This needs attention....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, wish I could have attained the same respect when I asked you to politely to abide by my feelings about sharing my work..Especially since you had been using my skin for nearly 2 years on your site...But all I got was some flak and eventually made out to be the bad guy, as is with this thread and anyone that stands up for this crap.

Just like me, you are one of the 8 people on his ignore list so don't expect a reply too soon.

On that note, there are a few people here distributing my work some I've gave permission, some I haven't. Those that didn't ask I could have asked them to remove (so far I haven't) I sat back, pondered and it benefits the community these distributions they made so I'm not to fussed speaking personally.

I understand your stance Shelley, but the only thing that bothered me originally with Adam's release of my copied Social skin was he added a footer link and was asking for a donation/money to remove it.

I would somewhat feel honored that someone wanted to use my work to inspire their own, but not to make a profit from something I wasn't profiting on.

I understand your stance Shelley, but the only thing that bothered me originally with Adam's release of my copied Social skin was he added a footer link and was asking for a donation/money to remove it.

I would somewhat feel honored that someone wanted to use my work to inspire their own, but not to make a profit from something I wasn't profiting on.

I'm not questioning you, You have to do what you feel is right. :) on one hand I can see Adam is trying to do good and your trying to protect your work. So are others. I'm just saying with some of my work being distributed here I've either allowed it, or turned a blind eye to it because it's benefited people here.

Anyway, after yesterdays fiasco I think something different on todays menu hopefully get an update out on a pack.

As an artist I've been copied before and I hated it when they didn't give credit. Sometimes I'm flattered but if I gets no credit I wanna baconslap them back to Mecca so I feel you on this.

As an artist I've been copied before and I hated it when they didn't give credit. Sometimes I'm flattered but if I gets no credit I wanna backslap the sh!t out of em so I feel you on this.

baconslap is so much more affective. warm the bacon up slightly, ensure it's atleast half an inch thick and start waving the bacon slice from side to sideand really put in the effort with one might blow. The outcome? The offender won't even know what hit them until a week later and you've just gotten away with bacon slap that offender. Win/win

edit: Add salt to the bacon.

baconslap is so much more affective. warm the bacon up slightly, ensure it's atleast half an inch thick and start waving the bacon slice from side to sideand really put in the effort with one might blow. The outcome? The offender won't even know what hit them until a week later and you've just gotten away with bacon slap that offender. Win/win

edit: Add salt to the bacon.
Upon further reflection you are right so I edited my post and included a location where bacon is not appreciated, thank you!

My resources aren't good enough to be pirated :(

You've released resources? :eek:

:p I'm joking

Your resources are awesome. Your most recent one is so good, I'M going to pirate it for you (if it makes you feel any better).

I'm joking again.

We are still allowed to joke around here, right? :unsure:
I was just looking in to licensing it under a Creative Commons license, cause I want people to work on it and make alterations. I am just torn on what license to choose. In a perfect world, I would go for share alike, but I know that will discourage many people from working on it, so it will most likely only be an attribution license.

The other two are just so basic, I don't see the need to have a license for them. One is also a derivative work, I just shared it because I find it useful, I take no credit for the code.

Edit:
Can I pirate it also then if chris is allowed?
Go nuts, once I add a license to it, anyone can do whatever they want. Stay away from the sign up / sign in one though :)

I was just looking in to licensing it under a Creative Commons license, cause I want people to work on it and make alterations. I am just torn on what license to choose. In a perfect world, I would go for share alike, but I know that will discourage many people from working on it, so it will most likely only be an attribution license.

The other two are just so basic, I don't see the need to have a license for them. One is also a derivative work, I just shared it because I find it useful, I take no credit for the code.

Have I seen any of your works before?

Edit:

Go nuts, once I add a license to it, anyone can do whatever they want. Stay away from the sign up / sign in one though :)

I was kidding. :) I can't touch anyone's work I'd feel like i'm stealing. I'm the kind of person that will either design/code it and if my talent doesn't stretch that far I do without. I wouldn't mind seeing some screenies of your work though if you have time to post some previews?

