that has been done in the background. Telling "You can style that" is not going to make those customers happy.

It is impossible to please everyone all of the time.

Changing the gradient to suit the preference of one group is going to annoy another group who happen to think it looks OK as it is.

The problem with any styling change is that everyone is going to have a somewhat different opinion and preference. The key thing, in this case, is that it can be changed to suit personal preferences.

I could understand a customer revolt and passionate exchanges of opinion and demands for change from the developers if the editor was fixed in style, colour, icons, etc. and could not be changed - that would be a very dramatic and negative and backwards change IMHO - but thankfully that isn't the case and with just a few minutes work the entire editor look 'n' feel can be customised to suit your own personal preference. Fantastic. :D

The XF team have given us an editor with better functionality and better styling flexibility - that's a good thing isn't it? (y)

It is impossible to please everyone all of the time.

Changing the gradient to suit the preference of one group is going to annoy another group who happen to think it looks OK as it is.

May be taken the default icons of the CKE to integrate them in this branch of Redactor wasn't the best idea, nor the most convenient for high resolution screens. Now if both developers want to keep this and don't want to make any change, let's deal with that. They just have to say it and close that thread.

It should be nice that XenForo developers talk together, adjust slightly their default design (the gradient "problem" on buttons, the font weight on italic, underline, strike, and why not integrate a font-icon like major editors do in their last versions) to make everyone happy and stop this debate on design that is a prejudice of the work that has been done in the background. Telling "You can style that" is not going to make those customers happy.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom