XF 1.2 User Management Improvements

In the first of our spotlights on new features in 1.2, we're going to be looking at 2 user management improvements in particular. Keep an eye on this forum to see when we post more teasers. :)

Note that any features we demonstrate here are still in development, so things about them may change before they're released in a 1.2 beta.

User Merging
The first feature is rather important, though fairly simple to explain. In 1.2, you can now merge 2 users. The "source" user will have all of their content assigned to the "target" user and then the "source" user will be deleted.

It's very easy to use. From the user edit page in the admin CP, you can choose to merge:

ss-2013-03-15_13-54-30.webp

Then it's just a matter of choosing who you want to merge into:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

Bulk User Management
The other major improvement to user management is that you can now take an action on many users at once. Let's see how it works. First, you simply enter the criteria for the users to want to modify:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

This is just your standard user search form. As it stands, this form is identical to how it is in 1.1, but we'll be expanding it to give more search options.

Once you enter the criteria and submit the form, you get to see how many users matched along with the ability to view those matches. When you're happy, you can simply choose the action(s) you want to take and submit the form. Done!

ss-2013-03-15_14-01-09.webp

There are still some improvements coming to these features to provide more options, but these should hopefully address one of the short comings in XF 1.1.

Fudging finally I can merge users. Kinda late in the game though. Had to go about it a different way lol.

It's great to see you guys focusing on core, administrative functionality like this.

Features which make it easier for us control and manage our communities are critically important to our success, and ultimately the success of XenForo. (y)

Great improvements!

vBulletin has a cool search users (many criterias). But only with the search results can't do anything.
A function of mass delete / move users in vB has only 4 search criteria.
As a result, you can search for spammers by certain criteria and can't mass delete them.

I hope, Mike, this point will be much better in XenForo ;)

Ideally, search criteria must include almost all settings/values of profile (Gender, Date of Birth, Custom User Fields, Signature, Messengers, Style, Language, Time zone, etc.).

Will there be a normalization procedure for user merges and addons? For instance, right now I use username normalization for my addons... so if a username is changed, it will be changed across addons.

Code:
<?php

class EWRcarta_Listener_Init
{
    public static function listen(XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract $dependencies, array $data)
    {
        XenForo_DataWriter_User::$usernameChangeUpdates['permanent']['ewrcarta_history_username'] = array('EWRcarta_history', 'username', 'user_id');
    }
}

The part I emphasized is really the problem you're running into and it's something I hope to improve with 1.2 (more extensive search options).
While you're at it, please make sure to include searching by gender, too. I see a lot of spammers registering as female....

These spammers are the profile spam types.

User Merging
The first feature is rather important, though fairly simple to explain. In 1.2, you can now merge 2 users. The "source" user will have all of their content assigned to the "target" user and then the "source" user will be deleted.

just wondering what will happen to the "Likes" of the "source user" (old user) ?
Will those be re-named to the new user or show as "deleted user" ?

Will there be a normalization procedure for user merges and addons? For instance, right now I use username normalization for my addons... so if a username is changed, it will be changed across addons.
The exact location and structure of the variable has changed, but updating an array like that automatically handles username updates, user deletions, and user merging.

While you're at it, please make sure to include searching by gender, too. I see a lot of spammers registering as female....
You can. :)

just wondering what will happen to the "Likes" of the "source user" (old user) ?
Will those be re-named to the new user or show as "deleted user" ?
They get associated with the target user, though like other situations, the caches may not be updated.

2 very useful addition ... though I am still waiting for some option which enables me listing all the users with their information in tabular format from admin panel. This will be helpful of bulk deleting of unwanted users based on some criteria (for example, I want to delete all the users who did not provide any country details).

Top Bottom