XF 1.2 User Management Improvements

In the first of our spotlights on new features in 1.2, we're going to be looking at 2 user management improvements in particular. Keep an eye on this forum to see when we post more teasers. :)

Note that any features we demonstrate here are still in development, so things about them may change before they're released in a 1.2 beta.

User Merging
The first feature is rather important, though fairly simple to explain. In 1.2, you can now merge 2 users. The "source" user will have all of their content assigned to the "target" user and then the "source" user will be deleted.

It's very easy to use. From the user edit page in the admin CP, you can choose to merge:

ss-2013-03-15_13-54-30.webp

Then it's just a matter of choosing who you want to merge into:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

Bulk User Management
The other major improvement to user management is that you can now take an action on many users at once. Let's see how it works. First, you simply enter the criteria for the users to want to modify:

ss-2013-03-15_13-56-03.webp

This is just your standard user search form. As it stands, this form is identical to how it is in 1.1, but we'll be expanding it to give more search options.

Once you enter the criteria and submit the form, you get to see how many users matched along with the ability to view those matches. When you're happy, you can simply choose the action(s) you want to take and submit the form. Done!

ss-2013-03-15_14-01-09.webp

There are still some improvements coming to these features to provide more options, but these should hopefully address one of the short comings in XF 1.1.

Great to see some improvements on the Admin CP Page of a user. It would be great if you could add a link to show all content a user has made in the forum.

Also, it would be cool if the user page would show some information like the last login date / time and his registration date (maybe another tab?).

Its great that this vital function is getting implemented. I really hope that XF 1.2 will include more essentials. (especially those that Shawn implemented on DigitalPoint)

An important question about merging members:

Is there a log for staff to see which accounts were merged and which accounts the user previously had?
Without such log its very hard to keep track of users on a busy board.

That would really just be a user note/user log system as a separate feature (which has been requested).

There are still some improvements coming to these features to provide more options, but these should hopefully address one of the short comings in XF 1.1.
The user merge will be very welcomed, we currently have a couple user accounts in limbo as there's no way to merge them. Speaking of merging, directly merging two threads would also be welcomed.

Plus throw in a multi-quote function and in my opinion 1.2 would be a success with just those items.

That would really just be a user note/user log system as a separate feature (which has been requested).

A user log feature would be very useful.

A user note feature would be very useful if it was part of a larger, centralized system, like the report center.
The user note function in vb had the major weakness that it was not centralized and thus there was no way for staff to keep track of user notes. I hope that XF will implement a much more useful way of handling staff user notes and staff user alerts. I will see if I can find the suggestion thread and expand on this.

I have posted my suggestions here:
[Moderation] [New Feature] add note to userprofile / threads

That's great news.

The moderators probably need to move about 50 threads from the suggestions forums to the implemented forum now. ;)

Considering how the permissions system works, are there any plans to fine tune user searching in the ACP to where the Admin has true control over what the search results are?

For example, the way the existing system is designed to work, every member is going to be a member of the registered user group. So searching for ONLY registered members is useless, as everyone is a member of that group.

This has been my biggest pain since switching to XF. My ability to narrow down member searches is non-existent. Searching for just registered members, with 0 posts, who registered before X date is a common search for me. I can't do it with the existing system.

Top Bottom