Have I seen any of your works before?
I don't know, I don't really advertise them. I know Adam is using one of them on his site: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/floating-sign-in-sign-up-box.985/
I don't take much credit for that though.

My recent one is the only thing I really "worked hard" on, and it is far from the standard I want it to be: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/quickreply-for-guests.1034/
I just released it so others could use it, or make it better, hence why I want to license it under a creative commons license.

All my work is protected by the Chris Deeming license.

Contact me if you want to remix it, edit it, redistribute it.

If you do anything without my permission, I'll break your legs *

* May not actually be true.

I like keeping license simple :D

I was kidding. :) I can't touch anyone's work I'd feel like i'm stealing. I'm the kind of person that will either design/code it and if my talent doesn't stretch that far I do without. I wouldn't mind seeing some screenies of your work though if you have time to post some previews?

Just for you:
editor.webp

And my own implementation on a fixed width style:
editor_fixed.webp

Disclaimer: Was not intending to dimish anyones concerns and derail this topic, just wanted to lighten the mood a bit

Well I'm a strong believer that it only takes a minute to ask <insert author> to re-work their resource and re-distribute it. It's a nice gesture the author will take kindly to and some of the time will say yes to distributing their works.

Take for example the mood icons i did (mammoth project) 2 translators translated them and they are distributing them, they asked and I am greatfull they spent the time translating them. Same with Stewart providing the sql file and sorting the smiley extended spritesheet is another example of people joining up and working together helping each other to help the community.

I always envisioned when i first visited xenforo Designers coders artist working together, pulling their efforts, talents into creating more polished resources due to their expertise in certain areas. Although some people do work together not on the scale i first envisioned. perhaps one day we'll see a bigger group working together releasing resources and building frameworks for people with less knowledge to work from and re-distribute as their own resources.

Anyway, thinking out loud there and rambling on a bit.

Just for you:
View attachment 34766

And my own implementation on a fixed width style:
View attachment 34767

Disclaimer: Was not intending to dimish anyones concerns and derail this topic, just wanted to lighten the mood a bit

Yeah that's great work. I was kind of working on something similar a while ago but I could never get it to work...

Ideally it was going to allow you to type a message, detect you weren't registered, allow you to log in / sign up then return you back to the editor where the post would be ready to send. I was never good enough to get very far with it.

But, really, this is even better. Much more elegant, I feel.

Yeah that's great work. I was kind of working on something similar a while ago but I could never get it to work...

Ideally it was going to allow you to type a message, detect you weren't registered, allow you to log in / sign up then return you back to the editor where the post would be ready to send. I was never good enough to get very far with it.

But, really, this is even better. Much more elegant, I feel.
I feel it is a hack, not much more. I don't like the CSS, I had to redo so much of the default styling, and I always try to minimize that when working on xF. I have updated it with a very loose Creative Commons license though: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
I am actually surprised people are excited about it o_O

I also waive the attribution for any sites using it, it is only for the remix combined with redistribute part.
Well I'm a strong believer that it only takes a minute to ask <insert author> to re-work their resource and re-distribute it. It's a nice gesture the author will take kindly to and some of the time will say yes to distributing their works.

Take for example the mood icons i did (mammoth project) 2 translators translated them and they are distributing them, they asked and I am greatfull they spent the time translating them. Same with Stewart providing the sql file and sorting the smiley extended spritesheet is another example of people joining up and working together helping each other to help the community.

I always envisioned when i first visited xenforo Designers coders artist working together, pulling their efforts, talents into creating more polished resources due to their expertise in certain areas. Although some people do work together not on the scale i first envisioned. perhaps one day we'll see a bigger group working together releasing resources and building frameworks for people with less knowledge to work from and re-distribute as their own resources.

Anyway, thinking out loud there and rambling on a bit.
I understand your sentiments, but I also love it when people remix my work, and I would love to see whatever they are doing. I do not do this for a living, I do it because I have fun doing it, and part of the fun is to see it being used. Someone else might have different expectations of what they release, so they might not be that lenient with their work. I was really torn when selecting a license for my quick reply resource, but in the end I went with the least restrictive one, because I want people to adapt it, and not adding any limitations on what they can do with their adapted work was the best route to achieve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom